community helpers and friendship

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msaly, Sep 19, 2007.

1. msaly

msaly Comrade

Sep 19, 2007

hello! I am having a hard time coming up with ideas for fire safety/community helpers theme and friendship theme.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 19, 2007

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 20, 2007

I used to lump community helpers together for at least two weeks worth. Now I spread most of them out through the year. Aug.-school helpers Sept.-family (what are some of the jobs parents in our class have?), pets (vet) Oct.-safety (police & fire) Jan.-we've had had Sea World trainer bring a penquin to school!, health (nurse visit-usually a parent in our school or someone we know) Feb.-trip to the post office to mail valentines & tour...... anyway, you get the idea. We have as many people come to us as possible rather than field trips. We have also been to the police department's horse stables, the fire station, library, grocery store, produce market, Perkins restuarant for breakfast, to a local park & met the park ranger-they allow the children to fish & the ranger gives a presentation on kinds of fish, how to fish, etc. There's a lot you can do! Have fun!

5. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 23, 2007

We do a three week unit on community helpers. The first week is fire/police, the second is docs/dentists, the third is neighborhood helpers like postmen, store clerks, waiters, etc.

Last year the fire dept. brought their truck to us and then showed the kids their uniforms, had them see what they looked like in them, etc. The DARE officer at our school came to visit them too.

We had a doc (another teacher's husband) and a dentist (parent at the school) come in to talk about their jobs, and show the kids how to brush their teeth, what different tools look like, etc.

The last week we did with the mail, stores, etc., was done on Valentine's day week so that the kids could get "mail" (which also helped talk about sending Valentines to their friends and family).

Activities you could do are numerous:
    -have the kids make mail boxes out of cereal boxes.
    -open up a classroom post office and have the children write letters to you or their friends. You can also write letters to them.
    -make phones and teach the kids the number 911
    -teach the kids about stop, drop, and roll
    -have kids and their parents develop a fire plan
    -talk about safety in the community/at home (don't play with matches, stoves are hot, look both ways before you cross the street, etc

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 23, 2007

7. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 23, 2007

We use popscicle sticks to make firefighter ladders. We glue the sticks on long strips of paper. I do this in my art center in small groups. We then glue a paper fire fighter on the ladder when it is dry. We then compare who has the longest ladder, the shortest ladder, count how many steps are on each ladder etc.. It is a great fine motor and math project. I do teach Kindergarten, but i think that PreK could do it too.