Commuting time

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JXG, Sep 28, 2016.

1. JXG

JXG Rookie

Sep 28, 2016

Hey!!
    I just wanted your opinion on commuting times. So, right now, I'm currently at a job where I commute about a half hour (with traffic) from home. How long of a commute is too long for you? Should I look at a town where it is about an hour commute going and coming?

**The reason I ask is that I want to leave the place where I am now, (hence why it is on the job seekers page). Like, would you have a job where it's a half hour away, but bad organization or an hour away but good organization?

3. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Sep 28, 2016

For me personally I would have a hard time doing the hour long commute thing. During student teaching I was placed at a school that was on the absolute outer limit of how far away we could be from my university. It was, with traffic, a solid 55 minute drive.

I loved everything about my student teaching placement- I love the school, the kids, and my cooperating teacher. But I will say that the drive almost killed me. I was even lucky enough to be able to carpool with a classmate who was also placed there. But we had to leave by 6 am (school started at 7:15) and that was rough for me as I am so not a morning person. Towards the end whichever one of us wasn't driving would almost always fall asleep in the passenger seat. I really need an above average amount of sleep to feel my best, so for me I would prioritize a moderate commute unless the school was awful.

That being said, I would probably be okay with half an hour but no more.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 28, 2016

I like my 20-30 min commute. Give me some "me" time.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2016

I've been spoiled by a commute of less than 10 minutes for the past 12 years or so. If I ever chose to leave where I am, there are a couple of administrators who are so fabulous that I would consider a much longer commute to work for them again. I'm at a different point in my life now, however, my kids are grown and I'm on my own, so what time I arrive home isn't as important.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 28, 2016

I commuted an hour each way to work at an outstanding school with great admin and lots of opportunities for four years.

7. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 29, 2016

I think it depends on your personal preference. My first teaching job I commuted up a mountain pass that was not only dangerous, but 45-minutes to an hour long depending on traffic. After a few months I found an apartment close to my school--it was one of the best places I have worked.

I'm not a commuter, but if you don't mind it than go for it.

8. JXG

JXG Rookie

Sep 29, 2016

Awesome advice! Thank you so much. I'm just having so much trouble with the current school that I'm in, that I want to resign ASAP. I've been applying to different places and I even got an interview for this upcoming Monday.

9. JXG

JXG Rookie

Sep 29, 2016

Oohh yes they are. It also takes me about 30 mins from West New York to Newark in traffic...and that's if I leave early since school starts at 8am at this charter school.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 29, 2016

I do an hour commute each way and this is my 8th year doing it. I'm hoping to transfer closer to home next year, but the hour was worth it to work at a school I love.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Oct 1, 2016

At first I wouldn't mind an hour commute, but my long term loan is to be less than an hour to work. So if that means I need to move for a great job I would. I currently have that flexibility and I did do that for my latest position.