Complete this: I wish parents knew...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bjsolo, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bjsolo

bjsolo New Member

Jan 22, 2014

I am surveying teachers and want you to complete these two sentence starters.

"I wish parents knew...."

" I wish administrators knew..."

Now go for it and don't hold back! :2cents:

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 22, 2014

I wish parents knew........how to best set their children up for success in school. Read to them. Count things. Get them off the video games and put them outside. So many developmental things can be screwed up so easily by lackadaisical parenting.

I wish administrators knew.....the answer to solving all school-wide problems. I can't imagine trying to tackle it all and see things big picture. I struggle enough just to focus on my own classroom. Allocating time and resources across a building must be a logistical nightmare.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2014

I wish parents knew how really difficult our job really is. No your child isn't the only one we teach. Yes, I really do want your child to succeed! this is why I push hard. Yes if your child is absent even though we sent him home it will count against his perfect attendance. No, you really don't have to eat lunch with your child every single day. No you really aren't welcome on the playground everyday. No, I don't have time to have a conference with you everyday when you come with your student from the playground.
    Yes your child has homework everyday! No, I really don't want cupcakes for any celebration. Yes, if your child wears glasses,takes medicine, or has any other issues please make sure they wear them, take it, or explain to us what issues your child has. No, we don't like rude parent! Yes, we enjoy waiting outside at pickup when it's freezing or raining so take your time picking up kids. Please don't lie to us about your child being sick.
    Man it sounds like I hate my job. I really don't. But I have had a really rough year with parents and I'm looking forward to these kids going on to first grade.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 22, 2014

I wish parents knew... that doing everything for your students without letting them try it themselves and succeed is actually hurting them.

I wish administrators knew... how much I appreciate them!

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2014

I wish parents knew ... that just because you buy your children clothes, put food on the table and provide a roof over their head, this does not make you a parent. It makes you a responsible adult meeting the needs of your off-spring. Being a parent is about the little things, the genuine conversations, the real interactions you have with your child. Teachers are not here to raise YOUR kids. And if you don't actively raise (parent) them, the streets will do the job for you. Good luck with that.

I wish Admin knew ... that you, not I, make the six figure salary. That task you just asked (told) me to complete - that is six figure salary work. That's why the Board emailed you and asked you to get it done. So, pass it off to someone else who makes six figures.

And, no, I don't want to volunteer for anything. If I wanted to lead an activity/do something extra after-school, I would let you know.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 22, 2014

I wish parents knew that contacting me 2 days before the semester ends to complain that your 31%, 21 absence-having child is going to fail is incredibly frustrating. I'm sorry he didn't give you any of the 3 progress reports. I'm sorry the 3 phone calls, 2 emails and official letter I sent home weren't "enough notice." I wish you knew that I have 154 other students.

8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

I wish parents knew...how much I need your support at home. When your child has gone the first 4 years of their lives never having looked at a number or letter, not able to count from 1-5, and not knowing their last name, please don't expect me to change all that overnight. Please know that sometimes I lay awake at night thinking about how I can differentiate my lesson the next day to reach your child who hasn't made progress all year, while you also haven't taken anything out of their backpack all year. Your child needs your help.

I wish my administration knew...that I work really hard to be great at my job and great at home..and sometimes i just don't have time to decorate my classroom door to support whatever we're raising money for this month. Sometimes I forget to count all the cans that my kids are bringing in for a food drive. Sometimes I just don't feel like wearing a silly hat on silly hat day. So if I don't always go the extra extra mile, just know that I'm trying.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 22, 2014

I wish parents knew... how to set boundaries for their children and how to enforce them consistently. Then I wouldn't have a 16 year old girl get pregnant 3 times in a year and a half (she is now having the baby), wouldn't drink, smoke weed, and basically, wouldn't be in the kind of trouble they're in. I all starts with lack parental skills.

10. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

I wish parents knew that their children will be better off in the long run if you place more responsibility on them! Yes they are still kids and still learning, but please go to your kid 1st about bad grades, missing homework, poor behavior, etc instead of implying that I am lacking somewhere because of it. :/ Overall I've had good parents though! Not having kids, I don't think I can fully understand where they are coming from so I can find it very frustrating sometimes when it seems the child receives no negative consequences from home

On the positive side...I wish parents knew how MUCH we appreciate them when they volunteer for field trips!

