Conducting 10 minute sample lesson plan for superintendent tomorrow!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Tek, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jun 25, 2012

Hi everyone, would love your advice/help wherever possible. A school is heavily pursuing me and it's very very encouraging! The phone interview went well this past Friday, and I was asked to deliver a 10 minute lesson plan (out of a 45-minute lesson plan; they only wish to see 10 minutes of it). Here's the California standard they want me to focus on:

Grade 1 reading standard 3.0 Literary Response & Analysis

which states "Grade 1: 3
    3. Describe characters, settings, and major
    events in a story, using key details."

Anyone have a suggested book and/or 45 minute written lesson plan to show me? Of course, I'm coming up with my own but right now am also exploring my options. Feel free to send me a private message. Tomorrow is a huge day, although I don't want to make it too big of a deal. Worst comes to worst, I don't get the position and I march on. I'm trying to keep things in perspective, but I'm definitely excited.

Thanks in advance! :)

3. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jun 25, 2012

Also, just for clarification:

They want to see me conduct 10 minutes of a 45 minute lesson plan.

Do I conduct the part where I actually read the book to the students? Because that might take close to 10 minutes. Or do they specifically want to see me doing the 'directed teaching' following reading the story (but without me actually reading the story; I'm afraid they might not get the context but then again I'm sure they would know almost every 1st grade book)

Thoughts?

4. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 25, 2012

Are you submitting the full forty five minute lesson in writing? If they will have the full lesson plan in front of them I don't think they would be confused of the context. I would think they would rather see you doing the direct teaching portion instead of just doing the read aloud. I think you could just mention that the direct teaching portion would follow after the read aloud. Good luck!

5. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jun 25, 2012

I will be; it sounds like they want me to submit my lesson plan to them. I agree that doing just the read-aloud wouldn't make sense, especially if they can't round up a few of the summer kids to be a mock audience for me.

Do you have any 1st grade book suggestions?

Right now I'm thinking of using the book First Day Jitters. It's one of my personal favorites and I must have read it to kids 100s of times over the last 4 years :p

6. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 25, 2012

I teach second grade, but First Day Jitters is a great book and very well known. Off of the top of my head I don't have any specific suggestions. I would choose a book you are familiar with, that you enjoy, and that has a lot of stuff you could pull in to discuss the topics from the standard :)

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 25, 2012

I don't have a book suggestion for you, but as for as what part to present I'd do whatever you'd do right after reading the book. Make sure your lesson plan clearly states the parts of the book when you pause and ask questions and how the students will answer (think/pair/share for example).

Best of luck to you on your lesson!

8. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

I think that most of these demo lessons are evaluated on how effective you are on reaching every student in the group. They will evaluate you on the types of questions you ask, your response, ...your preparedness to address the millions of things that can happen in 10 minutes.

Noisy Nora by Rosemary Wells is an excellent book for the demo lesson. It easily allows the students to make connections and have a deep discussion about the characters.

Plans questions from every level of the DOK.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2012

Good luck!

10. Tek

Tek Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

Did a 15 minute demo and then had another hour long interview. At the end they asked if I had any questions and I asked what's the next step?

That's when they offered me the position and I agreed!

It's a verbal agreement and I will have a board interview Thursday (a mere formality they tell me) before they officially have me sign the contract.

I'm sooo thrilled :) Now I got 2 months to study up on 1st grade and first year teacher stories. I guess I better re-read Harry Wong's The First Days of School ;)

Expect me to post a thread in this forum soon... haha ;)

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2012

Congrats!

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 27, 2012

That's awesome! Congrats!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2012

Congratulations!