Complete the CSET or PRAXIS II?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peregrin5, May 28, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 28, 2016

So as stated in an earlier thread, I might be moving to Oregon.

I am certified in California in both General Science and High School Biology, but I was thinking of extending my credential to High School Physics and Chemistry.

My question though, since the move may be soon (sometime this summer), do you think I should take the CSET for my California credential, or the PRAXIS II if I am going to be transferring my credential to Oregon?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2016

CSET.

First, I should point out that Oregon does have its own test series, ORELA - though most of the exams are now NES, which is Pearson's computer-based test series that's supposed to be portable across state lines. (That reminds me: you will probably need to take one of the remaining actual-ORELA exams, assuming it's still there: the one about student civil rights.)

The TSPC page for out-of-state applicants says this:

It is optional to provide out-of-state exam results.

It is, however, highly recommended to submit any passing scores that were required for your out-of-state license.TSPC may be able to use these exams to satisfy Oregon requirements.

It would surprise me to find that CSET exams aren't very high on Oregon's list of exams that it will cheerfully take to satisfy Oregon requirements.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 28, 2016

Thanks! I guess I need to prepare and pay those test fees then.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 28, 2016

It seems like the CSET is run by Pearson. Do you think I could take the CSET in Oregon if the time frame doesn't allow me to take it while in the state of CA?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2016

I see no reason why not.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

May 28, 2016

My friend took the elementary CSETs while living in Virginia. You can do it at any Pearson testing site!

Peregrin5 likes this.
  8. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jun 6, 2016

I transferred my credential from CA to OR so feel free to ask me any questions. I took the paper CSETs several years ago in CA and they transferred up here no problem, as well as the CBEST. So I didn't have to take any content area tests at all for OR.

I'm not quite clear on your situation, and not sure how it works for different branches of science, but if you are talking about adding additional credentials onto your current credential through tests, the last I checked you can't do it that simply in OR and you should get that all done in CA, and then after you have the CA credential transfer it to OR. In CA I originally had a multiple subject credential with English K-9 authorization, and just by taking one math methods course, and passing the Math, English and IndTech CSETs I was able to get those endorsements in CA with virtually nothing in my transcripts supporting those subjects. I was then able to transfer the whole kit and caboodle to OR and have a very hirable credential. So it is a two-step roundabout process unless of course you have all the coursework required.

The only Oregon-specific test you will need is the ORELA civil rights test, I posted some links up here a few years ago that should be able to help you out on that, or msg me and I can send you the pdfs. They give you a year now on the reciprocal credential to pass their specific civil rights test and if you end up needing any content area tests.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Peregrin5 likes this.