Computer Class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by devinallen, Aug 24, 2007.

1. devinallen

devinallen New Member

Aug 24, 2007

So our school didn't hire an IT teacher this year and is leaving it to the art/classroom teachers, which I am. I can use a computer fairly well but I have never taught it and I am just old enough to not of had it as part of my university curriculum. Anyone know a good web site or just knows of a curriculum? Even just goals for what students should be able to do by the end of the quarter, semester and year. I will only be teaching second year.

3. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

In grades PreK-2, students generally work on parts of the computer, using the mouse, finding the letter keys on the keyboard, doing some simple word processing, opening/closing programs, opening a saved document, using educational software.

For grades 3-5, students spend a lot of time working on keyboarding skills and word processing skills...learning how to spell check, change alignment, font size/color, adding graphics, and more. They also work with PowerPoint and Excel. They learn how to save documents to various locations.

For grades 6-8, students get a lot more involved with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. They learn how to burn CD's. They use our digital videocam and create a DVD.

Do you need to know this for a specific grade? If you are doing this and you teach art also, you could do a lot on the computer with drawing programs too. Kidpix is fun for little kids to use.

4. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

When I used to have to teach computers to my class of 1st/2nd graders, we did a lot of Type to Learn Jr. and KidPix. KidPix is really cool, the older grades liked it, too. It has cool features where you can make a film. It can be really simple, or has more advanced features if you want.

5. akatiegirl

akatiegirl Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

If you have access to the internet, there is a great touch-typing program for 3rd and 4th. It may be a little young for 5th, but you could try it. The address is http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/ I used it with my 4th graders last year and they loved it!