Computer lessons for 5 year olds

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, May 20, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

May 20, 2003

Hi all,

Any ideas for simple computer lessons for 5 year olds that have not had much experience with computers. They need to practice using a mouse and general appropriate computer behaviour.

Thanks in anticipation

3. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 20, 2003

Not sure exactly what you are looking for--but in my pre-k class I teach this hands on. I don't have a real discussion or lesson before hand. I sit with them the first time they get on to play a game and show them how to move a the mouse and where to click. I have a small round dot sticker on the mouse to show them where to place their finger to click. I also have one computer with a touch screen for the younger kids who don't have the mouse skills yet. The only rule we go over ahead of time is that they aren't allow to push any other buttons on the computer.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 20, 2003

For a simple Pre-K/K-age program that works on mouse skills unintentionally, maybe A to Zap would be good... it does letter-type stuff, but it's got lots of things for kids to click on, and it's quite easy to use.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

May 21, 2003

im an australian teacher who teaches 5 year old children i have been using a program called kidzpxi very successfully-all children can open the program create great pictures add text and close the program as yet we haven't learnt to save it--but that's the next challenge -good luck

6. Guest

Guest Guest

May 21, 2003

sorry about the spelling the program is actually kidspix -easy to use

7. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Jun 1, 2003

great ideas

Yes, Kidpix is great also another one to try is called 'Thinkin' Things' there is a 'thinkin' things 1' and Thinkin' things 2' both great to get the idea of mouse usage. There are memory games and following games. Our school loves both of these programs and my young daughter is becoming a pro.;)

8. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jun 1, 2003

I have been using the computer with my son since he was less than a year old. We began using Reader Rabbit Baby which had lots of easy to do games and songs that dealt with shapes, feelings, colors, etc. There are many great educational programs out there. Reader Rabbit programs are fun and very easy to learn. My son is now three years-old and he loves Reader Rabbit Thinking Adventure (which is a personalized learning program that advances at his level) and Alphabet Express.

I buy all my educational software from http://www.smart-estore.com The programs are very inexpensive because you only get the CD and an insert, no box or CD case. You might also check ebay for cheap programs.

When I taught Kindergarten, I made a web page and bookmarked it on all the computers in the computer lab. On the page were links to the web sites I wanted/allowed my kids to visit. We used pbskids.org, nickjr.org, etc. They picked it up very quickly and we had lots of fun.

Never underestimate a child. They pick up on things we don't even realize they notice. Many of your kids probably already have better mouse skills than you know. If my 3 year-old can type his name in the computer and start/stop and change his own programs then most, if not all, 5 year-olds can learn it quickly.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 2, 2003

One of my favorites and what we have on most of the computers is software by Jumpstart. They make all kinds of stuff and you will find one you like. They have preschool (age 3-6) and kindergarten (age 5-7) ones that are great. I had a long list typed out of ones we have but am having problems with the server so could not post it! Anyway, Jumpstart Preschool, Jumpstart ABC's, Jumpstart Music, Jumpstart Kindergarten, Jumpstart Reading, Jumpstart Math. There are lots more. Reader Rabbit Preschool and Reader Rabbit kindergarten are really good too. The Blaster series are great, Reading Blaster and Math Blaster for 4-6 years old would be good. If you want more names let me know. I think we have about 30 for the computer stations now. These are all easy enough for a beginner to learn to use. They have several of these and the I Spy Series on the public library children's computers here too. I see 3-5 year olds working away on them without help, like pros!

10. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jun 4, 2003

We have the program, Kidpix, but I never really have looked into it. What do you have your students do on there? Can they do whatever they want or do they have a mini assignment?

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 4, 2003

Also check http://www.softwareoutlet.com

I got a few neat things from there at a great price! They were more toddler preschool oriented... Bert & Ernie's computer Telephone. I have the Elmo phone... it is Soooooo cool!! The kids love it.
    $19.95

Then I got a Little Tikes 3-d cruiser.... it is a steering wheel you hook up by USB and the kids DRIVE the programs... cars, trains, boats, etc.
    $9.95

EBAY IS GREAT, too, like Lanie said... I got stuff pretty cheap... LOTS of those Living Books. My little ones LOVE THEM!! We have them all but Stellaluna. I think that is the only one we don't have. I'll get around to getting it one day.

Lori

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 13, 2003

Re-Australian teacher using Kidspix
    I allow the children to explore the different aspects of the tools in Kidspix then set them a task which I usually demonstate prior to the activity. Such as, drawing reptiles or zoo animals-depending on what we are studying at the time. Some children of course are able to manipulate the program to a much more advance level than I ever anticipate bu tfor those younger children who need some direction,this allows them to work within a structure.

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 16, 2003

i teach kindergarten and the first thing we do is a program called type to learn. we do that for one to two sessions. it is so they can get situated with the keyboard.
    we then move into kidpix which they love. i incorporate things we are learning in the classroom. they practice first using the letter stamps to write words then we move into the keyboard,
    by the end of the year they are using stamps, drawing, painting etc... also by the end the children each make a mini slide show with all the work we have done. this year my class did one on the four stages of the plant. it looks like a powerpoint.
    next year we will be using kid inspirations as well as kid pix. i dont know much about it yet.