Complaint-Teachers who use incorrect grammar

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by GardenDove, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2007

Anything is better than Polly Pocket; the two inch high doll with the latex dresses and tiny little shoes!!

2. bettyb

bettyb Companion

May 19, 2007

Who would think that grammar could be so much fun irregardless of what sum people might think?

3. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 19, 2007

Yes I did. I lived on 4137 Punta Alta Drive and the Baldwin Hills Dam was practically in my backyard. We were evacuated when it burst.

4. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 19, 2007

My daughter told me the other day that she's ready to get rid of her Pollys. I said "What!!!?". I told her we were saving them for grandkids.

(I think Pollys are nifty) :D

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2007

I hate them :)

The shoes are so tiny, they're impossible to find. And those latex dresses... let's not wonder what was going through the mind of the person who decided they were appropriate attire. But they're hard to get on and off Polly, so they inevitably prompt a call of "Mom?? Dad??" Either that or the girls get a scissors and cut a seam up the back of the dress.

6. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 19, 2007

It's so neat the way their houses are in those tiny little cases! I know I would have loved them when I was young, although they were an all female world for awhile. Did they ever add any male characters?

7. bettyb

bettyb Companion

May 19, 2007

My daughter still complains because I confiscated all of the little shoes. Her younger sister was shoving them in her mouth. Poor Polly became Barefoot Polly at our house.

8. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 19, 2007

The dolls I won't allow are the Bratz. I find them to be over the top in vulgarity.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2007

Same here.

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 19, 2007

Oh me too! NO BRATZ or Power Rangers!

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 19, 2007

I agree! Almost all of the girls in my kindergarten class collect them and have Bratz folders, backpacks, etc. I can't stand seeing these little girls so gaga over them! YUCK!

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 19, 2007

I have to ask, does she know North South East West? :)

My wife does not know right from left so I have to say 3:00 or 9:00
    and she does not know North from south (so east and west is hard)
    So I have to say toward Mexico or away or to the sunset or sunrise.
    (Just joking here)
    When I lived on Long Island it was drive till you see railroad tracks (most tracks run east and west ) then wait ... the train that hits you will be a east or west bound train.

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 19, 2007

eeewww fingernails on chalkboard!! I hate that "word'!!!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2007

You know, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure she knows she lives on the south shore. But if she gets off the Southern State and goes north, she won't recognize the town names until she hits the LIE... or until she doesn't hit Sunrise Highway.

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 19, 2007

What can be discerned from our president GW Bush's grammar? Is he from a poor family, uneducated and lacking in "money language"?

16. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 19, 2007

I discern that his manner of speech irritates me. If he'd kindly remove the silver spoon from his mouth, perhaps he'd be more intelligible...:rolleyes:

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 19, 2007

I discern that GWB (aka "Dubbya") proves the point that money can't buy intelligence or looks.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 19, 2007

Now Come on, he is the President, we should be respectful, now lets all say something nice about him I'll start ......................................................................................................
    ........................................................ don't rush me ......................................
    ..............................................................Wait I am thinking...........................
    .....you can chime in any time ........................................................

19. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 19, 2007

He did marry a librarian.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 19, 2007

She was a school librarian for all of one .. ONE semester, and couldn't hack it for any more.

21. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 19, 2007

Is that right? I didn't know that! I thought it was her career.

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 19, 2007

Is that true ?! He has touted her as a school librarian from Day one what a Blanking lier. NO wonder NCLB is such a mess!!!!!!!!

23. srh

srh Devotee

May 19, 2007

Not entirely true...from National First Ladies' Library...

Occupation before Marriage:
    After graduating from college, Laura Bush taught second grade at Kennedy Elementary School in Houston, Texas for two years. After earning her master's degree in 1972, she returned to Houston to work for two years as a school librarian. In 1974, she returned to Austin and worked as a school librarian at Dawson Elementary School, a job she held until her marriage in 1977.

(And I believe "librarian" counts as teaching.)

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 19, 2007

Oops, I stand corrected. That's what I get for going on second-hand information!

25. srh

srh Devotee

May 19, 2007

(Same source.)

Occupation after Marriage:
    Since George W. Bush was planning to begin his campaign for a U.S. Congressional seat shortly after his wedding, Laura Bush ended her work as a librarian and went to work full-time on his campaign. After his loss in 1978, she volunteered for local Midland causes and soon enough began working towards the goal of helping her father-in-law George H.W. Bush in his failed quest for the 1980 Republican presidential nomination. Once her daughters were born she focused on raising the two children while her husband struggled in the oil business.

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 19, 2007

srh......I was just going to post that same info. Never take second hand info as fact, always do your research! :)

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 19, 2007

When did she get her BA (or BS) ?
    Was she teaching while she was getting her Masters

28. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 20, 2007

Wow, I go out of state for a week and my favorite topic appears!

It is because many who read our writing don't have the luxury of seeing our gestures and facial expressions, or hearing our vocal tones, that correct grammar is of vital importance.

It is also true that no matter how much some people try to refute the fact, it IS a fact that our ability to communicate well is judged, and often (rightfully so) quite harshly. And why not, I will be bold enough to ask? Good grammar quite often separates the educated from the un- or undereducated, those who paid attention from those who did not, and those who care about language from those who don't. Such differences are of vital importance at times, when one must make choices in areas such as hiring, firing, promoting, complimenting, scolding, or choosing someone as a representative of a business, etc.

