Conference Question

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MNTeacher, Nov 5, 2009.

1. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Nov 5, 2009

How do you present information at kindergarten conferences? This is my first year teaching kindergarten (taught 3/4 previously) and I am not sure what to do. I have a lot of first time parents in my class. Do you have an agenda? What does it look like?

Thanks for your help!

3. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Nov 5, 2009

I'm assuming this goes with report cards so be prepared to go over the report card and comment on the kids' progress in each area. Be prepared to answer questions about why they 'only' got a 2 in English or whatever (although rarely do I get asked this because I explain first).

Have an agenda so you are sure to say all you want to say. Some parents don;t know how to start the conversation, or may want to chat on random topics like how the Yanks spanked the Phillies. :D

Be sure to talk about the child by name, pointing out their good points as well as anything they are struggling with. Have suggestions ready for how they can help their child in any problem areas.

But don't do all the talking. You can learn a lot by checking the parents out.

And DON'T allow them to go over time. If their time is up and the conversation is still going, inform them that the next family is waiting and offer to schedule an appointment to meet further with them.