CONCERNED!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brandi0718, Aug 10, 2010.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I am starting my 4th year of teaching. I teach 1st grade and I have for all 4 years......I was NOT excited at all about school starting....I feel like I just stay stressed out.....I know a lot of the problem was that we didn't get out of school until June 18th and then I taught summer school until July 23rd and we started the 2010-2011 school year yesterday...so I am not rested at all......BUT.....is it normal to not be excited about the new year? I have decided that this coming summer I will not teach summer school....that way I can rest and give teaching a break............I just hope I become excited soon!!!! :unsure:

3. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I think it could be because you are getting burnt out by school!! I would def. not do summer school next year, give yourself a nice relaxing summer! (I know the money can be good, but...) I decided to not do summer school this year because I had just finished my masters and I needed a break.

See if there is anything you can do to make things a bit "easier" on yourself work-wise. THEN, take a weekend, get togehter friends/sig. other etc and go out of town or go somewhere fun and relaxing. It doesnt have to be anything big, but getting out of town and even just going a few towns over to a hotel with a pool and a hot tub can make a big difference.

Maybe even talk to someone at school about it. Ive had times where I had to actually go to our guidance counsoler(sp)... I joke that she and our secretaries are my therapists... just talking makes me feel better!

Everyone has these rough times where you just feel BLAH... I hope you get through it quick!!! :)

4. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

Can you pinpoint which part of teaching is stressing you out the most? Is it behavior, testing, coworkers, curriculum, etc.? Maybe someone on the board can give you some ideas on how to lessen that stress and focus on what you do like about teaching. Just a couple of weeks until labor day! Start planning something fun to do now.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

That was me last year! And it was my 4th year last year. Interesting.

Good news - I am VERY excited this year! The fire is lit again.

6. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I think it has a lot to do with behavior and class size.....I have 24 students right now....26 on roll.....Of the 24 that have come to class I have 19 girls and 5 boys.....My neighbor only have 19 students and they are a good mix....Several of the kids I have throw HUGE fits and scream when they don't get their way....

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

I am struggling with the same feelings and am starting my 18th year....but it's getting better, little by little.

8. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I know the feeling also. Last year was a rough year. I was having trouble but once I got back into the classroom and started working on it, I am getting pretty excited about going back.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

When ever we notice discrepencies (sp) in our class sizes and boy to girl ratios, we take it to the principal and ask if things can be changed around. Sometimes it's just a mistake that can be easily corrected. If you have a heavier load and more of the emotional/behavioral kids, things definitely need to be rearranged. Speaking up and asking about it is the right thing to do in order to be fair to all the children in your classroom. And, as someone said, the school counselor is a great person to talk to when you're feeling stressed. I utilize both the counselor and the school psychologist when I'm feeling overloaded with my students and their issues. We are only human and everyone needs help.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2010

Our district won't make those kinds of changes until October (students report to school on August 18). With our current enrollment, I'll have 31 first graders until October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

You need a break.

Start now to plan a vacation for Christmas break. A ski trip to Vail or Massachusetts or Vermont. A week on an island somewhere, lying on the beach and drinking something with an umbrella in it. Disneyworld.

It's tough when you feel that all you do is work.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

I think your plan to take the summer off is a good idea. I worked (not teaching) this summer and I really would like to take next summer off too. This is only my 2nd year, so I am still excited about starting the new school year. Maybe it's also partially because of the grade-level change that you are not feeling excited. I sure hope things turn around for you!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2010

I realize many teachers want to teach summer school, but for your own well-being, I strongly advise taking every other summer off at least. So that's definitely a good idea to tk this next summer off.

14. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

Oh my - one year I had 27 students, 9 boys and 18 girls - tough year. The following year I had 26 students, 17 boys and 9 girls - much better! Interestingly, I would have predicted the "boy-heavy" year to have been more challenging, but it was fabulous!

I agree - use that summer school $ and to somewhere fun for Fall Break or Christmas Vacation!!