Commuting distance

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jamoehope, May 23, 2008.

1. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

May 23, 2008

Hello,

I am considering taking a Special Education Resource job that is about 50 miles from where I live (drive is 45 minutes because it is an easy drive).

I'm going to be a new teacher and this school is the only one so far that was seriously interested in hiring me. I don't want to let this school go to find something closer if I can't find anything at all.

I need to work so I can continue going to school for my full credential and because I need the money, but I worry about the commute's toll on me. The Human Resources Director told me that other people commute from our area to this school district and there would probably be people willing to carpool with me.

My question to any of you is how far would you be willing to commute to work? Especially with the cost of gas rising? :(

Thank you,
    Jamie

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 23, 2008

That's great that you have a position lined up so early! Congrats!

Personally, I'm spoiled with a 5 minute commute this year. Next year I'll have to commute farther (I'm relocating). The most I'll agree to is 15-20 minutes. Many people say a commute before and after work is good for you to clear your head, think of lesson plans and ideas, etc. I think you need to decide what will work best for you. Some people can stand an hour commute. I know I couldn't. Good luck with everything!

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 23, 2008

A lot of the teachers I work with commute 45 minutes to an hour.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

I guess at this point, a bird in the hand is worth more than the two that you can't see in the bush... or however that goes.

I struggled with long commutes, and the gas was hard, but the wear and tear on my body was the worse.

The only thing that helped me keep my sanity was a good collection of CDs. I tell you, if I didn't have my music, I would be a total basket case by now.

I didn't like driving in bad weather either. I would be praying for snow days. I wish I had a garage! That takes so much time, cleaning off your car all winter long.

If you have a good, relative new car...you are good. Anything else is too much of a hassle. I can't stand the feeling of having my car not start, and not knowing why..or worse...how I will get home, and how much it's gonna cost to fix it.

It becomes too easy to multi-task. You know, talking, eating, driving, reading :eek: while driving! Eating junks up your car, and increases your waistline...and is bad for digestion. But if I didn't have a snack or something to drink, I get edgy, and sometimes drift off when I am tired. :|

best thing I can suggest....have at least two other routes...because things will go wrong, and you don't want to find shortcuts or get lost going home or getting to work. Especially in bad weather or after dark.

carpooling sounds nice...but have a plan B...park close by..if you have errands or need some sanity of driving the last leg of the trip alone.

good luck!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2008

I have always commuted to my jobs. This year its looking like I'll be making no more than a 20 minute drive, not too bad. If I get a job in my DD, then any school will be no more than 10 minutes.

7. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

May 23, 2008

Have you driven it during "rush hour" or during the times you'll be driving it? My school is a similar amount of miles away, and on a very, very good lucky day, it will take me an hour. The rest of the time, it takes me an hour and 15 minutes to 2 hours each way! (Depending on weather and traffic).

I would try to find a school closer, but if you get an offer from this school, and it's a school and position you're interested in, I would probably take it. As of right now, my daily communte costs less than $15, which is a lot, but you're making much more than that each day.

I have XM Radio, so this really helps with the commute!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

see, another music fan...music soothes the savage beast...and road rage...

I would see positive aspects...finding new malls,unique stores, new friends.. possible communities for relocating, etc.

If I can get to bank, grocery store, post office...I am ok. Don't like driving out in the middle of nowhere or the sticks, or packed like sardines in downtown rush hour.

9. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

May 23, 2008

I commuted 45 minutes last year and HATED it, but that's because I had an old, unreliable car. I missed work a few times because my car broke down, and then I drove my coworkers absolutely crazy asking them to come out of their way to pick me up. It wasn't worth it for me, but if your car is reliable, it might be.

Good luck!

10. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

May 23, 2008

Thank you for the responses. I used to drive a 15-20 minute commute to my instructional aide job, and I was content with that drive, not wanting much more. Now that it is time to work as an actual teacher, I'm feeling unsure. I suppose that for now, as Master Pre-K said, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush... I need a job.

I would consider relocating if this school wasn't rural, lacking the sorts of suburban things I enjoy such as parks and malls and diverse restaurants, and far away from the Monterey Bay area where I currently live and love living in.

