Complete the sentence

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by justwanttoteach, Apr 11, 2015.

1. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 11, 2015

Think back to the summer before you landed your first teaching job. Remember you spent what seemed like forever to get there. You waited impatiently for credentials to be processed and be able to apply. Now you're here.

Complete the following sentence:

The summer or time right before I got hired I felt.....

(be honest, I know we all didn't feel invincible like we had it all covered...I'm trying to prove a point to a coworker getting ready to apply)

I'll start: The summer or time right before I got hired I felt terrified, what if I had wasted a ton of money on a job that I would be terrible at!?

:thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2015

The summer or time right before I got hired I felt.....Confident in my education and subbing experience and I felt motivated to apply to EVERY opening for which I was qualified and to which I could reasonably commute.

4. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 24, 2015

The summer or time right before I got hired I felt like an impostor. How could I, in my early twenties and fresh out of college, command a classroom of 35 hormonal teenagers?

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 24, 2015

The summer or time right before I got hired I felt.....annoyed that they were being so slow with the contract. I had a bit of a rare situation though, because I knew from the moment I started my training that I was guaranteed a job there. So I was there all year training, had already moved my stuff into the classroom that I would have the next year and was just waiting for downtown to stop dragging their feet with the official contract.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 25, 2015

Right before I got hired I felt terrified about my job prospects. It was 2012 and after years of layoffs there were NO elementary jobs where I was living (SoCal). I was applying statewide and was so scared of having to move away friends and family. It was a precarious balance of trying to be optimistic while also being realistic enough to know that I needed to give 200% to every single interview, job fair, and opportunity because it was so cutthroat.

Honestly, I barely had time to think about my teaching ability because I was so worried about landing a job. The worries about ability came after I was hired. :p (Which I was, and I only had to move a little over an hour away.)

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 26, 2015

Very excited. Reasonably confident.

I read tons, planned tons... but in all the wrong ways. I just ended up the completely wrong school. In the end, I was nearly as unprepared as if I had done nothing; except, already worn out from all the thought that I had put into things!

I would suggest to a new teacher: If you have access to the curriculum, get to know that. Try to plan your behavior management system, but this can be hard if you don't know the school well. I had totally fallen in love with the responsive classroom techniques that summer, but once I was at that school, I very quickly found it did not mesh with the school culture. Also, work on a welcome letter and classroom website, if desired.

8. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Apr 27, 2015

Well, I haven't started yet, but here I am in the late spring before my first job.
    The summer or time right before I got hired I felt.....excited but undeniably panicky about whether I really have what it takes to be a truly good teacher. What if I misteach major concepts or lose control of my classroom or parents don't take me seriously?
    I will update you sometime next year as to whether I survived my first year teaching or not. ;)

9. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

May 11, 2015

The summer or time right before I got hired I felt extremely burnt out. I had to sub an extra year after I graduated grad school, and it was very daunting. I did get two long-term assignments that have helped me tremendously. When I got the news of getting hired by my current job last June, I felt like the weight has finally been lifted off my shoulders.

But during my time of job hunting, I knew I was going to want a future with my fiancé and I wanted a job I love. So I pushed through. Printed out applications, paid a ton of money on postage and envelopes, and sent them out MANUALLY with the principal being addressed to. Also did some online applications but still.

I don't know how I did it. But it led me to a great job :D

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 11, 2015

he summer or time right before I got hired I felt naively confident. I was so sure I could handle anything. Moving across country and taking a rough first position, I learned the hard way that I have my limits. I think feeling nervous is completely sensible!

11. LifeIsAThrill

LifeIsAThrill Rookie

May 14, 2015

I just got hired and will begin in August. I am excited, worried, sometimes confident, sometimes not, sometimes I feel like I conned those administrators into giving me a job - like they must have misunderstood who I am as a person, exhilarated, SCARED, etc.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 14, 2015

Exactly what I was trying to say - only more succinct. :)

13. WISpanishELL

WISpanishELL Rookie

May 22, 2015

This is EXACTLY how I'm feeling right now. I got hired to teach Spanish at a school that has roughly 7 other Spanish teachers and I feel like they'll find out that I'm a fraud. (More just a lack of experience than anything.) Luckily I got to talk to the head of the department and she told me what I'll be teaching next year and it is all content that I taught while student teaching. So now I can focus on planning for the year, but I'm still feeling frightened.

Additionally, I have had two long term sub jobs at elementary schools since graduating, but was hired for a high school position. I know that classroom management will be completely different, so I am reading up on that this summer.

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 22, 2015

This is such a common feeling. It even has a name: "impostor syndrome." Apparently it's more common in women, although I'm sure many men feel this way, too. I still have this feeling at times, although I am getting better at squashing it. In my WL classes, I worry that I don't speak the language well enough, my accent isn't good enough, I'll never be able to teach the upper levels, etc. In my English classes, I worry that I haven't read enough, don't read enough, don't know my stuff well enough, etc etc etc. It's irrational and I even have concrete evidence that it's irrational, but the feelings still creep up. So that might not be very encouraging, but at least know we're not the only ones!

15. Switch

Switch Rookie

May 25, 2015

Like my head will explode but in a good way. Im a career changer and have not taught or subbed. This has been a crash course in learning, new concepts- etc. teaching is a science and I'm impressed. luckily all the things I've cared about in the past - being a mother- all my jobs I never was entirely an expert. I was always a novice and I figured it out and that was fun. My career previously required me to learn on the job- stuff that I never thought/coding etc. As tough as it it, I like being thrown in a new situation sink or swim. My parents are immigrants it's just normal in my opinion. The learning curve is exponential and I'm dumb enough to love that kind of struggle. I get the idea that you might be a fraud. Just get out of your own way. We are our biggest obstacles.

16. Switch

Switch Rookie

May 25, 2015

I'm teaching Spanish too! Yay!!!