Complaint-Teachers who use incorrect grammar

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by GardenDove, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 27, 2007

I was saying, "Hmmm?" You know--onomatopeoia.

I knew what you meant, I was teasing you.

You are absolutely right. I was way wrong.

2. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 27, 2007

LOL....I would never search for victory, only the ever illusive truth. In my mind we were equally "right."

3. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 27, 2007

By the way, last night I remembered when it was I watched Firing Line. 1995-1996. Not so old, TG. ;)

4. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 27, 2007

God, you're stubborn! :crosseyed

I was wrong, and that's all. I went off like a jerk.

Tranquilisate, por favor. Tu sabes no deseo sostenar con usted.

5. Bigmomma

Bigmomma New Member

May 27, 2007

Let us all take a moment to say "ain't and fina do it".(LOL) Have a safe Memorial Day!!!!!!
    Bigmomma

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 28, 2007

And what's wrong with them there of us who ain't no rednecks?

Yes, my grammar was abused on purpose. Those of you who know my writing style, please remember I do not speak like the statement above.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 28, 2007

Once again I am away from the computer for a couple of days. It took me 15 minutes to read all of the posts. Once you guys get going, you don't stop.

8. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

Do you speak your ancestral language? If so, can you share some of it with us? Pretty please? Earlier, I said that I love English but the truth is I find all languages fascinating. I think it would be fun, and not too far off topic I hope, if we talked some about other languages, too.

I reread this entire thread this morning and guess what I found? With the exception of Peachyness and Teacher Groupie, every single one of us has made numerous grammatical errors! ;)
    Let he who has not sinned... :)

I noticed I keep typing "brining" instead of bringing...amongst other faux pas (what's the plural of that, TG?). And everyone was kind enough not to make fun of my "angelically", I'm thinking it should be angelicly but since that doesn't look right maybe that's one noun that can't be turned into an adverb! Only TG or Peachy would know. I'm too lazy to look it up. :eek:

One other thing that I want to put on the table for your perspectives is, having noticed that many of us posted assertions about "money language" and "moving up the social ladder", my thinking is a bit different.

I said this in one of my credential classes once and the professor was the only one who understood what I meant. Everyone was discussing how everyone should go to college, no matter what. As if there was no other way to go. As if everything else was too low to consider as a life choice. As if the way we had chosen was the only one, and we should force it on others whether they wanted it or not.

What I don't understand is how we came to think this. What would I do without my mechanic or hairdresser or waiter/ess? Or the carpenters or artisans? My question to the class was, is it possible that it's our perspective that's wrong? Why are we placing some careers above others? In my mind, I've always felt that if what you do for a living isn't hurting someone (for examle, dealing drugs or ammunition) it's a good job and a contribution to society.

The discussion started by the way, when my professor, who was a Philipino immigrant, was offended when she first came to America and, on a job interview, was thought to be interviewing for a TA position instead of teacher.

I said, "Oooh, you were being a snob!" :) Everyone looked at me like I was stupid, but she broke out laughing. She said, you're so right, let me tell the whole story. At the end, she said it took her awhile to figure out that while she thought they were discriminating against her, she was the one who was discriminating against TA's!

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 28, 2007

I think what most of us have agreed on is that in a formal setting (like the classroom) teachers should attempt to speak as properly as possible. In a more relaxed setting like this, then most of us are going to speak (or type) less formally. I make no claims of being a grammar guru, and I know I make mistakes. There have been numerous posts on here talking about grammar and how sometimes people begin to feel uncomfortable posting because they feel that they are being graded on the grammar in their post(s). I personally feel that grammar has been dropped from schools' curriculums for so long that many of us don't have formal training in it. My last grammar class was somewhere in middle school (grades 4 - 6 here). Even in the grammar that I teach only covers the tip of the iceberg. So, if I offend with my mistakes, I'm sorry. I would rather concentrate on the message I am trying to convey rather than the dangling of any participles, or the closing of any clauses, etc. :)

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

:) The only word I know in my ancestral language is
    "Guinness".
    :D

11. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

Shame on you! :p

Have you ever watched The Matchmaker? It's the funniest movie, touching too, set in Ireland. The only reason it's rated R is because of the many times the "f" word is used. Que Malo!

Some Irish for you, right straight from one of the books we've been reading lately:

Ni hea (nee hah) = No. (You will need this word if you have a two-year old)

Ni cladhaire i (nee kly-raah ee)= She is no milksop. (You can use this for some of us)

Go cinnte (goe kinn-cheh) = Certainly! Indeed! (You can also use this for the forums, and of course, with your wife :))

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2007

(Says the woman with almost 3000 posts...)

But, yes: guilty as charged.

13. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

Guilty?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2007

That was in response to MissW's post:

And it was derelict of me not to have said so.

By the way, angelically is correct. And I will vigorously deny having made no grammatical errors.

The plural of faux pas? Um... For present purposes, I'd go with "examples of faux pas" - shifting the pluralization elsewhere. It's the chicken's approach, but it works. (And, yes, when it comes to French I'm chicken. Or poulet, if you prefer.)

Languages are fascinating...

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2007

As to your point, eduk8r, about jobs and expectations and snobbery, you have a very good point. I recall a good friend of mine who graduated from one of the nation's top small liberal arts colleges with a degree in psychology. When she announced that she was going into elementary education, and special education at that, people were shocked. But why should they have been? Why be astonished and offended at the plumber who holds advanced degrees in Italian literature?

16. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

So...you have wanted to take an axe to an offending sign?