Also, there is a bus that runs down to the school from the Monterey Bay area, but the bus arrives there about two hours early before school and then it leaves about three hours after school gets out. If that bus had better hours, I would consider taking it!

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 23, 2008

I am lucky in that I commute less than five minutes. There is also a large outdoors shopping center behind my school. I can see JcPenney and Target from my window! Everything I need is only minutes away. However, I was willing to drive up to 45 minutes when I began searching. However, most areas within a 45 radius of me, would have all the must haves for me, and would have been an easy move for me.

I commuted 30 minutes for my summer job, it was an easy drive---no freeways---and found it was great for detoxing in the evening and gearing up for the day in the morning.

12. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

May 23, 2008

Jamie, I think we're in the same boat. I currently have a house that I love in a community where there are nice suburban amenities. However, I took a job that will be about a 45 minute drive from my house. The drive isn't bad and there shouldn't be much traffic, as this is quite a rural school.

Since I haven't starting driving this route on a daily basis, I can't offer much feedback there, but I have driven there several times now and haven't hated the drive. For me, at least, a horrible commute would be getting stuck in traffic, not necessarily a long drive.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone! Perhaps we'll be on here in the fall complaining about out 45-minute drives. :unsure:

~Briana~

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

I agree. A bad car and a long commute is a recipe for disaster. AAA told me I only get 3 tows per year, and stopped coming! I ended up paying for six tows one year. Allstate motor club cancelled me after 2nd call.

driving to work becomes work in that case!

14. Proteus

Proteus Rookie

May 23, 2008

I take the train, which makes my commute, door-to-door, over two hours. I've been doing this since January, when we bought our house.

And this is why I'm looking for a new job.

But, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

On the train, I can do reading, writing, planning, and grading of every kind. Not only do I never take a shred of work home, I get a lot of my own recreational/side career writing done. It really works, and in the end, I might just call off my job search.

But if car was my only choice? 45 minutes would have to be my ceiling.

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 23, 2008

My commute is going to be 25 - 30 min at most. I wanted it to be closer but as an ACP candidate I couldn't give myself the leisure of being picky. One thing that is going to work for me is that I will be going against traffic so my drive back & forth will be pretty easy.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2008

I drive about 15 miles to school, which is about 15-25 minutes depending on the traffic. For me, this is a good amount of time because it lets me sort of decompress at the end of the day...I get to listen to my favorite songs on the drive home, and that helps clear my head a little before I get home, which is crucial for me, especially when I've had a rocky day.

If you're traveling 50 miles to school, you do need to think about the price of gasoline (as you mentioned). Depending on your vehicle, 50 miles is very likely going to burn up at least a gallon of gas, and more likely two gallons--one way. So you're looking at between 2-4 gallons per day, which is $8-16 at the current prices. You'll spend $40-80 per week, $160-320 per month, and around $1,500-3,000 per school year. Will your salary permit you to spend that much in gasoline?

It's something to think about.

17. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 23, 2008

One has to consider California traffic

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

how interesting! the train is the normal choice for downtown workers in corporate jobs. However, there are schools and child care centers downtown, and I would consider again..except that it makes it hard for grad classes.. and if you stay a minute over, you are stuck with the train schedule..which can be 30 min to 1 hr. after 4pm

I hate it when the trains are really crowded, and there are no seats. and sometimes, I can sleep on the way in...but not when you ahve a pair of chatty neighbors next to you. Most people read. Some eat. If I drift off to sleep coming home, I could miss my stop!

again..I being able to do necessary errands..bank/store/post office, makes the difference for me. If I can do these things before work, at lunch time or after, I am ok. I don't like working 9-6. that kills the entire day! I don't want to be on any job at 6pm again. that is just so unfair...I know somebody has to do it...but it won't be me! I could have a part time job starting at 6, or in grad school.

what I absolutely hated was freeway to freeway/expressway driving! Bumper to bumper, helicopters flying over, no end in site, 105 degrees in the shade, or slipperly, icy roads with salt trucks sliding nearby. that is a commuter nightmare. and insults with injury when you take toll road! Most people prepay with little laser code readers in their windows, and take express lane. I hate pulling over to cash lane, stopping just to pay .60 and then get back in traffic!

