Community Service Projects

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by WaterfallLady, Aug 13, 2008.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

I would like to engage my 7th-12th grade self-contained special ed class in a service project, either in relation to their language arts class (maybe writing letters) or life skills class.

Does anyone have any idea of a service project that I can do in my classroom with them? Thanks.

3. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

I did a very cool pen pal project with the clowns from the red unit of Barnum and Bailey Circus. I went to their website, got their address and asked if they would write back to my kids. They did better than that...they sent postcards on a regular basis and autographed pictures. Kids loved it!

As far as service project, maybe they could offer to wash aprons, mits, towels etc. for the cafeteria. Or make slice & bake cookies to sell in the morning and donate the procedes to an organization....like a food bank. I think the food bank would probably let you come visit as a field trip/CBI too.

4. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

A simple activity they could do is make cat nip toys for a local animal shelter. The students could deliver them during one of their CBI trips! All you need are lots of socks, catnip, and polyester fiberfill. :) http://www.operationhappysock.com/

Of course you could always make cards for the troops in Iraq. I'm sure there is an employee at your school that has a son/daughter/husband/wife that is overseas that could give you an address.

5. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

What a great project! I e-mailed for the info packet and got it within the hour. I'm definitely going to do this with my guys this year. Thanks!

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

www.anysoldier.com is a great site to find connections with active duty soldiers.

You can get some of the things they request (toiletries, magazines, etc) on a CBI and follow up the CBI with a writing activity to write letters to the soldiers.

7. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

I love this idea. Thank you!

8. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 14, 2008