Compare/Contrast Product

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 28, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

The downfall of looping with your class is you've already used many of the tricks you usually have up your sleeve. ;)

I'm looking for a new way to show a comparison between 2 things-not just a Venn diagram or a triorama-but something else to use as a product. Any ideas?

3. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

Well, this still IS a venn diagram, but maybe you could try making it more fun by changing the type of venn.

For example, I tape 2 hula hoops on the wall and then kids write their similarities and differences on post-its and stick them in the appropriate spot.

You can also practice the skill by comparing real objects, such as a water bottle and coffee mug or 2 different stuffed animals. Or have 2 kids compare each other (their interests, hobbies, personalities, etc) as a back-to-school activity.

I feel like the venn is classic and should be enforced, k-12. There's no need to use something different. JMHO.

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

Are you familiar with Thinking Maps? Double Bubble is for compare/contrast.( I personally like Venn better, but try to do both.)

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

I like to have them draw cartoons. They draw a representation of the two ideas, then add in speech bubbles where the two ideas discuss how they are similar/different.

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

Introduce "Dr. Different" and "Scientist Similar" to your class - if you can get lab coats donated, let students put on the lab coat (have a sticky name tag on each) and then discuss the similarities and differences.

I have also used hula hoops - love the sticky note idea with these!

7. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Sep 5, 2010