Comprehension strategies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hojalata, Oct 12, 2006.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

I teach 2nd grade and I'm looking for you best and favorite ways to teach comprehension! We are going to start out with summarizing and then talk about text to text, text to world, etc. but I'm not sure what other comprehension ideas there are out there. Help!!

3. booksrus

booksrus Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

i just joined the system. i saw your post and am not sure if you are still in need of ideas. I often start my comprehension strategies with schema, then connections, visualizing, inferring, synthesizing and determining importance. I highly reccomend Debbie Miller's Reading with Meaning because it is such a wonderful guide for implementing the strategies.

4. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

Thanks! I acutally think I might have that book on my bookshelf somwhere. I'll have to dig it up. What grade do you teach? What activities do you do for schema?

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 12, 2006

Buy READING WITH MEANING by Debbie Miller! You'll be inspired and filled with ideas.

My school also uses Power of Retelling. I wasn't there for the workshops so I'm not too familiar with it, but it's supposed to be really great.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 12, 2006

Ooops I didn't realize the person above posted the same thing... I was just too excited to share the book. :)

7. booksrus

booksrus Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

I also teach second grade. I used Debbie Miller's text last year and this year am combining it with Growing Readers by Kathy Collins, which is written by a protege of Lucy Calkins.
    For schema, I explain that when you start to read a book you are using your schema, or all of the stuff that is already in your head, because you are using other books you have read, things you have seen, experience, etc. related to the book. You are bringing all of those things with you when you open a book. Schema then leads into connections. Miller suggests using The Relatives Came because students can often relate to visits with relatives by bringing their background knowledge to the text.
    I LOVE this stuff so I am happy to chat with you about it any time!!!

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 12, 2006

I'd like to chat with other teachers who are using Reading with Meaning in their classrooms. It will be interesting to compare how things are going.

9. booksrus

booksrus Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

I like to start it with nonfiction. I have them share their background knowledge, schema, related to the topic and place it on a chart. Then as we read, we add new information to the chart-and I keep saying that it is being added to our schema. We also identify if anything was a misconception. They LOVE that!

You can also have students identify how their schema is different. You can show them a text and have them describe their background knowledge, or schema. Then they can see how their schema may be different.

Also, you can have students build schema for authors and types of text because after you analyze different authors they will have schema about how they author writes to help them understand other books by the author. I just keep saying use your schema about Cynthia Rylant to think about...

AND it is also important to have them see that readers revise and build on their schema as they read further.

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 14, 2006

All of the above are great strategies, personally, I've found the most FUN one to be STORYBOARDS! The kids make a simple storyboard (setting) and then simple stick puppets (characters) and then practice retelling the story using the items. Kids LOVE doing this, and it allows them to practice retelling in a fun way. Once they're really good at it, I let them do it for other kids in the class or even see if we can come down to a Kindergarten class.

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 14, 2006

I don't think I read in any of the posts the strategy of predicting outcomes. That is important as well as all the others mentioned.

12. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 14, 2006

Reading with Meaning or Growing Readers-- which is better!?

13. booksrus

booksrus Rookie

Oct 15, 2006

I feel that Reading with Meaning gives a really good foundation. Growing Readers goes through units from September to the end of the year. I would read Reading with Meaning first to get the background. Right now I am trying to utilize both. If you read one, let me know what you think. I really have found them to be so helpful!

14. booksrus

booksrus Rookie

Oct 15, 2006

Hello all! Since we are on the reading kick in this group, I thought I would post this question to all of you. I would LOVE to hear what all of you do with your class during guided reading. For example, do you have centers set up or another format in place? Looking for some ideas...

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2006

I am interested in what Guided Reading looks like in your rooms as well. I am really struggling with putting groups together and getting it rolling. I know I know we haven't started it yet. I have been doing procedures etc. for setting up my workshop... :)

16. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Oct 18, 2006

READING WITH MEANING!! This is the best book out there for comprehenension strategies. There is also Mosiac of Thought, Strategies that Work, and a very useful web site on www.readinglady.com. Once you get to that site, along the left side bar click on Mosiac of Thought listserve. There is great information there but you can go further and download resources from clicking on Teaching Tools. I absolutely LOVE this site. There are actual units on comprehension strategies. There are also graphic organizers, parent information, and powerpoint presentations. GREAT SITE!

17. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

I just tried subscribing to the listserve but it said no such listserve existed! Can someone shed some light on this?

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

19. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Oct 19, 2006

I am not sure why the listserve is not allowing you to subscribe. I don't use the listserve- I use the teaching tools that you can click on FROM the listserve. I would contact the site and ask what the problem is. Good Luck!