Community supplies- ok in my classroom, NOT OK with my own child, please help me with

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ponypal, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

Sending some of that cowbell your way dave!:cool:

2. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

Time does have to "do" with it.

Lets say you have filled out your graduation papers for college in March, you graduate in May you used Blue ink (nowhere on the paper does it say use Black ink) One week before you are to walk at the Field house, with your whole family coming to see you, Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, (I am painting a picture here) you get a letter saying you have to re do ALL the paperwork in Black ink (find all the professors, go to all the departments, get signatures and turn in the papers, again) Now this is an extream example but you can see where I am going with this. Time does count.

Maybe I am just old
    :confused: :toofunny: :confused:

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

Pony I think it is time to put this one to bed
    I think you are right and
    since I am a
    "know it all", "Old", "about to retire", "double dipping", "in it just for the money"
    teacher My opinion counts.
    :rofl: :toofunny: :2up: :party: :clap: :clap: :party: :2up: :toofunny: :rofl:

4. MrsBinTX

MrsBinTX Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

too much is too much

Certainly this classroom procedure was meant with the BEST intentions. There is no reason to "threaten" anyone with the law. This teacher has made a decision which she thinks is best, and you as an advocate for your child think it might not work so well for your child. (We have all been on both sides of this issue.) Just talk to her. Be nice. We have all had a parent disagree with us. We all make concessions for our kids. This would be a great opportunity for you to work with her. Treat her the way you would want to be treated. Certainly, you have a great point about the "lefty" issue, but we can present it to her with respect. An absolute refusal to compromise just on priciple will not help your relationship with this teacher, and it is not what is best for your child.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 12, 2007

That's what I was going to say too. Responsibilities at home, in my opinion are different from school or work responsibilities. Schools are communities and we hopefully are teaching the kids work together. I am not an irresponsible person, but I have had to borrow a stapler or tape from a neighboring teacher because I couldn't locate mine.

I work in a low SES school and I take the supplies from the parents who bring them and supply the rest myself. They aren't supplying for the whole class. I really don't see the big deal in Johnny using a glue stick that Sarah brought instead of havig to take the time to dig around an find his particular glue stick. By the way, in the lower grades they really don't know the difference in the kind of supplies their parents buy.

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I know in some districts (in some states) it is against policy (against the law) to have Community supplies from students.

7. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I absolutely agree with the first part of this statement. All students should share the school’s materials – it should be equal access to all. The reason why I brought up warts is because of a situation last year – a boy in grade 2 had warts all over his hands. Other students began to avoid him – it was not right, and I think they were probably reflecting what they were hearing from home.

Kids learn so much from home – how to be responsible, organized, share, be kind . . . we try our best to teach character in the classroom, but I think that the majority is learnt from home. The classroom, then, should be a safe place for all students. I admire elementary teachers for juggling everything they do in the run of a day!!

I do worry about sharing everything however . . . I know that I would be hesitant to share with someone who {may not have the same respect for material things} as I do. I think that it is a fairly human response. Computers, library books, basketballs, classroom games – those are all things that are fairly easy to share. Some things to me seem a bit more personal . . . but maybe that’s why I teach in the older classrooms!!

I do want to quickly respond to this . . .

Yep, I do!! My September mainly consists of reviewing procedures and expectations – and this is a grade 7/8 spilt. And I have lots of students who still don’t know how to write down their homework, hand in crumpled, ripped out pages from a coiled scribbler for final assignments, forget to wash hands after using the washroom, burp and fart during lunch . . . ah, fun times.

Though I will say this – I think the grade one/K teacher is a special person . . . she/he sets the tone for a student’s entire career. God bless all grade 1 teachers :angel: :haha: :angel:

Not that grade 2, 3 , 4 teachers aren’t awesome too!!!

Pony - best of luck with the situation in your child's classroom. After reading through all the posts - a very interesting discussion!! - points can be made for both sides. I have the feeling that you'll have to tip-toe around it, but you need to do what is best for your daughter. If nothing else, maybe the teacher will rephrase the supply list that goes out at the end of the year, so that parents will know whether their kids will have their own supplies or a community pot. Not the best situation for you, but maybe a cloud with a silver lining???

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

At least in my school, teachers don't get their class lists until they return from summer break. There is no way they could give warning of this policy in June to the specific kids that they'd have in their classes the following year. Unless, of course, this is a whole-grade level policy, and then THAT certainly should have been communicated at the end of the previous year to those kids who would be moving up.

I also have to say this: being both a teacher and a parent is really, really hard. There are certain ways I do things in my classroom, and to me, these are the right ways to do things, withougt any changes. It's hard to be flexible and accepting of another teacher's policies if they are very different from yours, and, fortunately for me, I haven't had to do so yet, at least not in a big way.
    Kim

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2007

I assume everything will be community supplies for my children in lower Elementary. I do think they should announce that it will be community supplies in the school supply list. I've never seen it done. With the bigger schools I can see why because not every teacher follows the same classroom management procedures. As for the little schools, they don't really have an excuse. I guess they've just never thought of it.

