Computer Science classes for Kindagraden

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by earthdragon72, Nov 7, 2008.

1. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Nov 7, 2008

Hi all:
    I had a surprise interview today for a computer science teacher for k-8 grades at a charter school. I was shocked because I had applied for a sub job last week. Anyway the question that the Assistant Principal wanted to know was how would I teach computers to little kids. At first I was like huh? then I told her that I would start off by asking the teachers of the other grades what they would like their students to learn and I would also send out a letter to the parents asking them the same thing. She loved that idea. I told her that teaching computers have to start at an young age and they can uses those skills in all their classes as well as being motivated as well.
    She wanted to know how would I separate the upper kids in the middle school grades. I told her at that time they should know about computers and that they should be able to do papers in word, powerpoint etc... She loved that one as well. I also told her when I have free periods I would like to offer free help to other teacher's and staff to allow them to ask questions about technology and to see if they want to brush up on any thing that they want to learn like webpages etc.... I also showed her an updated version of the website that a teacher is working on and she loved that too. The interview was about 45 minutes which was the longest I ever had.
    I had my portfolio along with some kid friend lesson plans but most of all the classes will be 3 minutes for the little kids and 40 mintues for the big ones. I should know next week about the interview but we both were throwing suggestions out that we would like to see the school technology program to go, but anyone has any ideas for lesson plans for the little ones? any help will be used.

3. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Nov 7, 2008

Heads up

spelled Kindergarten

Sounds like you have some good ideas.

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

These are the items that I cover with my class;
    how to use a mouse, how to turn on and off a computer, how to check volume, where to insert headphones, how to exit programs, how to print, and maybe the beginning stages of typing.

5. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

Thanks that's not a bad idea. I meant for the little kids the class period will be 30 not 3 minuets:)
    I am going to see If I can have access to some of their educational programs as well to see what they are doing and maybe go from there. I will let everyone know if I hear anything next week.

6. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Nov 8, 2008

I teach 4 year olds who have never touched a computer before (well, very few of them anyway). In the computer lab, my first lesson for Pre-K is the 3 things they are allowed to touch..... chair, headphones, and mouse and how to use them (mouse clicking is interesting). NOTHING ELSE!! They are only allowed to use the program that I open for them at first. As they learn, I give them a few others to use and teach them how to use the keyboard. I only let them use starfall.com in my classroom.... my 2 ANTIQUE computers will only run simple programs.

Later in the year, I give them mini-lessons on the same things from firstgradeteach, then as they prove to me that they can be responsible with the equipment I give them a little more freedom to change programs that I have pre-approved.

I know this sounds a little stiff or stern, but most of my kiddos have never been taught how to respect others or their belongings, and they must have structure around expensive equipment....

7. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Nov 8, 2008

I like those two websites you posted. I can really use those as well. Keep them coming good advice.

8. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Nov 14, 2008