Concerns about grade level partner

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkLily, Apr 30, 2009.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Apr 30, 2009

My grade level partner is a very nice person, and we get along well. Unfortunately, I don't think that she's a great teacher. She doesn't seem to know how to teach the outcomes in a way that the students will understand. She also seems to have a hard time developing meaningful activities to help her students learn. I tried to help her out in the beginning, but she just doesn't seem to get it. I honestly don't think that she thinks there's a problem and, of course, I've never said anything. Normally, I would just do my own thing and let her do hers, but our school wants us to work more collaboratively with our grade level partners and maybe even do some team-teaching. There are two reasons why this concerns me. First of all, it's hard to collaborate with her because she has nothing to share with me, so I have to do all the work. Second, I don't feel comfortable with her teaching and working with my students. I wish that I could express my concerns to my principal, but I think that would be unprofessional. What do you think?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2009

That's a very tricky situation. I would hope that the admin. would be aware of how she teaches, but I know that is often not the case. Hmmmmmm... I am curious to see what others say.

4. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

May 1, 2009

I have the same concerns about the teacher I work with. We both teach the same age group, but I don't really want her teaching my class even though we are supposed to team teach and our classes are combined for music and similar activities. she is very disorganised whereas I am very organised and can't stand to be hanging around waiting for her to get organised especially when it is a combined lesson the kids are starting to get very restless because its taken 10 mins to just get started! I just try to hang in there and be as positive about it as possible, yet make sure we don't spend too much time together!

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 1, 2009

If I was you, I would keep doing my own thing. Share what you want to share, and you should keep being positive. My group does not collaborate tooo much, but we are going to try to next year.

6. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

May 1, 2009

Thanks for your advice. I won't do or say anything just yet. I'll wait until next year and see how things go. Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll change grade levels.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 2, 2009

If the team collaboration is more than just the two of you, will you have a team leader? Someone will have to be in charge and assign lessons and say "Mary, you put together the science activities for September and let me have a look next week. Sue, you get the writing activities lined out - we'll meet next week and see what we all have."

If it is more than just you two, the others will see what is happening and something will have to be done.She needs some guidance, but I don't think that is your responsibility.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 3, 2009

This is why I've always hated cooperative learning activities. It seemed one person ended up doing everything and the others just drag along and get credit.

For you, this is a sticky situation. It's not your responsibility to teach her, she needs to be doing her part 100%. Unfortunately, there's slackers in every profession and probably every district in the U.S.

Do you know if this teacher is in any kind of trouble with her evaluations from the principal, is she on some sort of remediation plan?

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 3, 2009

I went through this with my grade level last year. The rest of my team wanted to group the kids and switch for reading and math - I do not agree with the way that they teach (90% worksheets-in Kinder). I approached it with the P more from the standpoint that I disagreed with team teaching in general - not necessarily attacking the teachers' performance. It worked, I got to stay self-contained this year.

Is she a first year teacher? If you do end up having to collaborate maybe even make a form that lists the objectives you need to do lessons for - each of you fill out your ideas then meet to draw up the plans. If she came with an empty page each week, maybe it would be obvious to her that she wasn't doing enough.

10. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

May 3, 2009

Bonneb, it's just the two of us in our grade level, so I'm basically on my own.

Kinder, she's definitely not a first year teacher. She's actually been teaching longer than I have!

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 4, 2009

You might have to talk to the P. Maybe see how the planning goes during inservice. Take charge and let her know you expect activities for the kids. You guys can work together on planning, or you can each take an area. If she doesn't do well, ask her if she needs help. If she won't do the job and won't accept help, you will need to go to the p.