Comprehension blues

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Miss Bliss, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Oct 16, 2007

I have a student who really struggles with reading comprehension. He has beautiful fluency though. The problem is, this student really rushes through everything. I have tried helping him make predictions, visualizing strategies (drawing pictures of what is in his mind as he reads), discuss the story, and even rereading.

Anyway, today this student took an Accelerated Reader test and failed.. Although, this was his highest score yet. The student became very upset and said that he hates reading and he never wants to read again. I quickly showed him his report and assured him that he was improving and that we'd work on it. I also discussed this with his mother and she will work with him too. I don't want him to hate reading!! Any advice??? Thanks

3. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Oct 16, 2007

I wonder if he comprehends the vocabulary in what he reads.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2007

One thing I would try is to ensure that the student has lots of opportunity to discuss his reading--before, during and after. Before reading he can make predictions and activate prior knowledge. During reading, discussion with the teacher or a peer will help him to check for understanding. After reading, talking about his reading can help to consolidate. I've found that this has really helped with some of my students.

5. teacher82A

teacher82A Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

I pretty much have the same problem. Except that I'm in a Title 1 school and every year, the majority of my class has lots of difficulty comprehending. (It's a miracle that we make AYP every year.) It doesn't help that we use the Open Court reading program and 3rd graders are expected to comprehend Teammates (Jackie Robinson biography) and The Legend of Damon and Pythias. We've had lots of staff development workshops, but I just can't seem to get through to them.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 16, 2007

Have him read shorter books that he can re-read, make post-it notes on, etc. When he gets the hang of a shorter story, then move into chapters.

7. mom2shs

mom2shs New Member

Oct 23, 2007

Is he able to comprehend the story if it is read to him? If so you might want to check for dyslexia.