Comprehension vs. Reading grades

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by laf-a-lot, Sep 24, 2008.

1. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Sep 24, 2008

My team and I are needing some help and suggestions. We just had a meeting and we are discussing how we are going to grade reading. We have our weekly story and the test we take at the end of the week, however we are struggling on whether or not to read the test questions to the students.

We do want to accurately assess whether or not they comprehend the story, so some say to read the test to the students.

Then, there are those students who are comprehending the story well and getting As on the tests, but could not read a word of it.

So how is their reading grade reflecting their reading ability? Once it gets to the end of the year and there are those few students who are not reading and should not be moving on to second grade, but their grades are A's because they can comprehend the story we read and talked about EVERY day of the week.

So after all that, I guess my question is: How do you all solve this dilemma?

We have discussed read them the test and then taking a fluency grade as well. Any other ideas?:confused: They would be greatly appreciated :)

3. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

I read them the test for the first half of the year (until they are all mostly fluent with the test) and will always read a word to a child who asks. I do take a comprehension grade & a fluency grade. Oral reading & understanding are two very different things in my book.

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

What kind of assessments do you use?

We use the DRA 2. It has separate components for comprehension, fluency and oral reading. The student has to pass all three sections to pass the reading level test.

We also have a literacy program that we use that have theme multiple choice tests.

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2008

I would say to do both test; comprehension and fluency. I also read tests to my students for the first semester. We begin to wean them during the 2nd semester.