Condescending Para

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GGarcia, Aug 9, 2013.

1. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Aug 9, 2013

I've been helping out in an elementary classroom this week since I don't start for two weeks. The teacher is a family friend and is older with 35+ years of experience. She is fantastic. However, she has a student with mild autism this year and was given a one on one para. The para is very young with not much experience. Yet, she is very condescending towards the teacher. It is sad to watch. The teacher accidentally called the student a slightly different name (it has only been a few days since school started) and the para corrected her in a very snotty way. The para has made lots of little comments about how she knows so much, when she clearly doesn't. What really makes me sad is that this para takes notes and then after school discusses everything with parent in the hall. I happened to be walking by and she just made negative, snide comments about the teacher to the parent. It just makes me sad, since I have been in the class all week and the teacher is so wonderful. Do I tell the teacher what I heard?

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2013

Better yet tell the boss. Or tell the "para" what you are observing and how unprofessional it is.

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, I would be telling that teacher whats going on. At the very least she should know whats going on.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2013

Tell the teacher, then go to the AP or P. That is highly unprofessional.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

In my district, paras are not allowed to discuss students or school-related matters with parents. They are instructed to refer parents who have questions or concerns to the teacher or administrators.

I agree with the others. Tell the teacher and the principal.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2013

You are a professional, and you've witnessed an unprofessional act. The thing is, I'm not sure you are the one to take it to the P or AP since this isn't your school community. Certainly, you must tell the teacher and she should take this higher ASAP before it becomes a bigger issue. As bella said, in my school the paras are not allowed to discuss a student with the parents. Last year, we had a parent of an autistic student come to the front office and have the para paged to discuss something. It became a big deal because our policy is different from the elementary.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 10, 2013

If I were the parent of a special needs child whose para acted so unprofessionally, I would go to the P. If I were the one who observed it, I would also go to the P. JMHO

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

You're a volunteer, not an employee of the school, if I'm understanding correctly...tell the teacher...she's you're friend, you respect her... She'll know whether to take this further.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

I would tell the teacher what you observed.