Community supplies

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TexFW1, Aug 1, 2013.

1. TexFW1

TexFW1 Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

How do you handle supplies at tables? Do you use individual boxes or community boxes? If you use community supplies how do you set it up

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

I've always done community supplies-it's so much less time-consuming than having them get their own out every time you do an activity. I get those caddies-one for each table and just keep pencils, crayons, scissors and glue sticks in it. I just put out enough for the number of kids at the table and replenish as they need them.

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

I only put crayons and Pencils in my table baskets. I have 4 kids at each table, but have enough stuff for at least 6 kids. This way if a pencil or crayon breaks there are extras. I also replenish as needed.

The scissors and glue sticks are kept in the art center in bins. That is where we use them the most. We don't use glue sticks/scissors at our tables on a daily basis and it is just something extra for them to play with. When I do know that we will be using them during whole group time, I add them to the table baskets before school starts and have the kids return them to the art center when they are finished.

5. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 1, 2013

We have always had to provide the kids with individual pencil boxes stocked with pencil, crayons, glue stick. We labeled each item and we worked on learning responsibility for our own stuff. Our students have their own desks. However, last year we had problems with this. The church kids would not stay out of the students desks. They broke crayons, ruined glue sticks and destroyed number cards. In a search for a solution to this, I am planning to make the pencil boxes up all the same (color and contents) and not label them. We are going to keep them on a shelf by my desk and hope to pass them our once a day and keep them on their desks. Seat sacks did not work either. I have never had community supplies, so this should be interesting. :lol: