Community Collaborations

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WaProvider, Apr 20, 2011.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 20, 2011

Things are slow, and I miss you....so here is a question to see if I can not only find some answers to my own quest.....but get some chatter going here again. :cool:

In my community we have few collaborations between the K-12 programs and the preschool programs. Things like alignment meetings, or transferring files from Early Ed Experiences to K-12. I sit on a Community Committee that seeks to improve this gap in services. Within our committee we have some great collaborations and there are many organizations there: Head Start, ECEAP (state funded), Family Home programs, Library Systems ( group of libararies in many towns headed by one overarching group), Early Reading Foundation, and the Education Service District which just recently funded (through grant dollars and only short term) a Early Ed Director.

In your area, in your niche, how do you feel the community collaborations are going?

Do you feel heard and respected?

Do your collaborations seem to be only between you and a couple of people in other settings or are they systemic?

Thanks.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2011

I'm not in preschool anymore, but we have limited communications moving from 4-5 and 6-7 when our students move schools, yet alone moving within a school. We have our curriculum maps and pacing guides but beyond that there is little vertical alignment recently...probably due to budget cuts.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 20, 2011

The best colaboration I ever had was a group of Teen Parent CEOs. We met and defined roles, and agreed not to duplicate services. Once, we even applied for state funding together to fund one staff member to be shared by all of us. Any group of people is only as good as the individual members.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 21, 2011

Thanks, that is exactly what I am hoping is to help this group of leaders design a plan that will alleviate the issues mopar spoke of.

Mopar you said that you had alignment once....what did that look like?

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Apr 21, 2011

Collaboration

This is what I would like to do as well. Everyone says they would like to do it but it is slow to get started. This year I am proposing that we schedule time to meet, the preschool teachers and the kindergarten teachers at least twice this year to share ideas and expectations.

Over the summer, I plan to visit a number of early education programs in the area because I would like to see how other programs are doing outside of HS. I've joined organizations and I'm getting active in them. I'm also going to be part of a study group this summer of other leaders in early education in the area.