Computers.... and free time.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 13, 2007

My students have always loved going on computers during free time when they weren't reading, writing, or solving math brain teasers.

However, how do you have limits during school hours? A few tried to venture off into Disney Channel's website last year during the school day. I don't mind when they're waiting for buses, yet I'd rather have them focus on something educational. Should I make them a list of sites to visit on my classroom website? What would you do?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

Do you have a way to block all but a handful of websites which you determine to be appropriate?

What about using the computers for activities which are not web-based?

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 13, 2007

True, true, yet some educational games are so outstanding I do not want to limit the kids in this arena. I may just have to provide a list.

And no, I don't have the option to block all but a handful of websites I determine to be appropriate during the school day.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

About blocking the websites... do you have an ECS or IT person? You could talk to them about setting up a list of allowed sites for just when your class is using the lab. I know that our tech people can do that if we just ask for it. It couldn't hurt to ask, I guess.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

I had a remote desktop on my laptop. SO I could teach a small group and monitor what the other students were doing on their laptops.
    I could even block them from a site, or lock the whole computer with a note that said come see me after I'm finished with my lesson.
    They knew to take a book out and read until they could speak to me.

7. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I think your idea of having a list is good. I would bookmark the list on each of the computers, if possible. That way they can easily choose a sight and go to it.