Computer access at home?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jun 28, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

Do you find that most of your students have access to computers at home now? How about Internet access? My students are from a VERY low income area, and some have computers, fewer have Internet. For about half of my students, the only access they have to a computer at all is in our class and in the computer lab (which is why we have a computer rotation daily).

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

I have only run into a few students that do not have internet access at home. We provide our students with laptops that they use 24/7 so all my students have computers at home. They download at school if they do not have internet at home.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 28, 2010

Our school's students ALL receive free breakfast and lunch if that tells you anything heh HOWEVER, we only have about 20 computers for our whole entire school of about 500 students and NONE in our classrooms. It's sad....

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

I believe every child in my class has a computer with internet access at home. Then again, my school sits on a golf course.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

TeacherApr - all of our students are on free breakfast/lunch, summer feeding program (breakfast/lunch) and after school tutoring, but my P has taken advantage of the Title I and other funds to acquire tons of computers, and smartboards, projectors, and elmos in EVERY classroom. We have less than 300 students, so we are small, but I'm definitely impressed, lol.

Lynn, that type of neighborhood comes with its own challenges, lol. I have a friend that teaches at a magnet elementary, and she has parents calling if she is 10 minutes late updating her web page or their child didn't earn 100% on every assignment, lol. It's either feast or famine, lol. At least my kids' parents care, which was a cultural shock for me coming from where I spent 08-09!

7. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

no internet or computers for my kids. we have 2-4 computers per classroom and a laptop lab of 16 computers.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

You are so right! No matter what, every school has challenges. Every kid is GT (not!), the parents live at the school and don't know their boundaries, the parents know how everything should be taught, you're never good enough, etc., etc.

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jun 29, 2010

Not only do they have computers, they also have Facebook pages.

A few do not, but it is parental choice, not economics.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 29, 2010

Very few of my students have computers at home.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 30, 2010

From my conversations with students I would estimate 30% - 35% do not have computers at home. We're 40% free or reduced breakfast/lunch.

12. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 30, 2010

I think I'd do more with computers if I knew my students had access. Unfortunately, it's a low percentage. I'd love to do all notes home electronically but I have to do it that way and paper.

13. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jun 30, 2010

I find that I have the same percentage of parents who do not read what I send home whether electronically or via paper. :lol:
    "When's the last day of school?" If I had a dollar for everyone that asked me that, I'd have enough to give all of us a substantial raise!

14. Privateschools

Privateschools Rookie

Jul 3, 2010

Hi Everyone,

Its really sad that computer being such an important part of everybody's life is not present with everybody. But no worries if the kids receive sufficient computer education at school itself.

Thanks,

15. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

It was the same for me at the last school I was at.

16. Sara7272

Sara7272 Rookie

Jul 3, 2010

Last year I had 1 student that had a computer at home. I am making an assumption when I say they probably had internet access also. Our school does have a computer lab. It is part of our Special rotation (Gym, Library, Art, Music, Computers). So each child does get an opportunity to use a computer at least once a week. I do have 2 computers in my classroom that I use for one of my center rotations during my small group instruction time. I used to complain that I only had 2,I guess I should consider myself lucky after reading some of your posts 8-(

My school is also all on free/reduced lunch. We are over 80% poverty. I guess one difference is that my parents tend to have other stress in their life that they tend But then again, if I had to worry about how I was going to pay my rent I would probably be content knowing that my child was safe in school while I was working to pay the bills.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2010

I am not in a high poverty area, but rather a very rural one. While almost all of my kids have computers, anyone who doesn't live in town doesn't have reliable internet access.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2010

Please don't take this the wrong way - I don't mean it in an angry or mean way. Can you explain just when I am supposed to provide sufficient computer education? Maybe when I am supposed to teach handwriting (for which I have no curriculum), health (ditto), science/social studies (during which my "low" kids are pulled for interventions)? My kids get a basic "these are the parts of the computer and this is EXACTLY what you are allowed to do on and with it, a 4-day per week computer rotation in the classroom, and a weekly visit to the computer lab. For most of my babies, this is the only exposure to technology they will have all year.

19. Privateschools

Privateschools Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Hi,
    Some time back one of my neighbors was asking me something about computers ,it was then that i realized that he literally knew nothing about computers.I felt sorry for him ,but at the same time i felt like scolding him because he was saying that now he cannot learn stuffs like this because he rs old and his learning age has passed.God,Why don't people understand that there is no learning age.

Thanks,

20. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 8, 2010

All

All of our students have computers. I'm sure virtually all of them have high speed internet, along with so many personal gadgets of a high tech variety. I do some volunteer ESL tutoring and that community has very limited access to technology. The ESL kids are really operating at a disadvantage.

21. Privateschools

Privateschools Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

Hi,

What i feel is,no.of classes do not matter. In fact the basic thing that matters and must matter is quality education.Even a single class per week can make wonders whereas numerous classes a week may lead you nowhere.

Thanks.:thumb:

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2010

I believe about 1/2 to 3/4 have computer and internet at home.

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2010

I think that this conversation if fascinating - just like the school supply discussion - there is such a DIVERSITY in what our students have or have access to!

24. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

We actually did a district wide survey this past year. I think my grade had about 80% with computers and internet access. My grade also was the highest in the district. I'd say about 70% of our kids have computers and internet access.