And yes, I do judge people by their grammar. I consider it a way of separating the sheep from the goats, in certain contexts of life.

I absolutely love the linguistic information on this thread. l spent some of the most enjoyable moments of my college career in linguistics classes.

And by the way, y'all, there be considerable difference 'tween regional/geographical dialects, oral communication, and proper standard written American English. They not to be judged in the same way. Good teachers be strict as Hades in marking up them essays-n-papers so students won't apply for a job and humiliate themselves by writing like this:

Dear profesector,

i honest do kwow ur name its just that other stuff is taking up the room on myh tongetip today. im in ur am class, either 8 or 930, one of thm, and i did not cum in class this or last week for i am cumin down with a th ing. please put all the makeup in ur mailbx and i will send one of my peoples over to get it. it wont be all that early when they cum. i will honest try to cum in ur class next week.

This is an actual email from a student - a college student. See why I tend to come down really hard on grammar? I don't think the world needs any more people like this.

Did you notice the unintentional innuendo? Let's not even go there, mmmm'kay? Cuz in the business world this guy would be tossed out into the streets and not a living soul would try to argue his case.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem. Whatta ya say? I have to agree.

Good grammar costs nothing. I have the shirt to prove it.

29. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 20, 2007

How difficult is it these days to teach spelling and punctuation, when there is spell check that does most of the work for the students? And then there's text messeging!

30. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 20, 2007

Spell check is a fickle lover, not to be trusted. I tell my students not to even bother with it.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea,
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight for it two say,
    Weather eye and wring oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long,
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

To rite with care is quite a feet
    Of witch won should bee proud,
    And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
    Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    Your sure reel glad two no,
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.

Spell check doesn't know what you want, and certainly doesn't care. Look it up for yourself.

31. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 20, 2007

A superior and grammatically admirable post! :) :wow:

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2007

Mamacita,

You make excellent points!!

What you say is a big part of why I fought so hard to get my 3 year old daughter Speech services. The ability to communicate effectively is so incredibly important. And, yes, we are judged by it. Not, as you mention, by regional dialects and differences, but by our grammar and spelling and the signs that we've been paying attention.

Think it doesn't matter? Try sending a cover letter and resume that haven't been proofread. I'm willing to bet that, regardless of your sterling qualifications, the phone will be silent.

33. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 20, 2007

I have to put in a plug for Spell check. As an Adult ADDer, was not diagnosed till I was 38, I always wondered why I had so much trouble with "Life".

I have never been able to spell or write well. The doctors and ADD experts said I was able to get through HS and college because One, I was intelligent and Two, Help from my family and friends. Until Computers and Word Processors I would take hours to do lesson plans, work sheets, etc. Using Computers or Word Processors gives the user instant feed back on spelling. I can "see" a misspelled word, I then correct it and use Spell check as a back up. I find that about 90% of the time I make the right correction.

My writing always was sub par because I would use words I could spell (using first tier words vs. second or third tier words, ie using 'smart' instead of 'intelligent') My hand writing, one word, sloppy, by writing sloppy I could "Hide" misspelled words.

I am a team leader at my school I get around having to spell during a white board presentation by giving the marker to another teacher to "act" as the "scribe."

When giving a class presentation using the white board or Chalkboard or overhead I keep a word list on the lectern.

I always look on these things as tricks but now I know them as adaptions. So Spell check has it's place

Grammar, Spelling and Typos were checked but I was to lazy to fix any of them.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2007

35. Bigmomma

Bigmomma New Member

May 20, 2007

As a language arts teacher I agree that grammar is very important. Not to give away my age but grammar was stressed by my mother who had a third grade education. She knew what was important in life and in the workplace. If I have one of my " Teachable Moments" I will "go there" with my students to convey a special message. Fellow educator do not fret because even if I must degrammar the english language my learners will instantly correct me. Therefore, grammar is not a forgotten skill it's just that it simply needs reenforcing within the classroom on more than an occasional correction and not ignored like it is often times. Grammar needs attention much like the young man who walks into class with his underwear showing. If we don't say anything the childs will feel it is o.k and proceed through life as if there are no worries. Teaching is not just a job it's an adventure.
    Bigmomma

36. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

May 20, 2007

I didn't read the whole thread, because it takes to long, but here's my two cents...
    Unfortunately, bad grammer is contagious! After a year of working alongside 2 woman with poor grammar and spelling (try reading the newsletters we send home...I only get to read them after the copies are collated!), I find that I have to consciously stop myself from saying "Do you wanna have that microwaved?" instead of "Would you like me to microwave that for you?"

37. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

38. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 20, 2007

39. bettyb

bettyb Companion

May 20, 2007

I agree with Irish Dave that spell check is a handy tool. Sometimes it is easy to overlook a word that is misspelled even if you know how to spell it. Nice save using a scribe, Dave. My problem is public speaking when peers are in the audience. I always try to get someone else to be the speaker.

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 20, 2007

One thing I have found even the posters on this site while commenting about grammar will make punctuation, plurality (dropping or adding an "s") and capitalization mistakes (English or english, depending on use). I have edited some of my posts up to 4 times for punctuation, plurality and capitalization. I concider this site as a teachers "play ground" & "Some rules don't apply" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.