We have this little bedtime song cd from when the girls were little. There are French songs on it, one is a cute little song someone told me is saying, "you are a tasty little dish and I want to eat you up..." :eek: ...I sang the lines to this person because I knew he spoke French...was embarrassed when he told me what it said!

You reminded me, 'cause it starts out,
    "C'est la poullette grise..." :)

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 28, 2007

18. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

That is too bad. Maybe we can find something. I don't know anything either, my dad's (100% Cherokee) mom died when he was 12.

Thanks for understanding what I'm talking about. My theory is that we need a paradigm shift. Because it's like saying some people are more valuable than others.

19. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 28, 2007

But the question remains, Why is it so essential that people, especially teachers, only use one form of language? Moreover, does not the ability to understand and speak a variety of languages add to the tools a teacher has to connect with their students? I am not currently advocating teachers using these other languages. I am merely suggesting the importance of understanding these other languages.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 28, 2007

One of my professors said that the French language is dying, because they do not create new words/phrases. Instead of using a French term for an imported item/idea, they use the original culture's terminology. The German language, however, is constantly evolving. Germans create new words/ideas by tacking the new idea/word onto the end of an existing word, thereby creating new (often extremely multisyllabic) words!

There is a movement now to legally make Standard English our official national language, much as France has French, etc. There is a large part of my psyche that agrees with this movement. Without an "official" language, there are some that think the US will end up breaking up into small countries comprised of different cultures. I'm not saying that I agree with that, but thought it appropriate for the conversation.

21. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

Well...in every other "civilized" country in the world, everyone speaks at least a few languages. In Europe and the Middle East, they learn to speak six or seven different languages. In America, there's some sort of power struggle over this and I don't know why. Maybe it stems from our roots, because in England this is still a problem, too.

You are so right, it would enrich all of us if we were able to speak other languages. Because in every language there are words to express something where that word doesn't exist in another language. And what I think is that the more enriched your vocabulary is, the more your mind expands and the more it's capable of understanding.

When I went to Australia and England, after two weeks my ears were longing to hear some Spanish! I mean literally, it felt like there was something missing. I am so accustomed to it living in So Cal that I just don't think I can live without it.

My dad, not hispanic, walked around speaking Spanish to us in our house all of the time. I don't know if he learned it in the Air Force or in college. He made us practice rolling our tongues so we could pronounce the Spanish "r"! He said, "If you don't learn to do this when you're young, you'll never be able to say it right." :) He also said that it was the key to learning French, Italian, and Latin. I love it when I can recognize a word in another language because it's a cognate!!

Now, when I speak Spanish, hispanics think I am Mexican! :) But I'm not fluent yet so I practice, practice, practice...

Oh, my gosh I talk too much.:sorry:

22. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

In any case, if you look in the beginning of Webster's dictionary you will see that we already are speaking words from about 170 other languages.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2007

Um. If your first sentence correctly renders what your prof was saying, it would mean that French borrows from other languages to label concepts for which it needs labels. In fact, standard French as regulated by the Academie Francaise does quite the opposite: the Academie has decreed that the proper name for the equipment on which most of us compose our A to Z posts is l'ordinateur - though in fact in common use it's le computer

That comment would further mean that borrowing from other languages is bad for French; if true, it means that English has been toast for about the last four centuries. As James Nicoll has said of English,

Usenet article references are on Wikiquote (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Nicoll), which adds, “This observation is extensively
    quoted even outside of Usenet, and has appeared in textbooks. It has also been misattributed, in part and in whole, to Booker T. Washington and, in one case, to the painter James Nicoll (1846–
    1918).” (2003)

24. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

:D Leave it to you.

25. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 28, 2007

So...are we ALL in agreement that it is beneficial for teachers to understand a multitude of languages?

26. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

And that happened before when we had so many German immigrants...:)
    We have had a huge influx of immigrants from across the border in recent years. I think this is why it's such a heated debate right now, they haven't yet assimilated and it's feeling overwhelming for everyone. I believe it will settle down. Meanwhile, I'm always wondering why we're using NAFTA to line the pockets of corporations but not to "encourage" social justice across the border so there won't be such an immigration crush. These are just all my opinions.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2007

Aber ja!

28. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

Well, not you, Mr. President. :)

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2007

I don't think Tigers's bearing is all that presidential... can't say I mind, either.

30. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

So, I'm must stop trying to revive that old joke! Ugh. Never mind, everybody wants to be so serious. Sirius. Tigre, you'll just have to learn to read my mind so we won't have these misunderstandings...(pouting)

Tigers, I couldn't answer that question for everyone so I just made a dumb joke..................

31. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 28, 2007

Okay, next question:

If we agree that understanding other languages is beneficial to teachers, Should teachers not try to understand and learn other languages? Or at least not close their ears to other languages?

32. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 28, 2007

I was laughing...Though hopefully everyone would answer the question yes, and this can be a starting point.

33. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 28, 2007

Furthermore, If we thought of the French language as sounding like "nails on a chalkboard," would French be harder for us to understand?

34. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 28, 2007

If we were accepting of the sounds of the French Language would it not be easier to understand and accept than if we were not open to these sounds?

35. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 28, 2007

Does this follow for other languages?

36. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

YES!!!

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2007

(meekly) Oh, dear. 'k8r, I meant to be joking back... (Had in mind "presidential" estilo Shrub, plus a couple of cheerfully snarky bumper stickers I'd seen today while running errands.)

38. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

May 28, 2007

Now, I really do believe that it would be highly irresponsible for me to write a grant using spanish if I was supposed to write in english.

would you all agree?

39. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

Sigh of relief...

40. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 28, 2007

It's like I keep reading things wrong, ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.