Completely, utterly, totally freaked out about the big upcoming standardized tests.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, May 11, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 11, 2009

I'm a first year teacher, and while I've been worrying about the tests all year, I'm starting to panic because they're a week away. I feel like my kids aren't ready - but the problem is, I feel like they never will be!!

The grade level has F's all over the place (we're departmentalized.) All of us are at our wits end with these kids. I am not blaming the kids, but I do want to point out that the 23 year vet on my team tells me this is her worst group yet. They are rowdy, immature, lazy, and....I don't need to say more.

I can't bear the thought of half our kids failing...and if my hunch is right, that's where they're headed. I'm, just soooo thankful Im not in this alone, sortaspeak. All the teachers on my team are equally as concerned.

I laid in bed from 10:30pm until 2:30am tossing and turning over these tests. The Science test in tomorrow, while Math and Reading is next week. I hope, hope, hope they pass.

I really don't think I've worried over anything quite so much in my life. Something has to give...too much is riding on these stupid scores. :mad:

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 11, 2009

Breathe...Pisces...Breathe. Did they take practice tests?

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 11, 2009

You've worked hard all this year to get to this point and now it is out of your hands. You can't stress out over it because you are going to burn yourself out even faster. A lot of it won't ever change from your other posts about the school you are at and how things are there. There's more going on there and with the kids, the parents, the community for you to stress out about.

I too am in NC and was in a similar situation last year - it was do or die at that school or the state would come in because of test scores. The kids did make growth that year but it wasn't at the expense of some real tough times.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 11, 2009

My school will be in school improvement this year if we can't make AYP. Ugh.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2009

I guess this is one time when I'm glad our yearly standardized tests begin in Feb!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2009

You test science tomorrow? We don't test until Wednesday (a whole extra day, LOL).

Alright, here is a story to help you feel better. I gave a science test Friday (the last chapter before the EOG). One of the critical thinking questions stated something like "Bob and Jim were heading for their gate at the airport. The traveled at the same speed. Jim rode the moving sidewalk and Bob walked along side it. How can you tell that Jim is in motion?"
    The answer I got? "Because he was laughing and blinking." It should have mentioned his frame of reference. I wanted to cry. I STILL want to cry. She has to take her science test in 2 days. Uggh!

Good Luck with everything! The reading is tough since they renormed it last year!

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 11, 2009

Pisces - This is my first year in charge of standardized testing as well. I 100% understand. I finally just had to admit to myself that I did the absolute best that I could do preparing my students, and what is done is done. Just breathe, drink some amazing hot chocolate, and quit worrying - there is nothing that you can do except send all of your brain waves to them during the test. :) Sending you my thoughts and brain waves for your students. :hugs:

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 11, 2009

Pisces,
    Remember that if you are stressed on test day, the students will pick up on that and it can be disasterous.

Practice saying this: It's time to take the test! I know you are going to do a fabulous job. We've been practicing and learning all year, and I know that each and every one of you can do a spectacular job. Now it is time to "show what you know!" I can't wait to so the fabulous test results!!!

Now here is the hard part -- practice saying it with enthusiasm and sincerity. If you buy it, so will many of your kids. If they are calm and assume they are going to succeed, many of them will. If they sense that you are stressed and concerned, they will be stressed and concerned, and will "choke."

10. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 12, 2009

If you've taught them all the standards, it's now out of your hands. I know how much I stressed my 1st year, and everyone in my class passed. I agree with RainStorm, if you believe they will do well, they will believe it too...and calm kids test better. I always give my kids a peppermint before each test session. I tell them that it makes their brains work better (there is research about the smell of peppermint and brain activity). I also have parents bring in a healthy snack for the class and we eat it between sessions every day. (No drinks...wouldn't want to mess up the test or answer booklets). We talk about the importance of a healthy breakfast, lots of sleep the night before, etc. By test time, mine all believe that they can pass with flying colors! Why? Because that's what I tell them...I've taught them all they need to know and all they have to do is take their time and they will remember it and do well.

Good luck!

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 12, 2009

Several NC teachers, I see! The EOGs are a joke. If a kid can get good grades all year long and then freaks out at test time, then they don't pass. Is the state saying that they don't trust teachers to grade fairly throughout the year?

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2009

Best of luck today Pisces!!!

Rainstorm is right! Take that advice and go with it.

As my kids would say -- calm the face.

Have a great day!!!