computer/technology teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Aug 3, 2013.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 3, 2013

hey guys,
    is there any computer/technology teachers on here? what teaching license do you have to have? What is the name of your position? I am not talking about technology support staff... i mean actual teachers that teach computer classes.

I have seen that in ohio I can get an endorsement for computers/technology. If I did this could I teach computers?

3. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Aug 3, 2013

Hi there,
    I teach 3d Animation. Right now I have the Florida teacher temporary certification. (currently working to get my professional certification). In order for me to get the job, I had to also pass a business test to acquire my Business certification.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 3, 2013

Hmmm.... so you teach business and animation?

5. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Aug 3, 2013

No....animation is part of the business department, along with digital design, accounting, marketing, etc.

I also know a teacher who didn't have to take the business exam though because he already had enough years in the digital design industry. So the business test was waived.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 3, 2013

7. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Aug 3, 2013

In order to be qualified for the endorsement, do you have these: All applicants must have:

Earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
    Possess or are simultaneously attaining an initial Ohio teaching license/certificate
    A completed Computer/Technology Endorsement Program application on file with the Licensure Coordinator in the Student Services Office.

8. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Aug 3, 2013

Read the stuff in the link you sent me...they have requirements for endorsements

9. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

I have a middle school Business Education license. This fall I will be teaching word/powerpoint/excel, digital citizenship and coding to middle school kiddos.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

I'm licensed to teach Computer Literacy and Computer Applications. Either of those would allow me to teach any number of my district's computer classes. I don't teach any computer classes right now, but it's an option down the road.

11. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 3, 2013

I don't have my computer education endorsement yet, but I am also thinking about getting it to enhance my credentials. From the research I've done, adding the computer education endorsement to your already existing license will allow you the flexibility to move more into the technology education route. I think it really just depends on the preferences/needs of the school district in which you want to teach computer classes.

12. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Aug 3, 2013

My husband is one of our school's middle/high school technology teacher. He has a K-12 technology certification through New York State. Around here, technology is not just teaching computer classes. Technology teachers are seen as a mixture of a "wood shop" teacher and teaching some computer skills. No one teaches classes on word/excel, etc. For example: in Middle School he teaches more "wood shop" standards and skills to his students. In High School they are elective classes like: construction, principles of engineering, digital electronics, video production, etc. Not sure if I really helped or not. Each certification/endorsement is going to be different by state.

13. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Aug 4, 2013

Considering how prevalent technology is in our life, I'm still quite surprised that California doesn't really have a technology certification. The closest thing is an Industrial Technology credential, which encompasses manufacturing, engineering, and computer systems, but isn't necessarily a computer teaching credential. From what I read, most computer teachers have a business, math, or science credential.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 4, 2013

LOL....CPS hasn't funded technology education in years. Art and Music are slowly going to that same island where Computers went to die. Library is next.

If that interests you, do it! But if I had limited funds and were going to get an endorsement, I wouldn't pick that one.