Community Hours

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TeacherSandra, Oct 8, 2009.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2009

Does your high school require or encourage that the high school students complete community hours?

Whether it's required or not...I think it's a fabulous idea. The thought of giving our time and getting out of our comfort zone is a real plus!
    :love:

3. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Oct 8, 2009

I work at a charter school and one of our requirements from our students is the idea of social justice and giving back to the community.

Its fantastic for our students....They gain a much clearer picture of how the world works

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2009

In Ontario, our high school students need 40 hours of community service in order to graduate--not a huge amount, but it's a start.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2009

So, I supposed that students are given forms that must be signed and confirmed of service given, right?
    What is on that form?

Notice here ;) Thank you!

6. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 9, 2009

In Ontario, they have to sign forms that say the number of hours and where they have done them and they need the volunteer organizers' signature.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2009

ok; that makes sense, CanukTeacher. Thank you. :love:

8. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Oct 17, 2009

I require my 8th graders to do 1 hour/ quarter... All our local high schools require 100 hours in order to graduate!

9. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

At our high school we require that our students have 55 hours of community service before graduation. We have a community service coordinator that sets up a lot the volunteer opportunities our kids take part in. There's a lot of variety, too. From helping out at the food bank to helping with track and field days at local elementary schools. This year there is even an opportunity to volunteer at the Santa Claus Parade. The kids seem to enjoy it and I think that having a community services coordinator makes it easy for the kids.

10. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Oct 18, 2009

Our Civics/Social Studies & English classes for freshmen require community service as a project grade. The kids have to report back to the class and do a presentation about their project. They incorporate it into both of the classes.
    It's quite involve but by requiring it as a freshman maybe they will continue through highschool. Wish I knew more about the requirements.
    But what a great project!

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

Mine does not, but a lot of the schools up here do. I love the idea myself. Not sure how I would have felt about it as a high school student though.

12. Braves09

Braves09 Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

My school required 20 hours for graduation. While in principle it is a good idea, isn't the point of community service to do it out of the good of your heart (not because it's required)?