Completely unprofessional!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mommyserenity, May 8, 2012.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 8, 2012

I just need a moment to vent. I think it is completely rude, and unprofessional, when a P clearly tells you he will contact you to let you know either way how your interview process will proceed. Why bother to even say it if you aren't going to take 5 secs to email me and say "no thanks" when you know full well candidates are eagerly waiting to know if they made the cut or not. We, as job seekers, are very aware of how we professional we need to be as we look for openings. I find it just plain rude that P's can just treat us like we don't matter. UGH....I'm sorry for the vent, but I am just over being treated like this after an interview. :mad:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 8, 2012

I'm still waiting to hear back from Ps that said that...from 8 years ago!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 8, 2012

:hugs: I know its frustrating. I've been in the same position before. But then I started thinking that if they can't keep their word on something like that, I probably didn't want to work for them.

5. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 8, 2012

Nine out of Ten interviews you/I go to say at the end we will call you next week and let you know. Nine out of Ten times you never hear anything back.

6. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

May 8, 2012

I have found this to be the norm, actually.

7. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 8, 2012

As unprofessional as it is, that is today's norm.

8. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

May 8, 2012

i havent had this.... but i think it definitely is unprofessional, if we as job seekers did anything like this we wouldnt be considered for the position. .....

9. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

May 8, 2012

It's so frustrating because you wait anxiously by the phone and they never call.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 8, 2012

That has actually never happened to me... I guess I feel lucky now! I always got a generic e-mail (often automatically sent out to everyone who even applied) or a letter. I do think that's extremely rude and have never heard of it happening to anyone IRL!

11. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

May 8, 2012

I'm in the same position right now! They know they have the upper hand in this job market. It sucks, but I don't think there's much to do about it. Like another poster said, if they are that unprofessional, maybe it's better that you don't work for them.

12. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 8, 2012

Employers have the upper hand in this economy. Instead of sitting and waiting, I keep looking for a job.

13. smalltowngal

May 8, 2012

Does anyone else see a pattern?

14. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

May 8, 2012

Definitely a pattern. It feels bad though, because when you get an interview you often spend days preparing, take time off work, time+gas money to get there--- and then they don't even take 30 seconds to live up to their word and say no. But that's the way it goes, as job seekers, we can't change that. I am dealing with it by not standing by my phone (literally leaving it in other parts of the house, going for walks without it, etc), spending time applying for other jobs (it's amazing how quickly you forget a job you interviewed for when you are picturing others), and remembering that getting an interview was already a nice compliment. However, if I ever find myself on the other end of the panel, you better believe the interviewees will be getting a call!

I totally understand why districts don't respond to every applicant (with 100s or 1000s of them) but for interviews... that's low. Anyhow, moving on!

PS- Got an email from a school letting me know I hadn't been selected for an interview. I was amazed by how happy I was to get it! Nice just to hear something when their is such a high volume.

15. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 8, 2012

After an interview, I send a thank you. Then I start looking for the next job. Unless I hear something.

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 8, 2012

It's hard to spot that though because they're unprofessional to everyone, ....except the one they hire! haha

17. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 8, 2012

We need laws on this!

18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 8, 2012

I'm not sure we need laws on manners (I can think of more important things to legislate), but it would be nice. A rejection letter is better than false hope.

19. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

I wish they would send out a quick email, but very few districts do this. I didn't get any notification at all for a few of the jobs I interviewed for.

20. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 8, 2012

I think I am more upset because I know there were only eight of us even being considered and then they were cutting it to two for second interviews. Tomorrow will be one week since the interview. I'm considering emailing the P to just ask if there are any updates on the process. :dunno:

21. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

May 8, 2012

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

22. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 8, 2012

Tgpii.......l never said I was doing that! I have out plenty of resumes and will return to my current school if nothing else pans out. I simply said I was thinking of emailing again to ask for updates.

23. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 8, 2012

I would. It's possible they haven't scheduled the 2nd interviews yet. Not probable, I suppose, but possible.

Good luck!

24. smalltowngal

May 8, 2012

She isn't. Just wanting to know some information. Kind of like what you have posted, but in a much more easy to read format.

