Computer Science Praxis?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Sep 5, 2019

Has anyone here taken the Computer Science Praxis Test?

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Sep 7, 2019

So I gather no one has taken the Computer Science Praxis... Does anyone on here teach computer science?

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 8, 2019

What kind of computer science courses are you wanting to teach? Do you want to teach use of various programs on the computer, how to integrate varied programs to complete an assignment, sometimes including multimedia, or are you wanting to actually build computers. For everything short of building the computers, if I can do it and teach it here in NJ, then no Praxis test is required, at least through middle school. I guess the question I would have is how proficient are you in computer science, and are you absolutely sure this is something you would have to take? Also, what kind of computer science courses have you taken and do they specifically relate to HS teaching?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Sep 8, 2019

High schools will be required to offer a computer science course starting next year. Then a year after that, middle school grades will need to offer, and then elementary. I'm not sure what kind of course they'll make available to offer. Later on, our school system will decide what to offer. A long long time ago back in high school, I took a computer science class using the Pascal programming language. Then in college, it was C++. Before I went to teaching, I did some web design using HTML, PHP, and mySQL. Before that, I worked as a systems administrator and wrote custom programs to generate reports on sales, inventory, etc....

Knowing that schools would need to offer something, I went to the P and said that I would be very interested in teaching a computer science course if he needed me to. So that got me looking into CS certification. Landed on the Praxis page and answered the sample questions. 18 of 25 correct.... So I registered to take the Praxis in November. If I'm gonna teach CS, I personally feel I should have the certification.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Sep 9, 2019

I have taken the equivalent for Ohio. It is called the OEA. Ohio switched from praxis to this. I only just passed one of them and the other I passed easily. I now have the license k-12 but don't teach it yet.