As for it creating entittlement, then what happens when a student can't find a pencil. In some way, shape or form we give it to them. So in the end they are still given that supply whether they kept up with it or not. The teacher is also not going to punish the kid if the parent refuses to resupply that item in the middle of the year. It's all the same thing.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

Personally, I would keep anything that your daughter picked out a special, a folder with a character she likes for example, at home until she needs it. If you want to contribute to the class, then buy some cheap clearance stuff for the community supplies, and buy the good stuff for your daughter to use. Explain to the teacher that you don't mind pitching in for kids who need it or forget supplies, but that the supplies in your daughter's bag are HERS.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

And one final note: One of our K teachers does community supplies, and one doesn't. In this county, the norm is to do community supplies for PK and K and switch to individual supplies in first grade, when the kids actually get desks to store their things. (Personally, I can't imagine the confusion, noise and time spent gathering things from cubbies each time they're needed in a situation where the students don't have individual desks). The teacher who does community supplies also taught summer school. In summer school, ALL supplies are paid for by the district, therefore, they are all community. She said she could tell who had come from a classroom where they'd used individual supplies v/s community supplies when she was distributing materials (she had 12 kids total, and 3 parents reported that their kids had pencil boxes at their home school)...the guys used to having their own stuff all the time hoarded the crayons, gathering every color that he/she could possibly need for the drawing, and the others chose one color at a time to use. The guys used to individual supplies would refuse to use a pencil that was short or a crayon that didn't have a sharp point, but the guys used to community supplies just found a better one in the bin. She swears that using community supplies forces kids to become more independent because they always know where the materials are within the room, and they can get them as they need them, versus running out of glue in your pencil box and not being able to finish the project. She says they are better at sharing, better at solving problems they run into while they are working, and aren't as territorial.

Just her opinions. After talking to her about this topic last week, when I saw it pop up on her, I asked her to read this thread, and that's what she had to say.

Kim

12. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

As other teachers have already stated, at my school, individual teachers do not send out their own supply lists.... my principal does. I won't be getting my class list until tomorrow, school starts next Monday. How would it be possible for me to contact my students and let them know about my community supply rule at the start of summer vacation? Some teachers may choose to have community supplies in their rooms, while others won't. Therefor, the principal's supply list must be general.

Just a side note, I will have community supplies in my 2nd grade class, but instead of using their supplies, I've provided the pencils, crayons, markers, glue, ect. for my students. Though truth be told, I still don't know what I'm going to have them do with their individual supplies just yet.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

IrishDave, I think you missed my point.
    This teacher has sent her list before school started. No, it was not sent in June for parents to shop early, but mabye this teacher did not have that option?!
    At my school, lists are not given out until the week before school starts. I have NO way of communicating with my class until then. Perhaps the same is true for this teacher?

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2007

Wow, what a discussion. I have just spent the last 1/2 hour trying to figure out the points of this discussion. Yes there are two sides to this issu, and I don't see people coming together on this.

That said, my kids have never had community supplies but if they did I would also have an issue for it. I buy the stuff I buy for my kids, not for someone elses, I take into consideration my kids needs, their desires and what would make school easier for them. If asked, I have and will do again, I will buy supplies for the whole class like tissues, etc. The point is parents need to be informed early enough to do that.

I will have a pencil supply for students, I will have pencils available to my middle schools students, it is a classroom management issue for me. I cannot afford to spend 15 min of every class while students find, borrow or buy a pencil. That said, I will be making it hard for them, no bucket of never ending supply to grab out of.

I think this is an issue we all need to see more than one side, we need to find a way to make it work.....I see how people are getting a bit riled up about this, and I hope we can all agree to disagree.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2007

I've had community supplies and individual supplies.

With the community supplies, I was at a low ses school and I had tables. I supplied the crayons, markers, and colored pencils. At the end of the year, the community supplies were in better shape than the individual supplies were but through the year, I heard kids tell each other to take care of the supplies. They had immense pride in keeping their things nice.

I am at another low ses school and have desks. If a child does not have supplies, either I donate them or the local PTA or church group donates them. When the child who gets donated materials mistreats them, I do not replace them.

16. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I am sure this won't go over well, but it sounds to me as if Ponypal had it out for this teacher and the supply issue is just the tip of the iceberg. Ponypal was disappointed in this teacher even before she got the supply list. For the sake of your daughter let the issue rest and don't confront the teacher until you have seen the plan in action. It could be everything works out fine. Give the teacher a fair chance.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 12, 2007

I am surprised that in some areas the school supply lists for the fall term go out at the end of the spring semester! In this area, every public school from pre-K to 8 has grade-specific supply lists. These lists are posted (with copies for parents to grab) in WalMart, Office Depot, Office Max, Kmart, etc. (in other words, in the places where parents would logically go to purchase the supplies). When are they posted? They are posted anywhere between the last week in July and the first week in August. NO ONE has access to them ahead of time (unless you are a teacher looking for the supplies for your grade in your school). Each school has different lists, and each grade is different as well. The only griping by parents that I know of is the old standard "the supplies cost too much," and "what do they need THAT for?" This area has more than its share of low SES schools, and one of the television stations in town has an annual school supply drive to help offset some of the supplies that do not come in.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2007

I think we've covered every possible angle on this topic. Let's drop it for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.