Concern about an upcoming interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dl101, Jul 19, 2016.

1. dl101

dl101 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016

While I am excited about the opportunity for an interview for a position in my content area (music), after going through scheduling the interview, the principal asked me to bring my rating and my observations.

Now, some background information about me: I finished my first year teaching and was almost non-renewed. I resigned on my own terms. I was rated as "developing," but my four formal observations were unsatisfactory, though the first one I had was actually the best one. The other three were significantly worse.

I know that classroom management concerns was the main reason for the unsatisfactory evaluations, but I need suggestions on how to explain myself or address any concerns that this new principal may have regarding my past performance, so I don't hurt my chances of being selected.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

3. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 19, 2016

You're going to have to face the observations. Have concrete plans on what you will do to change the bad things and highlight the good ones.

4. dl101

dl101 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016

I did create a classroom management plan complete with a list of routines, rules, consequences, and reward systems that I will carry out in the beginning of the year. That's one of the things I didn't do so well in the beginning of the year last year.

5. Jax123

Jax123 Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

Did you have this interview yet?
    It might be helpful to mention that you would like to attend training on classroom management or go to workshops. You can say you did research online about the topic or asked colleagues for advice.
    I'm not sure why the person who did those observations did not give you guidance on how to improve in that area.

6. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 22, 2016

Because so many admins are scared to death at giving feedback because they might get sued. Yes, that is from an admin I know well.