Computer Organization

Discussion in 'General Education' started by OneBerry, Aug 21, 2011.

1. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 21, 2011

How do you all handle organization of your files on the computer - including lesson plans, worksheets, lists of ideas, powerpoint presentations, academic standards, or anything else you might have?

This is something I struggle with because I have a desktop computer at school but I do a good portion of my work on my personal computer. I end up carrying a lot of things back and forth on a flash drive, but this sometimes results in several copies of the same document (if, say, I start it and save it on my home computer, save it onto the flash drive for transport, make some changes to that document on my school computer, then save it to my school computer, take the flash drive home and continue working... ahh!) I feel like having a school laptop would solve all of it, but that's not happening.

Just looking for some good ideas! If it matters to anyone, I have an external hard drive that I guess I could use in some way... :help:

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 21, 2011

First, a much less expensive alternative to your current situation would be a portable hard drive that you could carry back & forth from work to home, etc. I have one (I call it my brain), and it has saved my life several times (figuratively speaking). I teach self-contained 1st, so I have ideas/materials/curriculum, etc. for ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Health. Every subject has it's own folder, of course. Within each of those folders, the Plans and materials are divided by unit of study/theme/topic (depending upon the subject). I hope I helped!

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2011

Get a drop box account! You get 2GB free and it will automatically sync between all your computers. I use it to mirror things on my two computers and iPad. It is great, especially since Apple is phasing out iDisk.

You can set passwords on files for added security or set files to share with other people.

If you (or anybody else) sign up, please use my referral link then both you and I get an extra 250mb free (I could use it!)

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM4NTcyMzY2OQ

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

I was introduced to Dropbox this summer and plan to use it a lot for those files I was constantly sending myself between home and school.

6. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 21, 2011

I save everything onto my Flash Drive and then have back-ups at home. So, if I am at home and I edit something, I save it to the Flash Drive.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 21, 2011

I have a different folder for each class. Then, I create sub-folders for each unit. I put all of my materials into the sub-folders. I sort my files by date, so they are in the general sequence of my lessons. For each class, I also have some generic folders, like "Introductory Activities", "Syllabus", "Comprehensive Exams", "Writing Activities", etc. for materials that don't fall into one particular unit.

I also keep everything on my flash drive, but back it up from time to time to be sure I don't lose anything. I'm definitely going to check out
    Dropbox right now to see if it will make more sense for me to use that.

8. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess for now I'll still be carrying things back and forth on my flash drive and keeping the main copies there, with just backup copies on my computers.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2011

Did you check out Dropbox? I find it a lot more convenient than jump drives because it is all automatic.

I lose flash drives.

10. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

I have files organized by grade, and then if there's a lot of files they get their own folder (Ex: ESL, grammar, etc)

Then, I just e-mail stuff to myself between my laptop and desktop if I need to.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 23, 2011

If you're school uses an online curriculum mapping tool, you may be able to upload and save documents there. My school uses Atlas and I can attach files to each unit that I use-- they'll transfer over to the new school year and if I make any changes to the file, I can just delete and upload the new one.

12. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

I have been using Google Docs, but I think I might try Dropbox! Hopefully it isn't blocked at my school. @@

13. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

I actually already have Dropbox on my home computer, but I don't care for it particularly, and since I had some computer troubles I don't think it's working anymore. My school computer has a lot of restrictions, but I may look into getting Dropbox on it. Not sure.

14. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

I just signed up for a Dropbox account. Molly, I'm sorry--I forgot about your referral code until I just reread this thread! I did it through dropbox.com. It looks like a great service. I'm tired of carrying my flash drive everywhere and worrying that I am going to lose it!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

My board is very conservative about blocking sites, and I can access Dropbox.

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

No big deal. While extra space is nice, my motivation for posting was to be helpful, not spam for referral credit. :lol:

17. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

I am the SAME way!!! My life is the thumb drive!!! :lol:

On the thumb drive I have folders like signs (classroom signs), the school year (2011-2012 School year) specific things, integers... etc. I try to make categories as much as possible for quick locating. I also have the problem of having half on thumb drive, then 3/4 of the document on school computer etc. Every so often I try to sit down and match everything up and weed out multiple copies that are incomplete. I also try to make sure everytime I save something I just go ahead and save it twice. Once to the school comp and once to the thumb drive. I know thats not the answer you were looking for but maybe the folders will help you stay organized ith it all! :)

18. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

You sound just like me! I have a lot of folders, too. And sub-folders. I guess it's nice to know I'm not alone. :)