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2014

I wish parents would put their children's best interests first!

I wish administrators who have been out of the classroom for years had to come back and teach for at least a year! But our admin is great and the understand what we do!

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 23, 2014

I wish parents knew that I have 27 other children in my room besides their child. Yes, I want to do everything I can to help your child succeed, but there's one of me and 28 children, and each of those children needs and deserves the same amount of care and attention as your child. You've gotta work with me here. Some of the effort has to happen at home, too.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 23, 2014

I wish parents knew that fighting every battle for their child takes away important learning opportunities for life.

I wish admin knew that if I email with a question, I am expecting an answer ... within a day.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 23, 2014

For admin...

I wish admin knew that I have a finite amount of time I'm willing to spend working. I put in extra hours before and after school, and I put in about 8 hours on Sunday. Altogether, I put in about 60 hours a week at my job, either home or at school. I am not able to put in more time with that while still being a father to my daughter and having time to rest and recuperate. What that means is that every time you give me an administrative task that won't benefit my kids, you are taking time away from the kids. Every time you ask me to spend an hour sitting in a useless meeting (not that every meeting is useless, of course!), you are taking away an hour that I am not refining a lesson plan (or thinking of a more creative one), or emailing a parent, or grading an assessment, or analyzing the data from the last assessment.

15. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 23, 2014

I wish parents knew that I do appreciate it when they work with their child at home with flashcards and other things that I jave provided. It makes a big difference!

16. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

I wish parents knew that not all teachers will blame them when we come up short professionally. Some of us will reflect, admit we can do better, and then come up with a plan to do so.

:hugs:

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2014

I wish all parents knew... how much I want their children to be successful and that decisions made in the classroom are done with that in mind.

I'm going to copy Peregrin on this one:
    I wish administrators knew...how much I appreciate all that they do to make our school a better place.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2014

As my students would say, "firing shots, huh?"

19. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 23, 2014

I wish parents knew...to not believe everything their child says.

I wish parents knew...their child is one of 27. I'm trying.

I wish parents knew...that teacher's have different management styles and classroom procedures/expectations, so your child may "get along" better with one teacher than another.

I wish parents knew...how big of a PITA cupcakes are.

I wish admin knew...this is a job to me. I do my best, but I'm not willing to spend 45 hours a week living at school and take things to accomplish your expectations of me, and I don't appreciate you judging my worth as a teacher based upon this.

I wish admin knew...I don't appreciate it when you make me feel guilty because I take a sick day when DS is sick.

I wish admin knew...that the teachers in your building would respect you a lot more if we felt you cared about us and not just about making yourself look good.

20. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

:yeahthat:

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2014

"I wish parents knew..."
    —there really is only so much I can do. I work a lot and I care a lot. But I think my job is often misunderstood and it leads to some, well, misunderstandings.

" I wish administrators knew..."
    —I have to say, I'm really pleased with my administrators. I have no major issues. They really seem to "get it" for the most part.

22. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 23, 2014

"I wish parents knew...."

.....how negligent they really are. Which is why I hear so many on our staff say, "Our kids have been raised by wolves."

"I wish administrators knew..."

....that their job is to be the bad guy when it comes to discipline. They are PAID to be the bad guy.

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 23, 2014

This. This exactly.

And...
    I wish parents knew how much I care about their kids. That I work long hours and spend so much time thinking about how best to reach their kids.

I wish my admin knew how they are appreciated. I've read so many horror stories about admin, but mine are really great. I am applying for jobs out of the area for next year, and my biggest fear is getting horrible admin after having such great ones the past 2 years.

24. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2014

I wish parents knew that because I educate their kids 8 hours a day I spend more time with their kids than I do my own.

25. bjsolo

bjsolo New Member

Jan 23, 2014

I am so enjoying all the responses. They are heartfelt and true-

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 24, 2014

I wish parents knew that it's not ok to send your kid into school with no socks and too short pants in 0 degree weather (he is disabled, in case you didn't know, and needs HELP getting dressed)!

I wish parents knew that their little Johnny isn't royalty and there is no secret service at school to keep other kids away from him who he bothers and antagonizies.

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2014

I wish parents knew that I lose sleep worrying about their kiddos, trying to figure out ways to reach them and help them.

