Completed demo lesson-can someone take a look?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ZoeMarie, Aug 11, 2016.

1. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Aug 11, 2016

Here is my 20-30 minute demo lesson for a small group of pre-k students.

STANDARD:

SCI.PK.5.2.3 Investigate sound, heat, and light energy through one or more of the senses.

STUDENT LEARNING OBJECTIVES

SWBAT identify basic characteristics of sound (e.g., loud or quiet).
    SWBAT investigate sound using their sense of hearing.

ADAPTATIONS AND ACCOMMODATIONS

High level- Student will make prediction about what is inside then check to see if they are correct. Students are given little to no support to determine a match.

Low level- Instead of having two groups of containers students will have one group of containers and one set of objects that they can see. Students will match the container to the item. Students can be given hints and support to determine a match.

1. STARTER/ANTICIPATORY SET (5 min.)

I will introduce myself and ask students what their names are. I will explain that we are going to investigate sound today but I need them to follow a few rules so that we can get to the fun activity. The rules are: raise your hand if you want to share, make safe choices, use their listening ears and watching eyes. I will start by asking students what they know about sound and our sense of hearing then record it on chart paper.

INTRODUCTION OF NEW MATERIAL (Guided Instruction/Procedure/Exploration) (3-5 min.)

To begin investigating sound, I will show students the objects we will be working with. We will explore the items by passing them around, looking with our eyes, and listening with our ears, to see if we can figure out: What can make a sound? What doesn’t?

GUIDED PRACTICE/EXPLORATION/ACTIVITY (10 min.)

First I will model how to play the game and review the rules. Eggs will stay shut and shakes will be gentle. We will take turns and have two tries each. We are trying to find the sound matches.

Using two groups of containers with objects in them students will take turns using their sense of hearing to find a match.
    *If there is more time left students can play again. *If there is a lot of time left we will make predictions of what is inside each pair of eggs*
    CLOSING (5 min.)

Below "what we know about sound" on the chart paper we will add what we learned about sound.

Please let me know what you think. If there are areas to improve let me know.

3. Ashbash09

Ashbash09 New Member

Aug 11, 2016

Hello! This demo lesson looks really good! I like how you start off right away with your expectations. That will help the lesson run smoothly.

I spent the majority of my summer going on interviews and when I got to the demo lessons I noticed that the interview committees really looked at your timing of the lesson and how you connected with the students. Those components are HUGE! I think you have a really good lesson, just expect the unexpected and be prepared for anything!

Good luck!

4. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Aug 11, 2016

Thank you! I will pay close attention to those things. I might also start with a tiny bit of small talk with the students about something fun they did this summer to make sure I'm connecting with them. Timing is the thing I'm most worried about but I'm typically pretty good with it. I hope there is a clock because I don't have a watch. I absolutely won't use my phone. I would've purchased or found one to borrow but the interview was today so I didn't have time to do so.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2016

I also like how you explained and timed each component. Do you need to have outcomes listed as well?

6. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Aug 17, 2016

Thanks but I completed this demo lesson and got the job so I think it worked out pretty well. :)

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2016

Congratulations!