Competitive field?

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Shelby029, May 5, 2010.

1. Shelby029

Shelby029 New Member

May 5, 2010

How hard is it to get an art teaching job?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 5, 2010

The economy isn't great and in many places there are lay offs, hiring freezes, an over abundance of eligible candidates and some apply for several years before getting hired.

It's not impossible but it is a competitive market right now.

4. athenssoest

athenssoest Rookie

May 5, 2010

Doesn't it have more to do with what subject you teach as to how competitive jobs get?

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 5, 2010

It does but according to these boards, it's competitive across the board right now. Some are easier than others just as some geographic areas are easier than others but it can still be a bit competitive. People ARE getting jobs but it's a tough market.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2010

Out of roughly 100 teaching jobs in my district, 2 are art positions. Neither of those teachers are retiring, and have held their jobs for an average of about 15 years...Yet, we will have openings for maternity leaves, sped positions and classroom positions, as we have had EVERY year for the past 11 years that I've been in district.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 5, 2010

My school of 2,550 kids has a math department of 22 teachers.

We have an art department of 2.

Art tends to be competitive every year for a couple of reasons:
    1. Most schools don't require art to be taken by every student every day, as is true with math or science or English. As a result, they need fewer art teachers.

2. For better or worse, the arts tend to be cut first when economic bad times hit.

3. There have been massive layoffs across the board, probably making those art cuts even more severe.

4. There are always lots and lots of people who would love to make a living from their artistic abilities, but like the steady income and benefits, that accompany a teaching job. Those summers off make it possible for those teachers to really devote blocks of time to their art.

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 6, 2010

Yes. That sums it up nicely.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 6, 2010

We have one art teacher in the entire district. I considered art but decided against it for this reason, years before this economy was even a concern.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 8, 2010

Extremely difficult to get a job in education as a whole but the enrichment subjects like Art and Music are the ones that get cut first. Kids don't have those subjects everyday. In my district that's the area that I have heard are being cut.

11. kunstliebhaber

kunstliebhaber New Member

May 10, 2010

I live in northern CA and art jobs are almost non existent. So I decided to work at a district as a subcontractor. I am payed not by the district but buy what parents raise through fund raising.
    Currently I work at three different schools. I guess you have to get creative if you want to work in this field. Its sad but true.

12. Shelby029

Shelby029 New Member

May 11, 2010

not the answers I wanted...but I appreciate the honesty. I'm looking into physical therapy specifically in pediatrics. Not first choice career, but stable and enjoyable. :)

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 11, 2010

We have 1 art teacher for K-12. That's for about 300 students.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2010

I'm sorry Shelby. I wish we could have offered more promising answers.

That said, every year people DO get hired. It's just that the supply far outstrips the demand.

15. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 10, 2010

If you are in school now or thinking about going into education, I strongly urge against it. Our government is looking to reduce funding for the education of our nation's poor and working classes (public education) through privatization. To point: Our government is at war with public education and doing all it can to destroy it. Do not go into teaching. Not now, not unless you enjoy being a scapegoat for corrupt politicians.

16. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

Wow really? Would the government really try to destroy public education and try to start making people pay to go to grades k-12?

That seems very extreme. =/

17. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 11, 2010

No, no, no. This isn't my personal conspiracy theory, so please don't make it out as such.

Maybe things are better in your state, but in my state, our governor wants to replace public schools with charter schools. Charter schools can pay teachers less, compete against each other for contracts, and drive down costs for state governments. State governments across the country are trying to privatize many public services to reduce costs.

That's all. It's a miserable environment to be working in, I assure you.

As for paying, I have to pay hundreds of dollars a year for "book fees." Again, our state government at work.

18. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 11, 2010

My district has no Art teachers at the elementary level.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2010

I'm sorry, this has me totally confused.

Whose books are you paying for? You're an art teacher? And your students' textbooks are costing you severl hundreds of dollars a year?

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

I wonder if, as a parent, AmyMyNamey is having to pay hundreds of dollars in book fees for her own children?

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

Maybe.

But my own 3 kids are in public schools in NY, and I don't have any book fees. In the Catholic school in which I teach, religion books are part of the tuition, so still no book fees.

The only time I've ever paid for a textbook was in college.

eta-- I just realized that my post may come across as arguementative. It certainly isn't meant to be so. I'm just curious, not doubting what you say.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

Same here--although there are some fees for materials and course-packs in many high school courses.

23. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

As a parent, I'm paying book fees to my local school corporation. For one child, it's between two and three hundred dollars per year at the middle and high school level. It's like leasing your kids' books.

When I went to school (in another state), there were no book fees, not unless you lost your book.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

WOW!!!

25. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Sep 12, 2010

Do you mind disclosing what state you live in?

26. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

The governor of our state has successfully destroyed government employee unions. He wants to abolish teacher unions and pave the way for charter schools.