Computers in the classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

Until this next year, we had computers in a shared space that two rooms would both use. Now, I am going to a new part of the building, and will have 4-5 classroom computers.

What kinds of things do your students regululary do on the computer?? I am fluent in most programs, but not as good about integrating it as I could be.

Currently, students type stories on the computers and we have done whole class power points. One year we made videos in imovie. My school is not very much into technology, and I don't have my own projector, smart board or anything like that. I have a projector that the whole school shares that could be used for teaching lessons.

I was thinking of doing podcasting or blogging, but am not sure about how much time it would take.

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

Hey there! I am not sure what your location is, but if you are near an Apple store you should definitely take advantage of it (you said you used iMovie so I'm assuming you've got macs in your classroom, how wonderful!). Apple offers free workshops in all of their software, you can learn how to do podcasts, movies, make songs in garageband, even create a classroom website. There are many different ways you can incorporate the computer into your classroom, but the first step is knowing what the computers have to offer! I would go to www.apple.com/retail and choose your location - on the store's website it will show you a listing of their free workshops. If you really wanted to get into it, there is a service called "one to one training" that is only $99 for an entire year. You can meet with an Apple certified trainer once per week for an entire year. They can help you become familiar with the software, choose new software titles for your classroom, finish projects, get started on projects, etc. That would be your best bet for becoming familiar with the computer and all that it can do for you! We made mother's day videos in my class this year (I teach Special Ed and this was quite a breakthrough for a few of my kids) . We wrote out poems and then I had the kids read the poems on camera, I then let them click around and pick the music to go behind it, the color for their fonts, etc. I also had them draw little pictures which we scanned and put on the DVD covers. This was not only a great mother's day project, but the kids practiced their writing, reading, behavior, and technology skills! I try to use the computer as much as possible with my kiddos, because it's likely technology that is going to be helping them with their future. I think it's really important for you to get your kids keyboarding so that they don't hunt and peck when they type. It's always impressive to see an 8 year old typing 20-25 words per minute (which is possible with practice!) There are also several programs for sale at the Apple store (if your school purchases software... you can check them out!) -- I think one of them is called "Elementary Standards." It has all of the state testing standards for every state, you can do practice tests and it will tell you the areas you need to work on, etc. It's pretty great, and it's for the mac!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

Thanks! There are a few mac stores around, so I will go and take a class. I am so excited! I know imovie well, from personal use, but would like to find out about making a website and podcasting. Sounds great!

5. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I have four student computers as well. Students use them to take AR quizzes, do Successmaker reading and math, play math games during math centers rotations, and publish final drafts. I typically reserve a time in one of the school's full-size labs for whole class technology projects.

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

7. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

My students access sites to practice math skills, post on their blogs, list to podcasts that their classmates have done, etc. Technology is a huge part of my classroom, so my students are always on our laptops doing some sort of project. They've also created PowerPoints, movies, wikipages, digital stories, etc. This year I'm hoping to have each student create an e-potfolio, which is where they'll create their own webpage and post work and various information on it.

8. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

My students love the computer! Other teachers at my school were asking similar questions so I created a blog dedicated to easily integrating technology into the classroom. I update it often so check back!
    www.ilearntechnology.com
    also my home page http://tenkely.org
    Good luck!

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 25, 2007

Wow! That many computers! Currently we have 2 student computers per classroom (rumor is we're getting one more), and a computer lab for our grade level. My student computers are always full, unless I'm teaching whole class. Even then we might be using them.
    I usually have SuccessMaker, KnowledgeBox, Accelerated Reader, Harcourt Math, and my classroom website up. Early in the year I teach kids how to log on to each program. They've been doing it since kindergarten, so most have it by the time they get to me. In KBox and Harcourt Math, I usually create lessons for them to go to that correlate with what we're learning at the time. You can also create mini webquests on your own website, or go to Filamentality and create many types of activities (it's free).

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 25, 2007

P.S. I also use United Streaming alot.