Completely Overwhelmed.....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by vbubbles1874, Jan 10, 2011.

1. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jan 10, 2011

My regional director sent over about 4 pages worth of curriculum changes last week. Most things on the list are already a part of my daily routine, but now she wants us to create a word wall. I've never done a word wall for PreK and I'm not really sure where to start. She is coming out later this week to check our progress and wants all this to be implemented by Feb. 1!!! :eek: Where do I start with the word wall?????

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2011

Why don't you start with their names? They love to see their names on the wall. Personally, I think this is about all that is appropriate but.....that is another story.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2011

First, put up the letters of the alphabet for a word wall (if you haven't already). Then add their names, one at a time. Make a big deal about it and emphasize the beginning sound.

When you add a word, I would add a picture too. Maybe add simple number words (one, 1), color words (red, color red), sight words that you are working on.

4 pages-that's a lot! Sometimes they can be a little unrealistic. At least you are already doing most of these things.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

I seem to remember a similar post from someone. First of all, a word wall is not DAP for PS. If you really have to conform, the names of the children are good, and color words are good. Labeling everything in the classroom is okay. Children at this age can not really grasp the abstractness of the symbolism of written words. I would suggest you read Piaget. (Wa. did you know that was coming?)

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 11, 2011

Letter Wall

Sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed. Google Letter Wall instead of Word Wall to find out about using it in the pre-k classroom.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 11, 2011

Thanks Blue, I saw this last night but couldn't get my thoughts in order. Bubbles.....I am so sorry you are overwhelmed.

In a post a few weeks ago, I spoke of how I had to try to split the difference between DAP perfection and what the classrooms I feed into want. I think you maybe feeling that pull.

I agree with the others that word wall is not part of the DAP perfect classroom.......however, that is a moot point since it NEEDS to be part of your classroom.

Your children, as I have understood them from your other posts, are well beyond the middle of the road children due in part to upbringing and due in part to the expectations of your program. Not that expectations are a bad thing......I have high expectations for my group! They make all the difference.

So, I would take one of your larger wall---because this is going to get BIG! And find someway to make it sort of cuter than an older classroom when you get the chance. Place a letter up to designate a column for each of the 26 letter areas. I agree begin by placing the children's names and pics, then colors and shapes. I would avoid the items in the room until they are trying to write with those words in their free write time. That will be a beginning. Then with confidece tell your regional super that you have BEGUN! Don't comment on how it is hard, or how you don't have many words.

Then when you are in a "theme" or unit or topic or however your divide your year and you have a word that they love and will place in their own writing...add it with much ceremony to the wall. When they write in the journal make sure that they can still "sound write", which is estimation, but if they ask you "how to spell" show them the wall.

Please......don't have them spell the words on that wall correctly...ever. Use it is conversation, as a collection, as a badge of intellegence. Please remember it is ok to sound write until near the 2nd grade.

How does your group do "writing" do you have journals, do you free write on art? This is where your word wall will feed in to your lesson.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 11, 2011

When your life settles down please share the rest of the 4 pages with us. Please.....please.....I like to study ahead.

And if you have a "regional supervisior" are you a large operation? If so....are there more rooms you could visit?

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 13, 2011

How are you doing? It has been a while since I heard from you? Is your stress easing?

10. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 14, 2011

Your letter wall should change every week according to the words you add and remove. It should be interactive and something that you use everyday.