Commuting to NYC

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by imanashhole, Jun 11, 2012.

1. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jun 11, 2012

Commuting

Finally got an offer from a REAL elementary school! It's a private elementary in NYC. Great salary (double what I'm currently making!) and benefits in a nice location. It's a preschool position (which is not my dream job) but I let them know I would be very interested in teaching K or 1st eventually. I am really happy and excited.

I'm only hesitant about the commute! I would have to take the LIRR in every day (about 40 minutes and I can walk to the train station from my apartment) and from Penn Station it's about a 15-20 minute walk or subway ride. Anyone have experience doing this? Any advice for me? Suggestions regarding how to take my stuff in every day?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

I'm such a baby; I'm much more comfortable doing mass transit in London or DC than in NYC. I could probably count the number of times I've been on the LIRR alone. (Of course, put me on the Southern State and I can drive anywhere in the world!)

The only part of that commute that would throw me is the 15-20 minute walk in the winter. That and the inevitable night-time parent conferences. (Or do those not happen in preschool? My youngest is 9 and I forget.)

Will the increase in salary make up for the price of the commute?

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 12, 2012

I haven't done it as a teacher but for 2 years out of college I commuted from PA to NYC. I drove to Trenton (10 min drive) then took the train to Newark, then the Septa from Newark to the World Trade Center and that's where I worked. Took 2 hours door to door. It honestly wasn't as exhausting as it sounds. But I didn't have kids at the time, it was just me and dh. The train was rarely late, and I had no Septa problems either. I read on the train or took a nap. You could certainly plan to do school work on the LIRR part.

I agree with Alice, main concern would be late night school events/conferences. Good luck to you on the decision and congrats on the job offer.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 12, 2012

It's really not that bad. But then again, I'm a man, so obviously I have a much smaller chance of getting heckled by creeps.

I have friends at NYU, so I take the LIRR alone all the time. I'll usually catch a train in around noon and sometimes I won't get out of Penn until 2-3 AM. The best thing you can do is NOT avoid rush hour. If you're standing around in Penn alone late at night I'm assuming your chances of being bothered are much higher than if you're in the middle of a crowd. Just keep your belongings with you at all times, and make sure pocketbooks and bags are zippered closed (not buttoned). Keep your cellphone in your hands and close to your body, and keep your wallet in your front pocket on the same side as your writing hand.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Op...I'd stay off the subway...

Off topic, but could you shed some light on your username?:blush:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Yeah.... I'm kind of curious as well.

8. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Jun 12, 2012

I've done the LIRR commute every school day for the past 6 years. It's honestly easy. Sure you live by the train schedule but compared to having to drive the hour and a half it would take me to get to school it's awesome. I use the time on the train to mess around with the smartphone or grade work or catch up on emails that I never had a chance to respond to from colleagues during the school day.

The LIRR gets a bad reputation for always being late or for the atmosphere on the train. However on the commuter trains during peak hours the trains are usually on time ( I can count the number of times I've been late in 6 years on two hands,) and there are unwritten rules about not talking on your phone or talking to loud that most people follow.

If you have the option of walking to school from Penn I would certainly do that. I walked to school for the first two years but then the school moved. The subways are the worst part of my commute by a mile.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 12, 2012

My thoughts exactly!

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2012

Is the LIRR bike friendly? The 15 minute walk becomes a five minute ride if so.

As far as carrying stuff, a large Chrome messenger bag, some good sized panniers will most likely carry everything you need.

The commuter bike industry has exploded in the last few years, with many purpose-build bikes for exactly what you need as well as folding bikes that can be taken virtually anywhere.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Congrats on the job offer! I also would try to stay off the subway in NYC.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2012

Why?

13. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 12, 2012

The subway really isn't bad...

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

I have friends who do it and love it, personally I know I couldn't.

The price of the train is a few thousand for the year and all those hours commuting, the salary would have to be significantly higher for me to do it.

15. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 12, 2012

I don't think what you described is that bad of a commute. A 15-20 minute subway ride is nothing compared to what it could be (much longer, having to transfer, etc)

Your hours are school hours. You won't be on the subway at 2 or 3 am. You'll also be commuting during peak hours, when the subways are also filled with other people commuting to work.

Are those commenting on the subway not from NYC?

16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 12, 2012

I use to take 2 busses and the path to get to my university (1hr 20min) than I switched to 3 buses to save money (1hr 45min). It's just what you have to do. Think of it this way, it's plenty of time to grade stuff during your commute.

PS no one should bash the subway. Probably the greatest transportation system in the country.

17. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jun 12, 2012

I've always taken the subway when I travel to NYC - definitely better than those in many other cities, never felt unsafe. My sister and brother in law use it daily, as well as most everyone they know.

Ima, the city bus system is also very good, have you looked into that?

18. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Jun 12, 2012

Bikes are not allowed on peak hour trains which is when the OP would be traveling by train. Also, their is nothing wrong with the subways in NYC, I use them everyday and they are perfectly safe. Walking though is better because you don't have to stand around and wait the for subway to come, which can add some time to the commute.

19. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jun 12, 2012

hi everyone, thanks for the advice! i am in the city often and am very comfortable on the LIRR and subway. my question was more about advice on how miserable/tolerable it will be! I've heard negative things about commuting on the LIRR but as someone else said, my only other option is to drive--NO WAY. i drove into brooklyn for a year and it was awful sitting in traffic with nothing to do for an hour. any ideas on how to get my stuff to and from work? teacher bags?

truthfully i will probably avoid subways because i'd have to walk a few blocks from both stations and its only two stops once I'm on it. better off walking on nice days.

im an ASHhole because my name is Ashley! just a play on my name that i've had for years! hope no one is offended ;)

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

21. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2012

I don't know why everyone's so scared of the NYC subway. Gazillions of people commute that way all the time and it's no big deal. The rats are on the tracks and I've never seen one go anywhere near people.

22. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jun 12, 2012

do NOT stay off the subway!!! It is fast and easy to get around.

As a NYer, I ALWAYS take the subway to school. I have never been touched, or scared (I have been late though). Are you certified? The hiring freeze was lifted and principals are able to hire. Have you applied to any NYC public schools? Open market has so many open jobs.

Also, coming from LI it will be expensive. I would also need a significant pay raise for that.
    Good Luck.

23. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 12, 2012

You might consider using a backpack instead of a tote bag. It might be easier to carry for longer walks.

24. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jun 12, 2012

the hiring freeze has not been lifted for gen. ed early childhood/elementary teachers like myself. check the what's new page on the NYC DOE website and you'll see what i mean (AZ won't let me post a link).

i love the subway system and agree that it is 100% the easiest way to get around NYC, but I'm hoping to save money by only taking the subway on rainy days. i have to walk a few blocks to the subway from penn and a few blocks from the subway to get to the school, with only 2 stops once i'm on it. it is 10 blocks south and a few avenues east, but broadway runs diagonal which will make the walk easier (about 20 minutes). hopefully it'll be good exercise for a nice day!

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2012

I looked at the LIRR bike policy and they are total fascists when it comes to bikes. Our west coast equivalent to the LIRR is the Amtrak Capitol Corridor. 3 bikes per car (unless it's a special bike car, then it's like 10), any time and I've never had a problem. BART has a no bikes on commuter directions policy, but you only really need a bike if you are commuting from SF proper to the East Bay which opposite commute direction.

Does NYC have a bike share program?

26. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

You'll be fine commuting to NYC on LIRR depending on what line you take. Rononkoma branch tends to have the most problems, mostly because it is not a raised line and "unauthorized vehicles" tend to cause massive delays from time to time. The Babylon branch is excellent if you can take it. Since you are commuting in to Manhattan, I would definitely avoid driving.

Subways are fine, you'll be ok. Make sure to sign up for Mail and Ride so that you always have your ticket on time, I know they used to offer a discount for using that service, not sure it is still in place though. I think you can also have money put on your Metro card (ticket and metro card are together) through Mail and Ride too.

Congrats on the job!!!