components in pre school lesson plans

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissFrizzle, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

Help... I'm doing a rough draft for my lesson plan suitable for Pre School, but I don't know if I am making it more difficult than it has to be... any advice would be helpful

In a nutshell, I am using the book Ten Little Ladybugs to teach counting up to 10... Then I will make a ladybug craft with them. I have already colored the plates and assembled the body parts, so essentially I will have the children glue spots ( construction paper circles) on the ladybugs wings.

To assess I will have each child count the spots on their ladybug. If I wanted to extend the lesson I would have a pre written sentence strip that says " My ladybug has _ spots. However, I am not going to go that far. I have limited time.

My problem is how can I introduce the lesson. I have a stuffed ladybug that I am bringing in. I was going to ask the children to look at it and tell me what they notice. Hopefully the colors and that it has spots.

Then, I am bringing along magnetic letters and ladybug cards... I was going to put up the cards and have children find the numeral that matches up to the number of ladybugs....

My aim- To count up to 10

How does it sound. Be honest, what should I cut out? What should I add... I don't know the abilites of the kids.. all I know is it is self contained sped. I also don't know how much time I have which is why I pre made the ladybug.

3. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

i understand that you don't know how much time you have, but if you did have enough time, i would have the children doing as much of the craft as possible; or, i would color the lady bug and have the kids cut out their circles to practice cutting/fine moter skills

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 29, 2008

I do sort of a similar lesson during ladybugs-we intro with a pre made terrarium (sp) of live lady bugs from the garden store or home depot type store. if you have time before your demo-call around and see what you can find. They usually aren't much money, and they are something that will really draw attention. I really like leading with the real thing.

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

Without knowing the age or level of your children, you may want to prepare for higher level children. Without knowing the time factor, you may what to integrate science and language into your lesson.

Count the dots on each wing: 5 and 5 expanding your math lesson with a little addition. Ask how may dots the ladybug would have if it only had one wing. You will add some subtraction.

If you have extra time in circle time, you integrate science into the lesson. Discuss bugs, different types of bugs and characteristics of bugs. You can label bug parts if you have time.

If you have extra circle time, you can integrate language arts into the lesson. Write bug. Sound out the phonemes. Ask what rhymes with bug. Write the words. Ask what letter bug begins with. Write the letters.

Most of all enjoy!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

I agree. I would have the children doing more if I knew them better.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

I beleive that I will have 3 year olds... I like your ideas and I am going to incoporate them into my plan explaining how I would extend or enrich the lesson.

These sound great! Thank you

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

I work with 4 to 5 year olds so the bug labeling may be a little much for your little guys.

You can still integrate a little science and literacy and tone it down.

Update us on how it goes!

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

I will! thanks !

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

I also think I would keep the craft just as you are, with the pieces already cut. Focus on the counting when you work in the small groups not the craft itself. The kiddos can get fine motor from many other activities.

I might want to write the number ten somewhere on the ladybug expanding the math lesson from just a counting activity to number recognition also.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

I like that ... Will do. How do you think I should go about giving out the "spots"? I know it sounds crazy, but I will give them the assembled "insect" and then I was thinking give each child ten dots. I will go around and have the child count them out for me.. then glue. Do you have a better suggestion?

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

I will write the numeral ten in the middle where the wings separate.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

Mmmm... I would have all ten counted and in little snack sized zip -lock baggies and hand them out with the assembled ladybugs.

I really like the idea of counting them out with each child. Do you know how many children you will have or if you will have any aides helping you? If there are a lot of children and no help, I would have them all glue the dots and count them together. It would be rough with a group of 3-year olds waiting for one person to count with them. They may get squirmy and have behavioral issues. If you have help, divide the aides with the children and do it one-on-one. I prefer the one-on-one if you can swing it. Sometimes, you can send the children to play and call small groups of 4 or 5 and work with each small group.

Definitely use glue sticks. Glue and paste can be a disaster with untrained 3 year olds.

I have seen the cutest ladybug puppet to grab their attention. Look around for it. I'd check out Lakeshore. If not, I'd use a completed ladybug from your craft and use it as a prop.

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 29, 2008

I just Googled Ladybug puppet. The puppet is there, but there is a cute puppet you can make from paper plates!

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

Oh good. This is exactly what I already did! I like the idea of working with a partner to count them out.

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2008

17. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 30, 2008

It's really cute! They will love it. It will work as a prop to open your presentation.

Have a baggie with several extra dots. More than one child will have dots that "disappear" when you are count them.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2008

I think that having the pieces pre-colored and assembled is acceptable in this case because the focus of your lesson is the math of it, not the art. However, I do know that a lot of early childhood people are all for having the kids do as much as possible, and having "art" that all looks the same is not good. So, I'd make sure you mention something in your written plans about why you chose to have the plates pre-done...and what the focus of the lesson is supposed to be.
    Kim

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2008

Oh, when I go back and read your original post, I wanted to comment about matching ladybug cards to numerals. For 3 year old special ed kids, that may be very, very difficult. I teach 4 year old reg. ed kids, and at the beginning of the year, not even half of them could do that. A way to change it to make it more succesful for them would be to have two sets of ladybug cards and have them match the ones with the same number of dots...and then, as a whole group, count the dots.
    Kim

20. Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

Since you don't really know the skill level of the kids and they are 3 year olds, I would have them only count 5 dots. I have a lot of 4 year olds who struggle with counting to 10 at the beginning of the year. Just a suggestion if you want to maximize success. Good luck!:)

21. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 30, 2008

Make a point of writing up expressly what you are trying to accomplish as far as social / emotional, cognitive / language, and physical development, along with the numeracy goals. Make your goals explicit.

(i.e., children will increase fine motor skills through using glue, etc.).

22. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

I did it today. It seemed to go really fast and the kids enjoyed it. I know they are still interviewing, but they did say if I am selected, I will do another demo for someone else.

So, it's outta my hands.

I had 12 kids 1 teacher and 2 psras...

the kids loved my stuffed ladybug and they loved the project. They were able to count to me and so I'm happy.

I gave it my best. Hey I'm used to rejection.

Anyway, you all rock! Thanks for your help

23. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 1, 2008

I'm glad things went well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

24. Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Good Luck!:)