Community Helpers- Fiction Books

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, May 11, 2013.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

May 11, 2013

I'm gearing up to do my community helpers unit next week. We're going to focus on community helpers for 2 weeks. My students will be creating a "When I grow up..." project which they will be sharing at graduation. Anyways, I want to make sure my students are exposed to different kinds of books about a variety of occupations. I have quite a few nonfiction texts about community helpers but I also want to incorporate fiction. What fiction books do you use during your community helpers unit? I've done a lot of research online & everything references nonfiction texts...

If you have a particular nonfic book that you think is great, you can share that too! I love to hear new ideas!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 17, 2013

There is one about a woman farmer. Be sure to find some that are gender neutral. Ask your librarian. They have lists.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 18, 2013

Even Firefighters Hug Their Mom

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2013

There is Maybe you should fly a jet? (do you want to be a pizza maker? a ticket taker? a zoo keeper? ) Kids love to yell out yes! or no!! by Theo Le Seig (Dr. Seuss) Also Grandmothers Alphabet has jobs from A to Z Both are good for lower grades :) I love to have them draw themselves in their chosen career! Very cute!