I wonder how much those folks get for sitting in the toll both collecting money all day! :confused:

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

My current commute is 45 minutes, and its mostly highway so I don't mind it. My first job was a little over an hour and it was part highway, part country roads. It was odd seeing the cows everywhere I turned...hehe.

Oh, and I'm another music lover with my commute. I often use my wireless transmitter to listen to my Ipod on shuffle. Its great!

Gas prices suck, but I have a 2005 Altima, so at least its reliable and gets good mileage. I hit a bit of traffic sometimes at the tail end of my commute as I reach the good ol' state capitol area. But I miss it on the way home, which is great!

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 23, 2008

jamoehope-I notice you are from the Monterey area. The weather should be fine (no snow!), so that will make for a smoother commute for you. I'm up in the Bay area, and I'll be doing 45-55 minutes. I'm not worried. Stock up on audio books from the library and leave a bit early to deal with traffic.

My father-in-law works for a school in Salinas, if you want me to pass your resume on. It's a juvenile detention school, but it could be interesting if you're looking at spec ed, and he loves it. I think he's the one that hires, actually. PM me if you're interested.

21. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

May 23, 2008

I'll know soon if the drive is difficult from Monterey to the area I'm heading, but the two times I've headed there, it's been fine. Because it's going south of Monterey (going north is usually far worse for traffic) I doubt the drive will be difficult.

I mostly worry about price of gas and being tired from driving more than I would if the school were closer to home. I agree with many of you, though, driving usually gives me time to think or relax, and it would be nice to listen to audiobooks on the drive. I'm jealous of Proteus's train schedule. If this bus only left a little later from home and earlier from the school, I would take it! Oh well.

I have considered the price of gas (and the wear on my car, which so far is in good shape) in the salary, and I figured out the cost to be a little more than $1500. I hope I can find people to carpool with to cut that cost down.

Thank you for all your advice and thoughts!

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 24, 2008

you're welcomed..

just remember, a drive is only nice, if it's a nice drive..

:)

23. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 24, 2008

I currently drive a bit under 30 minutes and it doesn't bother me at all. I like the part that it's the same amount of time every day, traffic is not an issue as I'm never on a major road. It literally varies between 26 and 28 minutes per day, never any different. I'm a LTS so I'm looking for a new placement for next year and am considering anything within 45 minutes. I'd prefer nothing over 35, but here in PA I really can't be too picky and if I expand my 35 minute limit to 45 I probably include 5-8 additional school districts.

I think it has a lot to do with the type of drive it is. A 30 minute drive without traffic is VERY different from a 35 minute one when you have to worry about other drivers a lot. My husband has the drive into the city and his commute is much more unpredictable than mine is. I would not like his drive at all even though most days it's only 5 minutes or so more than mine.

24. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

May 24, 2008

i used to drive 35 min. each way to school. when i reached the point where i wanted my car to turn into a helicopter :), i knew it was time to move. now i drive about 20 min. & it's wonderful!! :) i love getting home faster to begin unwinding and relaxing.

i would, however, accept another position at a school up to 45 min. away. this is b/c the job market here basically stinks - & i'm willing to "stretch" for a great school. but my hubby & i would eventually move again to get closer. there's definitely something to be said for living close to your school!!!

Meri

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 25, 2008

I live 10 minutes from school (if I hit all of the lights wrong!). The other bonus is that, on my way home, I drive past: 2 malls, 3 grocery stores, Costco, 3 dollar stores, Chapters, 5 gas stations and the bank machine. I can do most of my errands on the way home, without going out of my way.

26. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 25, 2008

My commute is 45 minutes to an hour and I don't really like it. Honestly, the drive itself isn't bad, it's knowing that I'm "wasting" gas that kills me. If gas was back at $2.50 a gallon I wouldn't mind as much. I listen to good music or NPR (National Public Radio).

If I had XM radio (like another poster has) I'd be in heaven :) I DO have a Sirrius (spelling? It's like XM, just different brand) satellite tuner I got for my birthday ages ago but I never got around to taking it somewhere to have it installed.

27. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 25, 2008

MrsC makes another good point...if you drive past your typical errand spots it can make your day easier. I drive past NOTHING useful on my way home. If I have to run errands after school I have to either drive past my house on the way home, or drive away from my home after school.

I didn't mention this in my last post, but I've been trying to convince my boyfriend to move closer to my school :) He thinks my commute is easy but I'm trying to convince him that gas will hit $5 soon enough :eek:

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 26, 2008

29. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

May 26, 2008

I can't speak about a teaching position, but I can tell you my current job is 40miles from my house...all highways (read traffic). It kills me. I'm exhausted by the time I get home. And though I have an '06 Accord, I go through 1 1/2 to two tanks of gas every week. At $45.00 a tank, it's getting pricey!

30. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

May 27, 2008

For the one year position I am at now, I am commuting 80 miles each way. The gas is killing me. But it was either that or sub for another year, so I really didn't have much choice with our limited job market here.

Now I am searching for a new position this year, and I prepared to move within the state if I need to so my commute isn't so horrible.

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 27, 2008

wouldn't it be nice if they made carpool lanes/bus only lanes here in Chicago like they have in L.A.?? It would make expressway traffic a lot less of a hassle!!

32. weno88

weno88 Companion

May 27, 2008

My commute is 30 minutes each way, and I would never go over that! When I listened to my iPod (my iTrip broke.. I have GOT to get a new one!) it wasn't as bad. I tend to practice my Spanish on the way to school now. Waking up early is the hardest part for me. I have to be up at 6 and out the door by 7 to get to school for cafeteria duty on time.

33. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

May 27, 2008

I'm actually downstate right now, but I'm trying very hard to get back up to Chicago. I'm really surprised that they haven't implemented something like this. Most my family is in the suburbs, but the competition for elementary ed positions is horrid. I just added some middle school endorsements to see if that will help.

At this point, I'm ready to move anywhere in the state with potential for more than a one-year position. I just don't want to have to commute far if I'm using my own vehicle.

I took the easy access to public transportation for granted when I was up there. It's nonexistent here.

34. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 27, 2008

My new school is located 25 miles from my home, with a commute time of 25-30 minutes (all freeway, and going against the traffic, thank goodness). I do worry about the price of gas, but I get a bilingual stipend which will cover gas and waer & tear. I enjoy driving, and love books on tape, so this will be a nice time for me to have to myself. (I'm trying to remain positive here, folks!)

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2008

I am seriously considering driving half way, getting a monthly bus pass and riding bus the rest of the way. People drive crazy, cut you off, drive slow, talk to people! Traffic is one thing, people hanging out, running out in the street, making bus stop in front of you, that is altogether different. I might as well be on the bus, probably get home faster! :(

36. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 1, 2008

Well, There are carpool lanes in california but then there are 1000's of cars in them. . .I will be interviewing at schools about 30 miles away but during rush hour it could take me an hour and a half each way!!! I need interview practice!

I need to be close to home!

Stephanie

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2008

I feel for you steph...

lived thru that madness and was really content making less working closer to home...

driving to a job is a job..

on that note..'night everyone!!

38. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2008

I work about 15 miles/20-25 minutes away from school. While I don't mind the drive time or distance, I am really starting to get fed up and worried about these gas prices.

My husband filled up the tank on my car today and it was $47! I DRIVE A HONDA CIVIC! :( I don't know if we can afford to live anyplace except directly across the street from school.

39. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jun 1, 2008

I was offered a position after graduating from college. It was about a 35 minute drive, and I was hesitant at first, but took the job because I knew how lucky I was to find a job directly out of college.

After an entire year of the commute, I ended up appreciating that time! I'm not much of a morning person, and this gave me some time to wake up and get ready for the kids. It also gave me time to reflect on the day on the drive home.

This year, I taught in a different district, which was a forty minute commute. Now I don't know what I would do without that "refelction" time!

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 2, 2008

If I get a job on the other side of town (which is pretty much the only places that are interviewing me) we'll probably move to another, closer apartment so I can buy a scooter and commute on that.