composition books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missalli, Aug 30, 2008.

1. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 30, 2008

I'm looking for some ideas on how to cover composition books I'm giving my students to make them 'blank slates' for them to decorate/personalize, instead of the ugly mottled colors they are now. I know I've seen it done before with contact paper or something but I was hoping to find actual instructions online and, in this case, Google has failed me. I need something that's fairly inexpensive and not so difficult or time consuming that I will be cursing the very idea halfway through the twenty or so books.

Any ideas?

3. evil_twin2327

evil_twin2327 Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I just give my kids large white construction paper. I have them decorate the paper, I laminate it, and we tape it to the books (on the inside cover). Works great!

4. txteach00

txteach00 New Member

Aug 30, 2008

I have my students tape or glue photos of themselves, family, pictures from magazines, whatever represents them on the front cover of their comp books. Then I cover them with 4 or 5 strips of clear packing tape. Kind of time consuming, but it works very well. Hope that helps!

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

Besides pictures of themselves or family - pictures of things they like, hobbies, sports, etc to cut out and glue on it.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2008

Yeah, I think a collage would work best. You could cover them with clear contact paper. Keeping the book closed, use a strip of paper wrapped around from the front cover side edge over the spine to the back cover side edge as a measuring tape. This will give you the minimum width needed for the contact paper. You can figure the height by just using the measurements of the cover. I would add about an inch (maybe more) to all sides so you could wrap the contact paper over the edges. Your school librarian can probably help you figure this out. Chances are she does it to reinforce any paperbacks that come in.

7. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

could you have them decorate the covers with a collage as previous posters recommended and then cover them with decoupage glue (modge podge). I've never tried it, but it seems like it would be easier than measuring and cutting contact paper.

8. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

I let the kids cut out pictures from magazines and glue stick them to their notebooks. Then I cover the notebooks with clear packing tape. It holds up really well.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2008

I really like this idea--I think I'm going to try it with one of my classes next week. We don't use composition notebooks here, the ones I bought have a paper cover, but this would work and would also make them sturdier.

10. missalli

missalli Companion

Sep 1, 2008

Wow, guys, thanks for all these great ideas. I really like the collage idea, but I don't subscribe to any magazines. Any ideas where I could find some (cheap)?

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 1, 2008

Beth Newingham has great examples on her third grade website (easy to find on Google, and then you go to the writing section of her site).

I found my composition books at Office Depot...

And then besides that, I think one student in my class put contact paper on her composition book, and it looked great! :) I also have the photo collages (but strangely, more so from the boys this year than the girls).

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

If you mean magazines, ask parents and kids to bring some in. Better yet, make the decorating a homework assignment and let the kids search of the pictures. Less stress for you.

13. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I asked my parents to bring in all of their store ads (target, wal-mart, grocery stores, etc..) you could do the same and ask the parents to bring them in (we all get them in the mail once a week) and in the papers, so might as well put them to good use! I asked for them this year, and hopefully get a TON tomorrow for the first day..I plan on using them for all kinds of collages.. No need for magazine subsriptions!