25. mommafran

mommafran Companion

May 8, 2012

Too funny!! You made me crack-up.

To the OP hang in there....it sucks but just think, some day you will actually hear something within a week. Don't mean to be preachy though just offering words of encouragement.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 8, 2012

My hoosband just got a rejection email that said something along the lines of: "We are thrilled to announce that we are fully staffed...." I thought it was one of the rudest rejection letters I've ever seen. I'm glad that they're "thrilled" at being fully staffed, but maybe that's not quite the sentiment to send the people who are unemployed and trying to get a job there. You know?

27. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 8, 2012

Sounds like someone in their central office has a mean streak and knows how to use it! That's horrible.

28. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

That's just horrible. I'm so sorry. :(

29. serendipity1

serendipity1 Rookie

May 8, 2012

^^ WOW, that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. That's so unnecessary!

30. smalltowngal

May 8, 2012

Wow, Caesar, I am sorry for your hoosband. In the words of Stephanie...how rude!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 8, 2012

You've made this comment before. I'm so sorry for those who are frustrated, disappointed or have hurt feelings over job searches, but a law? Seriously? There is an economic crisis in our country. We certainly don't need to spend a dime on passing legislation on ths topic...yes, it's unprofessional of schools, businesses, employers to not call candidates back following interviews...write it off. Move on.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 8, 2012

Went right over his head.:crosseyed

33. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 8, 2012

Thank you to everyone who has responded with supportive, and helpful, comments.:) I am biting the bullet and emailing the P just to see if there are updates on where they are in this process. I am 100% sure they would have called by nw if they wished to ask me back for another interview, but I'd rather know than just sit wondering. Its been officially one week, so I feel like I've been fairly patient. Hopefully my email won't make the P mad, but I just need to know something. Ugh....I'm sure I'll dread the email that is coming.

34. smalltowngal

May 8, 2012

Thank you! I thought maybe my 'observation' got lost.

35. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 8, 2012

Okay, wow....that was one FAST reply. The P just emailed me back to say he has one interview left on Friday (guess maybe one got moved or canceled since he said Monday was it) and would let me know something by Monday. So....more waiting.

I did have another school call me this morning about a Prek job interview. I got out of staff meeting too late reach someone else today, but plan to set up an interview next week with them. Not my ideal job....but I at least will consider what they have to say and look at their school.

36. smalltowngal

May 8, 2012

Praying for good news come Monday!

37. wonderingwhat2d

wonderingwhat2d Rookie

May 8, 2012

Yes, it's rude but many of them don't care.
    They did this to my daughter and it hurt her as it was her first job interview for teaching. They led her on and then nothing. Shameful.

38. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 8, 2012

I guess I better get used to this. As mentioned in other posts; I had my first teacher interview last week. The p said she would know within a few days as they were finishing up interviews. I didn't even ask she just said it. Yet I haven't heard anything. What irritates me is that they replied to my first email with my resume responded with a request for an interview within 12 hours. I sent them a thank you email a few days ago and they still havent emailed me back. I just want a chance to start teaching. I mean this is at an inner-city charter school with a high teacher turn over rate. How many applicants could they have and how many experienced teachers want to teach at an inner-city school with an extra long school day (7:15-5:15) and school year (August 1st to July 1st) at lower pay? Sorry just venting.....

39. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 8, 2012

It is rude to promise something and then not follow through, but we also need to remember what a busy time the end of the year is. It's the busiest scheduled events month at my campus. Wrapping up one year while simultaneously planning for the next year is hard.

I'm not excusing the lack of emails or phone calls if they were promised. I still think that is rude, but there are lots of things on principals' to do lists this time of year.

40. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 9, 2012

I updated last night a few posts above.....I emailed the P and they ended up interviewing longer than expected. so, more waiting :mellow:

41. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

May 9, 2012

I have found that I am actually quite shocked when I do get a reply - either by email or snail mail. 90% of the time I never hear from them again.
    It is frustrating since you took time off, used gas $, etc. People will say that each interview gets you one step closer to your job and helps to improve your skills, but if you never receive feedback - how useful is it? I have asked for feedback, and always am ignored.
    I've been on the "hunt" now for 5 years - and it just seems to be getting worse :-(