Completely Lost will appreciate help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CorneliaPrim, Mar 26, 2007.

1. CorneliaPrim

CorneliaPrim New Member

Mar 26, 2007

Hi, I'm a young single mother with no teaching experience who has a BA in English and a good background in Psychology and Sociology. The problem is that I have no clue as to how to go about looking into this career. I know I have to take the Praxis 1 and at least have a BA in something in order to work in the K-12 area in my district. I don't know where to start and what I can do over the summer to gain experience (that pays a decent amount) before looking for work as a teacher. Should I attend workshops, volunteer, apply to a summer camp? Does the interviewing process usually occur year round? Also there is a bit of a dilemna because the district that has the most positions available also pays the least and I'm not sure if i can survive on 10/hr for the substituting positions thaat are open. I was thinking of working over the summer in an office and volunteer as a tutor after work. I'm not sure if that experience will be good enough. Or should I possibly work as a substitute teacher and find another job on the side? I want to explore my options in this profession and I really do not like office work. I prefer to be in a social enviroment and to have the ability to really help people. I love working with kids and I really want to give back to the community that helped raise me. I would really like to help do that effectively. I'm just not sure how.

Wow that was a mouthful! Well any help is greatly appreciated. :) Thanks.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2007

Hi and welcome!

I would imagine a good starting place would be the website for your state dept of education. Take a look at "alternative certificaiton" there.

Also, maybe you could tell us where you're from; someone here may have some personal experience that could help!

4. CorneliaPrim

CorneliaPrim New Member

Mar 27, 2007

I'm from the Bridgeport, CT area.

5. CorneliaPrim

CorneliaPrim New Member

Mar 27, 2007

I looked into alternative certification, but I wonder does that give you hands on experience. I was thinking of doing alternative certification first and then going back to school to get my masters. Is it best to do the alternative certification while working in a completely different field?

6. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Mar 30, 2007

My degree is in Psychology. I had to do the alternate route to teaching to obtain my license. In my case, I attended graduate school courses as part of the Master of Arts in Teaching at Belhaven College. In our state, you have to have a BA. Then you take Measurement and Evaluation and Classroom Management. After you take that you have to take AND pass Praxis I and II in your subject area...mine being elementary. I will add that if you do the alternate route here you can only teach 4-8 grade and secondary for whatever you are endorsed in which in your case would be English. You have to have 21 hours or more OR pass the Praxis II in a subject to add it on as an endorsement. When I first started the program I substituted so I could get a feel for it and make sure it was what I wanted to do. It was! After I took those first two classes and passed the Praxis series I got a job as a fourth grade teacher. Our state gives you a 3 year provisional license to teach, but before those 3 years are up you have to take 2 more classes. They are called Dimensions I and II. Dimensions I is teaching you strategies basically. It pulled a lot from Harry Wong's book. Dimensions II is a portfolio class. You have to be teaching to take the class. I haven't taken this one yet though. All I know is that it's a portfolio class based upon work you are doing in school. We were also observed by veteran teachers. My observer was actually someone from the state dept. of ed. I was very prepared for teaching as a career when I started. I don't know about other states though. I just know that we have a major teacher shortage and they are trying to get more people into the field. It's not a cakewalk though. You have to do the work and take the tests. I am actually going to finish up with my masters since I've basically already started. The courses I've had to take for the alternate route are courses that go towards a masters degree.