Complaining and Anger

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissH225, Jan 23, 2011.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jan 23, 2011

One thing I am really having trouble with is students who complain. Usually it's only a big deal when we have LA centers. They whine when they don't get the center they want(even though they know everyone goes to each center once before we start new ones).I have tried to pair a less desirable center followed by one of the more popular enjoyable ones (in their eyes). They eventually settle down and do whatever center it is but it's the whining and complaining. I think my centers are good and my LA coach agrees. Any thoughts?

I'm in an inner city school and I have a lot of boys who have anger issues(maybe a girl too). The class as a whole get angry easily at one another. They yell and get in eachothers faces when they are upset. Does anyone know of a book or program (I know there are bully programs out there) that deals with anger management? Either for individual or whole group. I have a lot of them on behavior plans but I think my whole class could use some lessons of anger management

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 23, 2011

There's a really good segment on BrainPop Jr about controlling anger. I think you can still sign up for a free trial and play a few segments if you don't have access to that.

Books: There's: When Sophie Gets Angry-dealing with what you could do instead of blowing your stack.

I did How Full Is Your Bucket for Kids with my group this year and it had an amazing effect. They argue like brothers and sisters it drives me crazy (probably karma getting me back for what my sister and I put my mom through :p). Now they will actually verbalize "you are not filling my bucket".

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 23, 2011

When I had 2nd grade, I had "THE GREAT BIG CENTER OF FUN ! ! !" which any child who whines, complains, or causes a disruption gets. It is a 20 year old grammar book, and they get to solve page after page, copying a great deal from the book. You can believe it is no fun.

I make it like a game show ... Yes indeed, Joshua, you have won 20 minutes with the GREAT BIG CENTER OF FUN!!!

It generally takes one time with that particular center, and we don't have repeats of that behavior.

It is along the lines of "if you are going to whine and complain, then I'll give you something to whine and complain about..."

Of course, I'm an ole meannie....

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 23, 2011

I had a teacher in Southern Illinois when I was a child that would make us wash the baseboards with a toothbrush if we said "I am bored". I am sure we had a "Great Big Center of Fun" at one point or another......and I am sure I had to do it!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 23, 2011

I was looking for the like button! I looooove this. I will be stealing ....errrrr borrowing this! lol

7. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jan 23, 2011

I really like the How Full is Your Bucket for Kids. I use it with my fourth graders. I didn't read it to them at the beginning of the year like I usually did, so when we had start-over day last week, I read it to them, and they really responded. I was disappointed I didn't read it to them earlier. I have little "bucket filler" slips that kids can fill out to fill a classmates bucket. Right now, all of the bucket fillers just go into a single class bucket, but next year I might have individual buckets for everyone. It's really nice to see them lifting each other up.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2011

Oh.....

I'm getting a Great Big Center of Fun - starting tomorrow!

I was steaming mad last week - I do after school tutoring, and last week several kids were out sick, so I only had 3 of my group. They asked if they could play one of that week's homework games. Sure, sounds great, and I was giving out little chocolate chips each time they finished a round.

Well, after a few minutes, I decided that they had enough treats and put away the candies. Two of the kids sat back, folder their arms, and said they wouldn't work without candy!

Grrr... you can bet they're gonna see a great big center of fun next week!

9. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jan 23, 2011

Great Big Center of Fun...I'm so there! I'm going to make work packets or something equally as fun and they can sit and do that instead. I have been sending center work home, calling home or having them do it at lunch. But this seems so much better I mean they still will be doing the skill but in a much less fun way....

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2011

One thing I have started this year (along the same lines as the great big center of fun...)

Any time I have extra math sheets, I throw them in a cardboard box.

Then, if anyone is messing around during the hands on math centers, I have easy access to worksheets to give them instead

11. tortega

tortega Rookie

Jan 24, 2011

When my two year old wines at me, I get her attention and repeat what she should have said with a good tone. ("Me want candy![super winey] turns into "May I have candy please?" [nicely and with a smile}). When my five year old wines about something I've asked him to do, I have him do it over. ("Luther please get your shoes" "AWWWW" (stomp, stomp) "Luther we don't throw fits let's try again, Luther please get your shoes" "O.K. mommy")

I think modeling is super important. For your class perhaps you could talk to your class about how they transition. Model what you see, so they can see how silly and baby-like it is then model how it is to be done correctly like big kids! Treat this like a new skill, they aren't being bad they just need practice to do it right. If they transition incorrectly send them back, do a mini re-teach, and try again until they get it right.

I think " The Great Big Center of Fun" is a good idea if there is only a couple of kids with this problem (they could easily see from their peers what the appropriate behavior is), but if it is a better part of the class the students would benefit from explicit modeling and "practice".