Concerned.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by brandi0718, Jul 14, 2009.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I am going on my 3rd year of teaching and I love my grade and school, but I am NOT excited about going back to school! The past 2 years I was soooooo excited and looking forward to school starting.......I am worried that I am not going to have a good year because of this....Has anyone gone through anything like this? Is there anything I can do to maybe help me get excited?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

Relax. It's just that the honeymoon is over :)

You're competant and confident. But after a while, you realize that, as much as you love it, teaching is work,and that sometimes play is more fun than work.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation, and go back relaxed and refreshed.

4. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I will tell you that every year gets easier because you feel more competent in your content area(s) and in your teaching prowess. That is not to say things can't get challenging, but you feel better equipped to handle challenging things as the years go on. Maybe you just needed a good long break this summer! Try to make some time for you every day during the school year (exercise, reading a book, doing something relaxing, etc.) and maybe that will help you not feel like life is about to be over (you could also try rearranging your classroom or creating a new theme or unit or something if you think it might motivate you.) We teachers can sometimes exhaust all of our resources until there is nothing left! I hope you have a great year and don't worry--you can make it a great one.

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

I agree with Alice. This is going to be my sixth year, and for the first time I am JUST NOW getting geared up ~ slowly. I am enjoying the time off, the time with my kids, and the time to not have to stick to anyone else's schedule but my own.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

Alice said it - the honeymoon is over. But if you still enjoy school and where you work you are one of the lucky ones. This means you probably have staying power (lots of teachers don't). I know teachers you almost have to drag into school for inservice, but when they get there, they are happy and ready to go.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

It's true. You're probably also reading many of our posts and how we are so excited about trying new things, etc...It's perfectly fine if you don't feel that way. There are probably a lot more teachers who are not excited about the upcoming year. You started this thread topic. Watch how fast others beginning admitting they feel the same way. Many of us come here for different reasons. If you need to talk about how you are not excited about returning to school, it's fine. We've all been there at one time or another.

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

I felt exactly like that my third year (last year). I was coming off of having a wonderful group of kids and had heard that the group coming in were loud and badly behaved. Well, turns out I loved them and it was a great year!

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

Consider it a successful vacation period if you don't want it to end :)

10. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I am in your shoes almost exactly. I loved my first year and I felt so good about teaching by the summer. I was ready and excited for the year to start. My second year (last year) was not as great. I think I had really high expectations of myself that I don't think I lived up to. I was teaching a new grade with a team that did not work together on anything. I had 18 kids either come or go throughout the year so my class list was constantly changing and I had trouble with evil parents who made up lies and kids with bad attitudes. It was like the first part of the year went okay and then after winter break it all came crashing down. On top of that I am switching grades again and I will have another non-teamworking team mate. Because of all this I am really not looking forward to this next year and I am almost dreading going back. It really worries me.

But I have come up with a game plan and I intend to stick to it. So I have hope. I still really like teaching and in my heart I know I want to keep at it. But it's hard to get past that nagging part of my brain that is acting liking a kid throwing a temper tantrum and screaming for summer vacation to never end! :p

So just enjoy your summer and try not to think about school until the last possible moment. I'm sure we will both have great 3rd years.

11. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

Enjoy the vacation, there is nothing wrong with you. As it gets closer and you want to get excited, try changing something about your room or schedule. Start up a teacher website or something that gets you excited but doesn't take up a ton of your time. :)

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Same here! I am entering my fourth year, and unlike in the past I've not spent the summer eagerly anticipating and preparing for the incoming class. I'm sure when the students arrive the excitement will return, but honestly, I just love being home and would stay at home and just volunteer in the schools if I could.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

Hey, we're enjoying our vacation! Also, you do feel more confident. This is the first year I haven't gone overboard in preparing for next year, though I may be developing a few hands-on resources soon for reading/math centers.

14. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

Thank you all so much for the responses....they really make me feel better....i hope yall have a wonderful school year!

15. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

Ditto - that is soooo true!

16. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

I wasn't really looking forward to going back this year for a long time. And sometimes I still dread it. This is going to be my 10th year, but this year I have 30 kids with no aide, no partner teacher, and an empty room across the hall. It's going to be a challenging year, and yes, there are days when I am not looking forward to it.

But then I come here and read others thoughts about what they are going to do to make their year great, and I get super ideas that I can't wait to try! I find new resources that I can use to enhance my lessons, and I can't wait to implement them.

I'm sure that this year is going to be different and maybe difficult, but I know that I love teaching and that I am good at it, so I try to put my stresses aside, and enjoy the summer!