I wish parents knew that when I pour my heart and soul into differentiating a lesson and modifying the homework assignment so it will provide appropriate practice for your struggling student, and then it sits in the binder untouched, it feels like a major lack of respect for me and my efforts.

I wish parents knew how much their attitudes about education are evident through their children's words and actions.

28. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 24, 2014

I wish parents of special needs students knew that we are all not the devil. I've seen posts on FB of special needs kids with bruises and such that the teachers are getting the blame. I know some reports of abuse are true but don't think we are all satan and want to beat the tar out of your child. Some of us do love your kids and have your kids' best interests in mind.

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 24, 2014

I'm taking notes on the "I wish admin knew..." part. :thumb:

Thankfully, I was in the classroom last year, so I feel like I still have "street cred." as I like to call it! :D

30. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 24, 2014

I wish parents knew how hard I work to make sure their child is successful. I feel so unappreciated. It may sound selfish, but I work my tail off, and I usually just hear from parents when they have a complaint.

I wish administrators knew that positive words of encouragement go a long way. Again, it goes with feeling unappreciated. I feel like I work 24 hours a day (when I'm not at work, I'm either working from home, or thinking about what I should/could be working on). Yet I always feel like I'm not doing enough, or that I'm not good enough. I hardly ever receive a simple pat on the back. Not everyone needs that, but it means a lot to me.

31. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 24, 2014

LOVE THIS!!!

I also love your "I wish parents knew..." response. Spot-on!

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 24, 2014

I wish parents knew that it's not OK to send their kids to school sick with various contagious ailments just because they don't want to stay home with them.

33. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 24, 2014

I wish parents knew... that I do understand what it is like to be a parent. I am one myself, so I do know that you are tired at the end of a work day. However, I make sure I help my child with his school work, regardless of how tired I am. I expect you to as well.

I wish admin knew...that even though you may think you are in the trenches like we are, you are not. I expect you to handle the major discipline,not ask me if I contacted the parent. I expect you to understand when I am TOO busy to volunteer to help the PTA with market day. (and where are the parents to help?) I expect you to understand that our plates are heaping, so to tell me once again to "bring up those test scores" only aggravates me.

34. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2014

... how important it is to read to their child.

35. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

I wish ALL parents knew that unconditional love is what their children need most. After that I wish they knew that their children need their attention.
    I wish all Admin. could be like the majority I have had.

36. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jan 25, 2014

I wish parents knew that teachers are human too and that, yes, sometimes we make mistakes. I wish they realized that we make thousands of decisions a day and sometimes we may make the wrong one or one that they don't like.

I wish administrators knew how discouraging and frustrating it is to see them leave for the afternoon at 3:45 when I probably won't leave until 5:00 ( if I'm disciplined). Why did you email me and ask me to (insert task outside of my job requirements here) if your plate is so empty that you can leave 15 minutes after the bell rings?

37. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

I have had Admin tell teachers - as they walk out the door, bags in hand - that they can leave right when the bell rings because they do not have to comply by the teachers union's contract times. Thanks for the reminder.:rolleyes:

38. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

This. Especially as a new teacher.

39. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2014

How much a kind note or thank you means to me. Most parents don't send gifts in my school, and that's okay with me, I don't do my job for a $10 Dunkin Donuts giftcard at Christmas. But a simple note does go a long way. I recently had an IEP meeting and a parent told me about how her son no longer plays games on their ipad, everynight he goes home and "researches" topics we've read about or talked about in class, like the Titanic, September 11, poachers, etc. Letting me know little things like that reminds me why I do this.

40. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

I wish parents knew... we clearly don't do this job for the money, so no I am not out to get your child, I didn't become a teacher because I want to pick on your kid, and I only send notes home and contact you because I care about your child. If I didn't care, I would ignore them and let them be somebody else's problem...

41. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2014

I wish parents and admin knew... that I'm only human. I only have 24 hours in a day. That I have a family and interests outside of school, that I have to eat and sleep, and that I can't spend every minute of every day on job-related things.

I wish parents knew that education doesn't end at the last bell. Time management, priorities, and responsibility are a huge part of being successful in school, and that's a huge part parents should be teaching at home.

I wish admin knew that jumping on the bandwagon for every latest and greatest every year, throwing out whatever was the fad last year, and taking more and more time for meetings and PD is wearing teachers out.