compare/contrast

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 22, 2007

What is a good book for comparing and contrasting? It can be fiction or nonfiction but the two characters/things that we'd compare/contrast must be in the same story. Does that make sense? I don't want to read two stories, just one. Thanks.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 23, 2007

What about Pink and Say?

4. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Hmm, it's been 4 years since I taught 1st grade, but I vaguely remember using Aesop's Fables for this. A lot of them have characters that make different choices (country mouse/city mouse, the hare and the tortoise, etc. etc.) That would allow you to show use several different stories. I remember that my kids LOVED these stories, too.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 23, 2007

We did Pink and Say in my Master's class, but that's too much for first graders!!

I think I found a book that will work- The Pain and The Great One!

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 23, 2007

Oh Town Mouse Country Mouse would be good for that too. Hmmmm.

7. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 23, 2007

the two i thought of were already mentioned (country mouse/city mouse or whatever...and the pain and the great one). there is also letters from obedience school (i'm forgetting the exact title right now). they can compare/contrast what the dog writes with the pictures that are shown. might be a little difficult, but fun!

we are going to compare/contrast toads and frogs too. might even use the book frog and toad. don't know though. :)

have fun!
    LC

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2007

lcluigs, I think the book you're thinking of might be Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School. I used this book last year when I was introducing how to write a letter. The students really enjoyed reading it, and several of them wanted to read it again when we were done using it.

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 24, 2007

How about Frog and Toad? I just did this today and we used a lot of things in the story AND in the picture clues! Their personalities are great for this activity!

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 24, 2007

Yeah that's a good idea. I think I did that last year in a guided reading group...

11. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 24, 2007

is there a book that is just "frog and toad" AND one that is "frog and toad are friends?" i have the second one, but i don't have the first and wasn't sure if they were the same or not. silly question, i know.

LC

12. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Sep 25, 2007

i was thinking of the tortoise and the hare when i read your post and i noticed someone else suggested it already. great minds think alike!

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 25, 2007

We did The Pain and The Great One and it went fantastic!!

14. lovetoteach1/2

lovetoteach1/2 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

Remember, there are no silly questions:)

15. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Sep 28, 2007

There is a fabulous book titled the "Adventures of Marco and Polo"

It is about a penguin that visits Africa and a monkey that visits Antarctica.They share common adventures in each land and it is beautifully illustrated. I would stronly suggest you check it out. It is also fabulous for rich language and 25 different words for "said".

Here is the descrtiption form Amazon...
    From Publishers Weekly
    Two unlikely friends--one from Antarctica, the other from an African jungle--meet by chance when a cruise ship puts in at the South Pole. Marco Monkey and Polo Penguin hit it off and, after visiting each other's homelands, attempt to find some middle ground that is "neither too hot for Polo nor too cold for Marco." Although their eventual selection (it's New York City, recognizable by the Chrysler and Empire State buildings) doesn't work out, this amiable story of friendship ends on an upbeat note, with the two returning to their native climes and becoming pen pals. German author/artist Wiesm?ller strikes a jaunty tone with both narrative and artwork (when Polo's family--an enormous flock of penguins that fades off beyond the edges of the horizon--lines up to greet Marco, "A great many flippers were shaken"; later when Polo meets Marco's abundant primate family, the text echoes, "A great many hands were shaken"). With his gloriously lavish oil paintings, he navigates breezily between the distinctly different settings, offering such grand vistas as a blue whale breaching in the waters beside an icy cliff and the mistily majestic Victoria Falls, and his adept use of diffuse light works as effectively to convey the chill of a polar snowstorm as it does the sweltering African noonday sun. A congenial reflection on the nature of friendship, beautifully presented. Ages 5-8. (Apr.)
    Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc.

In the story, when they are in Africa-a huge elephant charges out of the jungle in contrat to the whale in Antarctica.

It is perfect for that use and in fact now that I am thinking I am going to use it w/ my 5th graders when we start to write campare/contrast!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2007

The Frog and Toad books are:

Frog and Toad are Friends
    Frog and Toad Together
    Frog and Toad All Year
    Days With Frog and Toad

Frog and Toad are Friends was the recipient of a Caldecott Honor. Frog and Toad Together won a Newbery Honor award.