Computers in Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Aug 8, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 8, 2009

How many of you have computers in your classroom that your students use? I have two, but they are not hooked up to the internet. I have several games that we use. The computers are open every morning for free choice centers. I do however take them to our computer lab starting after christmas. We do mainly Starfall.com and a couple of other web sites I can not think of right now.
    This year I am informed that my class will get a computer class twice a week. Which is good, but it is causing some problems because the other Kindergarten classes don't get it. They are at another building where they have K-8th grade. So there is no time for them to ever use the computer lab. I am in a building in a different town, same school district, but we now only have preschool - 3rd grade. I am not complaining, but it is not fair to the other teachers. I was told it was ok, by the computer teacher, because the other Kindergarten classes will get extra music. It still doesn't seem right.

So I was wondering how much technology you do with your kindergarten classes? Do you go to a computer lab or use computers in your room? Should I still bring them to the computer lab in the afternoons a few times a week too? I thought I would talk to the computer teacher and see what she is teaching and reinforce what she is teaching when we do go to the computer lab. What do you all think?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2009

If the other kids aren't in your building, I wouldn't worry about the other classes. Take advantage of what is offered to YOUR kids. Different schools all over the country have different amounts of exposure. What would make this any different?

I'm sure the teacher would love it if you reinforce what is taught in her class. If you have the time, go for it.

I use a smartboard in my classroom. That's the extent of me teaching them computer skills. My students also have computer classes.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I have 5 computers in my kinder class - all hooked to internet. Our kids HAVE to rotate all day using a computer program. So, at any given time I have 5 kids not with the whole group. I thought it was weird when I first saw it, but it's great for behavior. I currently will have 17 kids(although more could enroll), so only 12 as a whole group (5 will always be on computers.

Our kinder kids have to do 2 research projects per year.

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 8, 2009

Thanks CutNglue. I think I feel a little bad because the administration keeps telling us both schools should have the same exposure and have the same instruction. I think it is great that they will get computers, but I would be upset if I was the other teachers who do not get the same.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2009

Well don't feel guilty. That's not your choice. Nobody would blame you. Go for it. Take advantage of it for the KIDS.

7. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 8, 2009

I am curious, what kind of research projects do you do?

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

one is based on animals, some of it is internet researched and some with library books. the other one has to be self-selected (we conference and they choose a topic)

it's required in the district.

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I have five computers in my classroom which are used daily and I take my class to the computer lab one time a week. We don't have a computer teacher - I do the lab myself.

I did also take my students to the lab on some indoor recess days during the winter. Maybe twice a week we'd go for recess.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

Our kinder has 2 student computers in each classroom. And they go to computer lab once/week

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 8, 2009

I don't think you can be responsible for what another school is/isn't getting, would you want them to not go to something because you didn't get to go? We have 5 computers in each classroom and go to computer lab twice a week for 30 minutes.

12. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I have one computer in my room. That computer to hooked up to my smart board where the kids play games at least twice a week. They go to the computer lab twice a week for 20 minutes where they explore computers but not the internet.

13. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I have two computers in each classroom. We have special computer teacher to computer lab and go twice a week for 40 minutes.:)

14. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

Well, life isn't fair is it? :) In our district some of our pre-k classrooms have 2 student computers and some have six, all are hooked up to the internet. Some of our campuses have a technology person who conducts classes in the computer lab for all grades and other campuses don't have anything like that. I create things in PPT, Photo Story, and our Activboard software relating to what we are studying for the kids to use at the computers, like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activities with letters for the beginning of the year.