Conference Cancelled Due To Sub Shortage

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mariecurie, Feb 19, 2015.

1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Feb 19, 2015

My district paid for me to attend a PD conference this weekend. I was all set to go tomorrow, with a sub lined up, hotel reserved, and my plans all ready. My P stopped me after school and said that because there's a shortage of subs in my district, and other people have already taken sick days for tomorrow, I will have to stay home. Is this typical? The registration fees aren't refundable, so they're losing that money. They don't want me to cancel my sub so they can use him or her tomorrow. My P actually said that they probably would have called me in the morning anyway, whether I was on my way to the conference or not, to tell me to come back. The whole thing is very disappointing. I'm 99% sure they're not renewing my contract next year, so it's hard not to take it personally. Part of me thinks it IS personal, knowing my P.

Anyone with insight as to whether or not this is would happen in another district?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 19, 2015

It wouldn't happen in my district. In my district, they would pull a support staff member from somewhere, or they would divide up the class and send students to other teachers.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 19, 2015

This happened in my previous district (horrible place in general). The P resented people going to PD because she saw it as an excuse to get out of teaching for the day, even if it was supported or even mandated by the district. The district had all new teachers to the district attend a reading workshop that was 5 days spread throughout the year, and my P called one or more of us back every day. She forced us to come back if there was no sub and "encouraged" us to not go even if we could get one. She was crazy! In my current district, this would not happen. For one, it's a better school so we have an easier time getting subs. In an emergency, they would pull a non-classroom teacher to cover, which has only happened twice in the two years I've been there. They can't pull me because my instructional minutes are required, but they can pull title or ELL. Our ELL teacher got stuck teaching Kindergarten last week!

5. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Feb 19, 2015

That's really disappointing. I'm sorry. There is a sub shortage nearly every day in my district and, in emergencies, they break up classes among the grade level, cancel a prep teacher's classes so they can sub for a classroom teacher, or have an ell teacher or the vp sub. I think it is crazy to ask you to miss a conference for something that is really just an inconvenience.

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Feb 19, 2015

We are required to check if we have an assigned sub the morning of a PD. If there is no sub, we are expected to go skip the PD. Sick days take precedence. We recently had 9 teachers scheduled for a math PD and 5 had to leave and return to school. Our district has a ridiculous sub shortage.

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Feb 19, 2015

This is happening all over in my district. I find it really strange. I even had a principal call me last week to confirm I was going to for sure be there for this upcoming week...everyone is freaking out. We need more subs!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 19, 2015

Due to a sub shortage in my (CA) disrict, I usually sub at least 2x/month when my site is in need!

My principal prefers for me to take over the class myself versus splitting up the kids amongst the rest of the grade-level. A few weeks ago, we were down two subs, so he and I both ended up subbing. It was nuts!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

If there is a shortage, anyone involved in PD may be called back to school.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 20, 2015

This would never happen at my school - I can't imagine people thinking it is okay for a professional educator to miss their time to be able to learn new skills or teaching methods. Especially when it has already been paid for!

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 20, 2015

The only time something like this happened was when we had all of our teachers in two departments out at workshops, and we had a huge group from central office come observe us. To avoid subs being observed and counting on our school rating, they called the teachers back for an hour until the observers left.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

I should add that pulling us back from PD wouldn't be the first option. They would try to cover another way, but if it wasn't possible, we would be asked to come in to school.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

We have days when there are quite a few teachers scheduled for PD and if there are also personal days on the same date, a few sick day calls can tip the balance. If they can't arrange coverage within the building, someone gets pulled from PD. Sucks. We have a pretty deep sub pool but not all are often available. That's why it surprises me so much when I read here on the forums about districts who aren't accepting any more subs for approval.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 20, 2015

Nope, wouldn't happen in my school. I had to go to a conference once and they didn't have anyone to cover my class so the music teacher stepped in.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

This wouldn't happen in any of the districts I've worked in. They would pull a support person from somewhere to cover the classes that needed covering.

16. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Feb 20, 2015

So, when I got to school I found out that there are only four absences, and they are all covered by subs. Ugh.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 20, 2015

We are expected to check Smartfind and see if our class is covered that morning. If it's not, we're expected to be at school.

If it seems like it's covered, but the sub is a no show, we'd be called back.

At the current moment, I'm dealing with a conference I was asked to attend that I really don't want to because I just went to a PD this week, will go to one over the weekend, and the conference I don't want to attend will be on Monday. I'm conferenced-out. Plus the P cancelled on me (she was going to attend) and is asking me to find a replacement for her short notice. (not going to happen-nobody here likes to create sub plans and leave class for a day)

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 20, 2015

I've never seen this happen in my district. Personal days may not be approved if we have too many out, but that's rare.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 20, 2015

We have a shortage of subs this year, but that would never happen. If there's no sub an no sped teacher or aide to cover, we split the kids. If it were a personal day my principal might would ask if there was a way for us to change our plans, but she would never require us to.

20. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Feb 20, 2015

I'm at a private school, but what you described would not happen in my school, or in any schools I've worked in. They had already paid for it so that's an investment wasted. Wow.

If we are short on subs other teachers step in to cover classes, or classes are combined.

21. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Feb 21, 2015

My district has had a sub shortage all year. I suppose that means the economy is sufficiently recovering so that people who don't really want to do it are finding jobs elsewhere. This year also seems to be the first year the districts in the area have really done any type of hiring. Since my school is one of the Title I schools in the district, we're often the ones who suffer. Subs are scheduled, then they cancel. There's the suspicion that they're taking jobs in the "easier" schools. Admin pulls RTI teachers if it gets really bad.

It could really be alleviated by just making the job a bit more desirable. A neighboring district raised their daily and long term pay this year, so they now pay substantially more than then the districts around them. Anyone listed in multiple districts would probably take the job that pays more.

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 21, 2015

We have a major sub shortage too. It's really hard to be absent. However, I don't think my P would ever pull someone out of a PD. She would split the class up (we do that semi-often), or, if truly desperate, she would take the class herself, though she's trying not to do that so much anymore. We don't have any other admin at our site - VP or anything, so it's hard for her to be in a classroom all day.

However, she would also probably not approve more than maybe 3 people going to a PD on the same day BECAUSE of the sub shortage.

23. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Feb 21, 2015

If we cancel within 3 days of the conference the college that rearranges PD for the school districts in my state will not let you sign up for for another. You have to wait somewhere around 90-180 days; depending on the type of conference. They see it as another teacher could have really needed that spot and now can't have it. Last year I was not allowed to go to any, but at my new school district this year I been to 5.

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 21, 2015

This has happened before, but the person wasn't even able to sign up for the PD because there were already so many people scheduled to be away.

There have been a few times where our principal has warned us that there are NO available subs for specific days and we should do everything we can to be at school. She has stepped in a subbed before.

25. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Feb 22, 2015

Obviously, sub pay and conditions need to be better! If teachers are supposed to be going to professional development, the district needs to figure out a way to get subs.
    I have been to a number of trainings that were supposed to involve a whole team of teachers with an outside consultant, that wasted a huge amount of time in the morning because half the team was stuck in their classrooms until coverage could be arranged--subs had been requested, but didn't show up, or none picked up the jobs.
    And then all of us are wasting time, and the district mandated training is not getting done, etc. Since we have gone to a schedule of only two days PD before the kids start at the beginning of the year, we really need the release days! I would think it might make more sense to have some more PD days before the kids come or between semesters and give the kids time off, but we don't schedule it that way.