Community-Themed Read Alouds

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by clr2785, Jul 15, 2008.

1. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I'm looking for read alouds (both picture and chapter books) that stress the importance of community. Can anyone think of any? Thanks so much!

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I made this list last year. Thanks for reminding me. :)

COMMUNITY BUILDING LITERATURE

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
    First Day Jitters (even teachers get jitters too!)
    Wemberly Worried (it’s okay to feel worried, making friends)

TEAMWORK/FRIENDSHIP
    Swimmy (Being a good leader and working together as a team is the only way to get things done, *make a big fish mural)
    The Giving Tree (Giving, friendship)
    The Keeping Quilt (little pieces of people’s lives were brought together in the quilt to remember their past, *making a classroom quilt to bring together our community)
    The Crayon Box That Talked (Appreciating differences, working together as a team, *making a class crayon box)
    The Best Bug to Be (Being the best you can be at whatever you do)
    How the Butterbees Came To Be (Accepting differences, character traits, *Caught Beeing Good program)

DIFFERENCES
    Chrysanthemum (appreciating uniqueness in others, *name studies in math and language)
    Hooway For Wodney Wat (standing up for yourself)
    Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon (being proud of who you are)
    Big Al (being a good friend on the inside is what’s important)
    I Like Me (liking yourself inside and out, *multicultural self portraits)
    It’s Okay to Be Different (accepting differences in yourself and others)

FEELINGS
    How Are You Peeling? (different emotions)
    The Way I Feel (it’s okay to have many different feelings, *peace island)
    Sometimes I’m Bombaloo (it’s okay to get angry, taking control of your anger)

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I don't know what to do this year because last year I read almost all of these to my first graders! And I did practically all of my back to school ideas.... man!

5. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks! Those are great.
    Can anyone think of any books that show a community working together or coming together to accomplish a goal? We're starting off the year with a social studies unit about communities and I want a read aloud that corresponds.

6. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I'm not sure if any of these would work. But, if you go to the last page of this pdf file for NYS, you will get a list of trade books for grade 2 social studies. http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/ciai/socst/pub/ssisr2.pdf

7. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jul 16, 2008

A book entitled westlandria or westlandia about a group of children who make a community together

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 18, 2008

Don't have a list right now at home, but go to booksource.com where they have genres categorized. Their prices are on the high side but you can get ideas about what you want & order elsewhere.

9. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

The book Miss Daisy is Crazy is an excellent book that second graders love at the beginning of the year. It's about a boy that hates school (*gasp!*) and wants to turn the school into a video arcade. His classmates want to buy the school, and the principal agrees to rent the school to them for one night at the cost of one million minutes (of reading). They get the whole school involved, and bring in their game systems and board games for one night of fun. (OK, that's a REALLY rough summary, but you get the idea.)

Another excellent book on differences is Oliver Button is a Sissy, by Tomie DePaola. It's about a boy who tap dances in a talent show, and gets teased for doing something "girly." I make a paper doll of "Oliver", and after reading the book, we have a class discussion of some hurtful names that people call each other. With each one, I tear the doll just a bit. We then talk about ways that we can fix those hurtful names, and I tape him back up. He's fixed on the outside, but the memory of those hurtful names is still there on the inside. It's a powerful lesson on the effect of bullying and namecalling.

(This lesson is not my own. It is adapted from the video Oliver Button is a Star, produced by the Twin Cities Gay Men's Chorus. They sang and staged a musical version of Oliver Button is a Sissy, with Tomie DePaola narrating his own semi-autobiographical story. In addition, they created an entire curriculum to go along with the story and concert.)

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

I love your Oliver Button is a Sissy idea! Cute!

11. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

Lysander,
    I went and bought Oliver Button and Miss Daisy on Amazon. They had them used for a penny. Have you read any of the other books in the series of Miss Daisy?

12. annafish

annafish Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I love all those books!

City Green is a really cute book about neighbors working together to create a garden. Of course this can be used with Science too, a great intro to a plant unit.

13. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

14. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Sep 7, 2009

great resource