completely betrayed and misled by principal!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sub2Teach, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Hello All,

Well, I'm still looking for a position for this school year and I'm afraid I'll be subbing again most likely. The thing is I just found a new twist on the story that has left me reeling as the summer winds down.

Long Story Short:

June-I had two interviews in one week with principal and teachers at school. Principal said teachers liked me, impressed with answers wanted to send me on to meet with superintendent.

July-School is closed. Try to contact principal via email to check in.

August-School reopens. I call principal tells me fifth grade position I had applied for and was supposed to get somehow had been filled but she was sending my paperwork on to district superintendent and if a first grade position became available I would get call from super.

Today-I look on the district website and I see that at the July board meeting they had approved the person who got the fifth grade job I was supposed to have, so she knew by then and led me on for that position. Also, to make matters worse, I see on school directory that a person was hired for a first grade spot because there's a new teacher listed under first grade teachers listed. (I've been checking it almost daily, which is why I know this).

I feel completely betrayed and want answers. How did I go from having job to nothing and what's worse is now she gave me a line of garbage when she mentioned first grade position because I never got a call on that after fifth grade one was filled.

I plan to call school tomorrow to hopefully find some answers. I have called before and principal has dodged my calls, not to mention my emails. I'd just like a few answers, is that too much to ask?

Hope everybody else is having better luck!!!!!!

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2007

Go ahead and call, but try to stay calm when you talk to her. Remember pricipals from different districts talk to each other, and I don't want your anger (albeit justified) to hurt your chances elsewhere.

Don't worry that school is starting and you don't have a job, I was in the same place last year. By late September I had an LTS job, by November I had a contract position. Teachers get hired into the year all the time.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2007

It's entirely possible that something happened between the time the principal recommended you and the time the job was offered to someone else.

The Super may have had his or her own candidate. There might have been a problem reaching one of your references (where the other candidate's references were all handy). And that "new" first grade teacher might be one who married or got divorced and changed her name.

I guess my point is that there is no point in making an angry call to the principal. It may make you feel better now, but most certainly will cut off any chance of that principal considering you for any future openings.

His mention that he had recommended you is a far way from a signed contract. Just be careful about burning bridges.

5. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

A very similar thing happened to me! I did talk to the principal but I was extra-super-nice and friendly and gave him a way out of it by saying something about being disappointed about not getting the job and what can I do to improve my chances for the next job opportunity. I'm still hoping for a job at his school (or any other in the district) so I didn't want to burn any bridges!
    I found out yesterday as I was subbing in the school (grrr) that "my" job went to the daughter of a district employeee! So, at least I can take comfort in the fact that nepotism and not my abilities is the reason I didn't get the job. I'm sure that the principal didn't have much choice in the matter either.
    I'm sorry this happened to you!
    MsSub

6. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

I agree with everyone else. I can completely understand your hurt and frustration but just be careful how to approach the principal. If you would really like to find out some answers then go ahead and make a call but don't be too confrontational. Like Mssub I would express my regret and mention interest in further positions.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2007

recommneded for a position is not the same thing as being offered a position. - Yes, it's a major letdown, but if you call while you are feeling this upset you may end up saying things you will regret.

Something similar happened to me last summer, it was for an intervention assistant. They called to offer me the job, but then said they didn't know what school I would be placed in. I called several times to follow up and got no answers- zilch. I was very mad and the worst part was I didn't know what happened. I thought about writing a letter but never did. Maybe you could write a letter and see if you get a response.

Truth be told- they can do what they want.

8. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

I agree with everyone. If you need that closure, go ahead, get it. But def make sure you're much calmer than you are now and try not to even look at it as you got duped, but just casually seeking an answer of some sort. Schools talk to each other all the time and they know what's going on and where and you don't want your name coming up in a discussion of people to stay away from. If you do call, let us know what happens.. well wishes, and def believe it's crunch time and people are STILL calling for interviews and it's NOT too late for a job.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2007

First of all, you obviously didn't 'have the job'... the principal may have been hopeful about your prospects but it really does come down to the superintendents decision. Also, sometimes several candidate's names are passed on to the superintendent who makes the choice- with or without further interviews. You should have definitely received a call either way though. Once that first job was gone it sounds like the principal knew of a first grade position opening but again the supe may have made the decision.:eek:

I don't know of one school in my area closed for a month during the summer (July in your case). The principal may have been away- did you try going by the school, calling HR, the supe's office? Did you send a thank you note for the interview? Have you been waiting exclusively on this one job prospect all summer or have you been working on sending out your resume to other districts as well? At least now you know not to put all your eggs in one basket, that the job really isn't yours until you are offered a contract and that it's TOUGH out there (in case you hadn't figured that one out already!!) :(

Instead of charging ahead with guns blazing, maybe you could talk to the principal to get some feedback for yourself about the hiring process. Tell her that you were really hopeful of getting a position in the district, that you thought the interview had gone well and that you would like to know what you could do differently next time to get the job. Being so upset that you refer to the principal's communication as 'garbage' and 'dodging your calls' sets you up with a negative attitude for your talk with the principal. See what information you can get from her and learn from this experience.

Good luck.

10. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Actually, here, most schools were pretty much closed for the month of July.

11. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

Schools are closed here too in the month of July. Admin offices were open but principals were on vacation.

12. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

If it's not a battle that you can't win (and I don't think that it is), then it might not be worth fighting.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

Our schools are closed all summer--after the first week in July until the last week in August. Administration may "sneak" in to do some work, but no one else would get in, phones are not answered, etc.

14. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 25, 2007

Our principals only have so much say in who is hired. They make a recommendation and take it to all of the elementary principals (13) and if they all agree, they take it to HR who makes the finale discussion. HR has overridden principals plenty of times.

just something to keep in mind.

15. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 25, 2007

Subtoteach - it was very misleading for the principal to explain things the way s/he did. The fact is that (from my experience only) a principal might like you very much, but if the super has someone else in mind, they will go with that person. All the principal can do is give the super a pool of applicants that they liked and hope for the best.
    I agree with the rest here, don't go after the principal with anger. Play up how disappointed you are and yet be sure to explain that you are still interested in the district!
    Good luck.

16. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 25, 2007

You guys are right and for the record, I did not call when I was this upset. I allowed myself some time to cool down. I did call her, it actually took two calls before I got a hold of her and I didn't not get upset. I just i was disappointed that we wouldn't be working together this year and she said she was to, so who knows, maybe there's a job for me in the future there. Hard to say, but anyway, thank you for your support and advice. I appreciate it. Thanks for listening to me vent. I'm glad I didn't call when I was upset. Sometimes its just hard to deal with rejection and disappointment, but one thing I've learned is you just got pick yourself up and move on and that's what i'm going to do!

17. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 26, 2007

Amen to that!! Your chance will come, you just have to really be diligent with mail, email and phone calls!
    Good luck

18. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Here, schools (offices included) are closed from Mid-June to Early August. You guys are lucky to have offices available through the summer.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

I'm glad you handled it that way.

There's a LOT to be said for not burning bridges.

20. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Good for you sub for the way you handled it. The right thing will come along for you :)