Commute for subs

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by uncleal, Oct 4, 2011.

1. uncleal

uncleal Rookie

Oct 4, 2011

How long is too long for a commute? I sub for several districts all within one hour and I just got an invite to sub at districts 1.5 hours away. I know beggars can't be choosers but how far is too far?

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 4, 2011

No one can answer that except you. To me, it's not worth subbing 1/5 hours away for $100 (per day), when I probably can have a job 10 minutes away from me locally. No fighiting freeway traffic, not far away from home, etc. I think the only thing that would propel me is in the unlikely event that district was potentially hiring (in my area).
    It's up to you though.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 4, 2011

Are you being called by the districts that are closer? If not, I suppose a job far away is better than no job at all but that makes for an expensive commute so your net won't be as much as your budget may require.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2011

Last year for a long term substitute job I drove one hour and fifteen minutes each way for about eight weeks (and it was awful!), but I wouldn't go over 30 minutes each way for daily subbing.

6. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 4, 2011

It depends on how often you are called by the districts closer to you and if it is just day-to-day subbing or a long-term. You might want to sign up and just see how it goes. You can decide if it is too far and just not go to that district all the time.

7. Vince

Vince Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

1.5 hours is too much in my opinion. I was driving about 45 mins, 80 miles RT before moving to the district I sub in. Now I drive no more than 8 miles to the furthest school, and boy is it nice!

One thing to think about is for those jobs, will they really be calling you unless it is known in advance? Often times I get a job on the Aesop 30 mins before I have to be there. Usually longer, but even occasionally less time!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2011

I can sub at a good several districts in my area that are 35 min away or less, so I'd never drive 45+ min for subbing. The further away the school, the less often I'd sub for them (unless I was really hurting for money). Forty-five min for a good pemanent job, then yes.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

For me an hour and a half one way is too much of a drive. If there were any possible way to avoid such a long commute, I'd find a way. I suppose, though, that if driving that far meant having a job when I otherwise wouldn't, I'd find a way to manage. Still....It wouldn't be my first choice (or even in my top ten).